SHTF- Most Likely Scenario? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF- Most Likely Scenario?

View Poll Results: What is the most likely/plausible SHTF type scenario in the near future?
Revolution/Civil War 23 23.47%
Plague-caused civilization collapse 7 7.14%
Foreign invasion 3 3.06%
UN Invasion 2 2.04%
Martial Law 21 21.43%
Natural Disaster 32 32.65%
Nuclear Attack 4 4.08%
Zombie apocalypse? 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Yes it can and that's a scenario I have prepared for. However, I think it is more likely to follow a natural or economic disaster than it is to be an autonomous incident.
I've posted this else where but I went through a lot of natural disasters...most people actually behave well during natural disasters. Nothing of the sort that most people who prepare for SHTF ever happens. Unless Americans are worse than 3rd world countries who live it regularly NOW, we should do just fine.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I live in Sacramento and it's scary to think of some of the various scenarios that could occur here. It is our main objective to leave this city and California for a better location. I want the odds tilted in our favor as much as possible.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The Fed/Treasury/Congress keep on track spending money by creating money and monetizing our own debt. Ultimately, the value of the dollar must fall very rapidly. This will set off a run on the banks, concern and borderline panic will set in. Prices for fuel, food and other goods will steadily climb pretty quickly. Ultimately, the value of the dollar falls to the point where government benefits of all kinds do little or no good.

Over 30% of the population is on the dole one way or another. They won't sit home quietly and wait to die. They will want what they've been told for generations they are entitled to, and they will come after those who have more than they do to get it.

Massive civil unrest is a potential problem and a likely one if we keep on spending and monetizing debt like we have.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #14

I voted for civil war and it was really a toss up between that and natural disaster. A natural disaster usually impacts only a very small area of the country when you look at the overall size of our country. As several other people have pointed out the lack of money/benefits will more then likely be this countries downfall (I hope not). Those who have lived on hand outs will suddenly be without and will take to the streets. Martial law will be declared. Gun confiscation will be ordered IE: New Orleans. And so it will go.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I disagree with any notion of civil war. People are too complacent, and those entitlement people are too lazy to begin with. Oh, sure they'll loot the weak on their block, but not in states like Texas.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #16

Default Naturla Disaster

I guess a complete disruption of the food & water supply caused by climate changes is considered a natural disaster.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I live in Sacramento and it's scary to think of some of the various scenarios that could occur here. It is our main objective to leave this city and California for a better location. I want the odds tilted in our favor as much as possible.
I am with you brother.

The main reason I did not even consider going to California is it being in an earthquake belt. Memories of an 8.1 earthquake experience is kinda difficult to shake off. It was so bad for me that the political climate there did not even cross my mind. I guess I got lucky.

Honestly, the scariest part of the US for me would be anywhere within 750 mile radius of the Yellowstone Park (up to 1,500 mile eastward). I also experienced volcanic eruptions and if the Yellowstone caldera is anywhere near as strong/destructive as it is projected to be, may God have mercy on us all when it erupts.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The Spanish flu killed upwards of 50 million people in just two years. That was about 3% of the world population at the time. And that was before widely used air transport.

Epidemiologists were so worried about the avian and swine flus largely because they shared characteristics with the spanish flu that are very uncommon. One of the alarming features was the death rate amongst healthy 15-65 year olds. Most flus kill the very old, the very young, and those with compromised immune systems. The Spanish flu actually caused the body to radically over-produce immune responses, which became the real cause of death. The body's own immune system would eat it from the inside out. Those who were very old, young, or weak didn't have the immune strength to produce these results, so they died at a less elevated rate. The avian and swine flus seemed to do the same thing.
The only reason these flus never reached pandemic status was their relative difficulty getting into or out of human cells. If a virus can easily invade human cells, but not easily leave them, then it cannot spread efficiently and the short lifespan of viruses will spell their own demise in the body. It only takes one small mutation in one viral organism out of trillions to change the name of the game. If one organism (from the avian or swine flus) develops the ability to easily exfiltrate itself from human cells, while in a human host, suddenly you have a big f****n problem.
Basically, one mutation, and not statistically unlikely one, could wipe out hundreds of millions or billions of people in a matter of months.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@ TheDaggle.

Question is, are these virus mutations natural? Or are they genetically altered in the labs and released accidentally (or intentionally)?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The last time a hurricane headed for New Orleans, the first supplies to sell out were, not food, or water, but AR-15's. I am not making any judgments based on this observation, but you may. There was significant looting, and personal protection has a high priority, during a natural disaster.

Here is the article