Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF- Most Likely Scenario?

View Poll Results: What is the most likely/plausible SHTF type scenario in the near future?
Revolution/Civil War 23 23.47%
Plague-caused civilization collapse 7 7.14%
Foreign invasion 3 3.06%
UN Invasion 2 2.04%
Martial Law 21 21.43%
Natural Disaster 32 32.65%
Nuclear Attack 4 4.08%
Zombie apocalypse? 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
@ TheDaggle.

Question is, are these virus mutations natural? Or are they genetically altered in the labs and released accidentally (or intentionally)?
Uh, really?

Natural. Mutations occur naturally. They are a fundamental part of nature. They are extremely common.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #22
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I still say Revolution or Civil War would top the list, but it is becoming more unlikely all the time with the poll results swinging in favor of true Conservatives.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Uh, really?

Natural. Mutations occur naturally. They are a fundamental part of nature. They are extremely common.
I know and not questioning that...just asking which is it.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RairWeatherSmok View Post
I guess a complete disruption of the food & water supply caused by climate changes is considered a natural disaster.
Are you serious?

Dont you mean "climate disruption" sweetie??

FOXNews.com - White House: Global Warming Out, 'Global Climate Disruption' In

Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #25

Default Breakdown

Wow this poll shows a lot. Since martial law is more of a symptom of civil war, if you combine those two categories, civil war is tied with natural disaster.

If you voted civil war or martial law, why do you think that's gonna happen?

From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow, and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself.
Semper Fidelis

Owns- Henry Lever Action .22

Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Come on Zombies!
Seriously though, I'm going with natural disaster.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #27

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I am with you brother.

The main reason I did not even consider going to California is it being in an earthquake belt. Memories of an 8.1 earthquake experience is kinda difficult to shake off. It was so bad for me that the political climate there did not even cross my mind. I guess I got lucky.

Honestly, the scariest part of the US for me would be anywhere within 750 mile radius of the Yellowstone Park (up to 1,500 mile eastward). I also experienced volcanic eruptions and if the Yellowstone caldera is anywhere near as strong/destructive as it is projected to be, may God have mercy on us all when it erupts.
If Yellowstone erupts, the lucky ones will be within that 750+ mile radius of pyroclastic destruction. Most of the rest will be subject to what is referred to as a planet wide nuclear like winter which will probably last for quite a few years. There wil be nowhere to go or hide from this anywhere on earth. It will be a mass extinction event. Don't get me wrong because a few will survive, however, there wont be a population problem anymore anywhere on earth for quite a long time afterwards. Yellowstone is a known Super Volcano which is due to errupt sometime soon. When I say sometime soon I mean that in geological time which can be anytime from tomorrow or 1000 years from now.

So as you might have guessed I cast my vote for a natural disaster.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #28
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1811 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 3703

This is from prison planet, scary!

Forget a Recession, The Empire is Crumbling

I look around me and I see an Empire in Decline.

The US economy is clearly in a depression… not a recession, not a recovery, but a DEPRESSION of a moral, social, and financial nature.

More than 40 million Americans (12%) are on Food stamps. Nearly one in five of us are unemployed of underemployed. Folks go to Wal-Mart at 11PM waiting for their government checks to clear at midnight so they can buy baby formula, milk and other necessities.

Three out of every five Americans are overweight. One in five are obese. Indeed, there are only two areas (one state, Colorado, and Washington DC) where obesity rates are under 20%.

Nearly three in four of us don’t get enough sleep. Almost one third of us report having trouble falling asleep EVERY night. And almost half of us report that day-time sleepiness interferes with normal activities including work.

Half of marriages end in divorce. One out of ten married couples report sleeping alone. The average American watches 28 hours of TV a week (enough to qualify for a part-time job). Two thirds of us eat dinner while watching TV, preferring the fake, sensationalized lives of others to engaging with our own families.

The TV and media are filled with foul, ungodly images of sex, violence, and hate. The most watched shows of the last decade all feature ordinary folks becoming superstars in lottery-esque competitions (American Idol, Survivor, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, etc) OR crime sagas detailing the most sordid and disgusting elements of society (CSI, Law and Order, etc) OR amoral social dramas in which notions of personal responsibility, fidelity, and common decency are unknown (Desperate Housewives, the Bachelorette, etc).

Today, brain dead, vapid human beings who have contributed nothing to society are idolized and followed as though they invented the wheel. We’ve actually got two industries devoted to presenting the illusion and reality of celebrity: Hollywood shows the photo-shopped, CGI-enhanced, scripted version, while the paparazzi and weekly glossies reveal the drug-addicted, affair-crazed, family breaking, soul-less emptiness.

Sex or violence are plastered on virtually every flat surface available. Even the check-out lines at the grocery store feature endless images of barely clothed women along with headlines sensationalizing gruesome behavior, right out in the open for children to see. And if the kid can actually read the headlines… God only knows what ideas this stuff is putting into their heads.

Financially, we’re all pretty much bust or going bust (except those on Wall Street).

New home sales in July were a RECORD low. Not record as in for the year, but the lowest since 1963. The talking heads are high fiving because sales improved in August, but failed to note that they were still DOWN 19% from August 2009 levels.

Americans two primary assets for retirement (stocks and their homes) have both been absolute disasters. Home prices are down 30%, stocks haven’t produced gains in over a decade. Every moron on TV talks about the Dow 10,000 like it’s a miracle. But when you adjust the Dow for inflation, (using the BLS’ ridiculous CPI measure) the Dow is SUB-500 in terms of purchasing power.

Our money system is controlled by an elite banking oligarchy fronted by academics who have never run a business, invented anything, or had any interaction with commerce aside from vying for tenure. Our currency is now worth less than 1/20th of what it was a century ago. And we are ALL in debt up to our eyeballs on a personal, corporate, local, state, and federal level.

Heck, even USA TODAY (not exactly the cutting edge in financial research) notes that in order to pay off our current liabilities, every US family would have to pay $31,000 a year… for 75 YEARS!!!

And we’re talking about an economic recovery?

According to David Rosenberg of Gluskin Sheff:

Wages & salaries are still down 3.7% from the prior peak;
Corporate profits are still down 20% from the peak;
Real GDP is still down 1.3% from the peak;
Industrial production is still down 7.2% from the peak;
Employment is still down 5.5% from the peak;
Retail sales are still down 4.5% from the peak;
Manufacturing orders are still down 22.1% from the peak;
Manufacturing shipments are still down 12.5% from the peak;
Exports are still down 9.2% from the peak;
Housing starts are still down 63.5% from the peak;
New home sales are still down 68.9% from the peak;
Existing home sales are still down 41.2% from the peak;
Non-residential construction is still down 35.7% from the peak.
The American Psychological Association reports that 73% of Americans cite money as a source of significant stress. Personal bankruptcies have fallen 8% month over month from July to August. However, August 2010 bankruptcies are up 6% from August 2009… so much for the recovery.

And yet, despite all of this, assumedly intelligent people write op-ed articles and appear on TV claiming that things are swell in the US, that we’re actually OK and that the recession is over. Some of these people even have advanced degrees or have won international prizes for economics.

Let’s be honest. Forget recessions, forget even Depressions, the US is an empire in decline.

You can literally see it crumbling right in front of you. Just start looking at how people live, eat, and act on a day to day basis. Look at how our Government runs itself, how it manages our affairs, how it spends our tax Dollars. Look at how our justice system works, who it protects and who it punishes.

It’s all out there, right in the open for you to see. You don’t need an expert degree or some kind of advanced education. It’s OBVIOUS to anyone who bothers looking around.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #29

Liked 685 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I personally think that the Muslim extremists will pull off a MASSIVE attack that will cause a short spat of Muslims (and those that look like Muslims) getting shot, beaten, hung, etc out of pure anger.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bigcountry02, you just painted the bleakest outlook imaginable for our country.

It is sad to say, that much of it is true.

Is it time to build a bunker in the mountains? Or, is there even that much time left...

Things have been bad before, and chances are they will get better. You should hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

Maybe it is time to take a survivalist stance.