Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF, not going anywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Default SHTF, not going anywhere

Last week we went on vacation to europe. We spent the whole week walking or on public transportation. This taught me something very important: I will NOT be bugging out. Now, I'm pretty active and all, but that made me pretty tired, all that walking. Add in the terrain and I don't think I'd make it. Besides, bug out to where? We live in Southern NH, not many places to go to. In addition, my wife is not at all accustomed to overland anything, particularly walking. If on a skimobile, she might have a chance. AND, I have crappy knees. While on vacation, I slightly bumped my knee on the tub, and felt it for the rest of the week. Aggravated an old injury.
So suffice it to say, We'll be better off storing stuff and hopefully in the future planting stuff, and staying home. I also hope to get a small group together in case something happens. It seems to me that there would still be a lot of luck involved in surviving something like this, but if not where better to die than at home, right?
I have also been thinking about our location strategically. I was never in the military, so I'm not sure how to do this, but in one direction, we overlook a near cliff, with a river at the bottom, a main road next to that, and the whole road and river is actually in a valley.
Anyway, plans are coming together, VERY slowly, though. More thinking going on than anything.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Last week we went on vacation to europe. We spent the whole week walking or on public transportation. This taught me something very important: I will NOT be bugging out. Now, I'm pretty active and all, but that made me pretty tired, all that walking. Add in the terrain and I don't think I'd make it. Besides, bug out to where? We live in Southern NH, not many places to go to. In addition, my wife is not at all accustomed to overland anything, particularly walking. If on a skimobile, she might have a chance. AND, I have crappy knees. While on vacation, I slightly bumped my knee on the tub, and felt it for the rest of the week. Aggravated an old injury.
So suffice it to say, We'll be better off storing stuff and hopefully in the future planting stuff, and staying home. I also hope to get a small group together in case something happens. It seems to me that there would still be a lot of luck involved in surviving something like this, but if not where better to die than at home, right?
I have also been thinking about our location strategically. I was never in the military, so I'm not sure how to do this, but in one direction, we overlook a near cliff, with a river at the bottom, a main road next to that, and the whole road and river is actually in a valley.
Anyway, plans are coming together, VERY slowly, though. More thinking going on than anything.
IMHO you're way ahead of most in that you understand how difficult it would be to walk indefinitely, and with a 200lb pack.

I have a bug out bag and would leave if given no other option, but I keep the minimum amount of supplies. My pack is around 20lbs and that gets old after a couple of miles. I might not have everything to make like comfortable in my pack, but I can carry what I do have. It would just really suck to have to.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Anywhere in NH is a step ahead of many others. Well, not in Littleton anymore but you know what I mean. You ARE ahead of the game. Still got alotta mountain people there and you can only canibalize the Boston aholes for so long...

Be interested to know where in Europe you were...

Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #4

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
You got the right idea, bugging out to where..? Then when they find you bugging out to where else...? Your best bet is to stockpile, and stay put. I know Militia is a bad word now, but you just need to form a small one in your neighborhood. Like minded people, who stockpile goods, who plan to come together in SHTF situation, to sleep in shifts, and fight off the people that were not prepared , and now want to steal your preps/ send out armed patrols for water / etc. - not complicated... HCC..Hamilton County Constitutionalist.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
You got the right idea, bugging out to where..? Then when they find you bugging out to where else...? Your best bet is to stockpile, and stay put. I know Militia is a bad word now, but you just need to form a small one in your neighborhood. Like minded people, who stockpile goods, who plan to come together in SHTF situation, to sleep in shifts, and fight off the people that were not prepared , and now want to steal your preps/ send out armed patrols for water / etc. - not complicated... HCC..Hamilton County Constitutionalist.
"Bug out to where?" is a great question that everyone should already have an answer for. There are any number of events that could result in you having to bug out. It should be an absolute last resort, but it is something to be prepared for. The world is full of refugees, and I'm guessing a good many of them never figured they would end up in that position.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #6

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
"Bug out to where?" is a great question that everyone should already have an answer for. There are any number of events that could result in you having to bug out. It should be an absolute last resort, but it is something to be prepared for. The world is full of refugees, and I'm guessing a good many of them never figured they would end up in that position.
I cant think of any place that i could get to on foot, that i would be better off than staying where im at with my preps, and 17 other prepared people. Unless your talking about a dirty bomb/fallout/biological threat. In that situation, you would need to get further away/faster than you could on foot. So might as well just grab your flip flops, and drive to Myrtle Beach....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
So might as well just grab your flip flops, and drive to Myrtle Beach....
I'd hit the Savannah river and ride it down to the coast (less traffic), or follow it up to the mountains depending on what direction I needed to go.

I'm not saying bugging out is a good idea, but it might be better than not? In your case how far are you from the Ohio river or the Great lakes? There's more than one way to travel. Again, nothing ideal but something to keep in mind if need be. That's why you put together some sort of plan and give it a little thought. I wouldn't say go buy a boat but just give it a little thought just in case.

And Myrtle Beach isn't any fun unless its summer time.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #8

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If bugging out is the only option... I've been taking more measures to make it more survivable. I'm working on living a lower impact lifestyle, but at this point, I wouldn't expect more than three to five days of survival. Not being pessimistic, just realistic. Going hiking every weekend, dieting, getting off nicotine and caffeine...

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #9

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

THANK YOU, clr8ter,

for a refreshing dose of reality.

I get so tired of all the

"I must be Peter Pan! I'm going to bug out, for

some unspecified spot in the mountains I've

personally never been to, carrying

a shotgun, 2 assault rifles, a .22LR, 3 pistols,

5000 rounds for each, 5 gallons of water, a 3-week

supply of food, an axe, maul, hand-axe, 36" bow saw,

trenching tool, fishing gear,500 feet of rope, binoculars,

swiss army knife, survival knife, Bowie knife, machete,

7 large rolls of duct tape, 2000 feet of para-cord,

a years supply of clothes, yadda, yadda, blar,blar, etc...".

Last edited by therewolf; 05-06-2013 at 05:22 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #10

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

LOL! That's a lot of ****!

We were in Switzerland. (Did you know that's not it's real name? It's Confederation of Helvetica. Hence all their websites are .CH) Visited Zurich, Geneva, and Luzern.

Actually, the question "bugging out to where" is what started me thinking. Hockalouis, I don't know where you live, (how do you know about Littleton?) but here in Southern NH, we're not as far ahead as you think. VERY dense, for the most part, there are some places it gets "less dense". Also, we're only 60ish miles from Boston, and have some main roads coming right to here from there. Not good. Our population would go up is something happened.
Readygirl, how about instead of "Militia" we use "friends"? 'Cause if they're not friends or relatives, they're not coming.......
Mmm, so many things to say on this issue......will save for later.