SHTF levels 1 to 5 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF levels 1 to 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I guess we had a Level 3 up here during the Ice Storm of í98. Didnít that reach down into Rochcester?
No, didn't reach that far west or south. No recollection of anything unusual in '98.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #22

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
No, didn't reach that far west or south. No recollection of anything unusual in '98.
I guess it didn't. We were without power for over two weeks, and we had it easy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Ice_Storm_of_1998

Last edited by Vincine; 08-20-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1853 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 4119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South View Post
One huge difference about leaving the country (USA) and Germany or other European countries during or before WWII is geography. For us in the states you have two options that don't require air or boat travel and one those options don't look good. Also the sheer area possibly needed to travel. Say FL to Canada. In Europe countries tend to be the size of states here.
I'm not saying it would be easy. I'm sure it wasn't easy for many of the Jews that left Germany and came to the U.S., but I'm guessing it was worth it?

It's unlikely that any of us would ever have to leave the country, but then again the world is full of refuges. This isn't something I plan to spend a lot of time thinking about, but it is something to consider. What country would you try to get to?
How would you try to get there or what's the closest port?
What things would help you carry to start over in another country?

Just some things to consider.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #24

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I'm not saying it would be easy. I'm sure it wasn't easy for many of the Jews that left Germany and came to the U.S., but I'm guessing it was worth it?

It's unlikely that any of us would ever have to leave the country, but then again the world is full of refuges. This isn't something I plan to spend a lot of time thinking about, but it is something to consider. What country would you try to get to?
How would you try to get there or what's the closest port?
What things would help you carry to start over in another country?

Just some things to consider.
A different type of SHTF, is a lot of people get too old to work and didn't save up for retirement. A large number of American retirees move to Mexico, Panama and a couple other countries where their small retirement savings and social security go a lot farther. These people don't move there because it's awesome. They probably didn't plan to move there, but when SHTF in retirement, many find themselves doing that. Large number of ex-pat American retirees flee south.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #25

Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

This is a fascinating thread. Thumbs up to the OP. I agree with Tluker. I like to see the varying levels, in a list, so you can figure out to what extent you've planed. Care to elaborate on that Tluker, and give your opinion on what you'd need or need to do for each level?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
This is a fascinating thread. Thumbs up to the OP. I agree with Tluker. I like to see the varying levels, in a list, so you can figure out to what extent you've planed. Care to elaborate on that Tluker, and give your opinion on what you'd need or need to do for each level?
I'm still thinking about each level myself. I had never really thought about having to leave the country until this thread, but that is something to keep in mine. What Marthor brought up is also interesting. Most planning for SHTF is for sudden catastrophic events. It would probably be good to think about a slow steady decline into SHTF as well. That could be from economic decline in a region such as Detroit or from retirement. The retirement part is especially important now with the track that social security is on. I've also been very skeptical of 401k's. The baby boomers have a ton of money tied up in Wall Street thanks to their 401k's. I can't image wall street ever giving all that money back, but that could just be me being paranoid? I also can't help but to think about Rome. The western empire had been in decline for years before it finally fell.

I'm thinking of the different levels as a way to identify the geographic scope of an event(s), and possible ways out. Then there is the time factor. Is it a fast or slow event? But first you have to identify the event.

Yep, I'm still thinking about this myself.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #27

Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

I think part of the problem is NOT being able to identify the event, before it happens, and more importantly, WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Looking back, I suppose I have been preparing for a slow declining event, but somehow not thinking of it in this way. I agree about the 401K, we do not have one (my wife or I). Wall St. give something back? PHHHT! Yeah right......you're not paranoid, just ahead of the curve, IMHO. We also have no money on Wall St.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I think part of the problem is NOT being able to identify the event, before it happens, and more importantly, WHEN IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING.
I agree completely.

And here's an interesting point a history teacher once mad about how time can shape our perceptions. Just a few generations after the fall of Rome almost no one in Rome knew anything thing bad had happened. The Coliseum was literally a trash dump complete with packs of wild dogs, poverty and disease were everywhere, and those people were living in SHTF without even knowing it. It had become everyday life to them and they weren't exactly educated so they had no idea as to what had previously existed other than there were a lot of ruins.

That always stuck with me. Things could be in decline without most even noticing anything had changed if the change is slow enough. A bad situation is a bad situation even if it takes a long time to get there. Detroit took a long time to get to where it is now and I can't imagine what its going to look like in a another 20 years. Actually I can't image what a lot of places are going to look like in another 20 years, but I'm guessing it won't be good? Just an example of how some of that could potentially play out; a lot of the food many people are storing could end up being supplements to the little bit of food they can bring in as opposed to those stores being the primary means of subsistence?