Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF levels 1 to 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default SHTF levels 1 to 5

This would be an interesting analysis to develop levels of SHTF...

Level 1 is an economic depression or a large area natural disaster. Eurozone breakup. Stock market crash.

Level 2 is something we haven't seen recently and needs to be worldwide. A deadly plague, WW III (conventional), A food shortage that hungers over 1 billion more people, an energy shortage that turns off power for 1st world countries for extended periods of time (not rolling blackouts or temporary), many governments fall simultaneously

Level 3 is doomsday level stuff. Local nuclear exchange. A massive sun flare that wipes out satellites and electricity worldwide. Collapse of world trade. At least a billion dead in a year.

Level 4 is human race survival SHTF ...zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, Noah's worldwide flood, dinosaur meteor, ice age with glaciers down to Mexico. Multi-Billions dead if not everybody.

This topic deserves more thought than a couple minutes. I think doomsday preppers should come up with a standard level one to five levels. That would be useful to a lot of people! Then after defining the levels you can identify what sort of preps you need to do to be prepared for that level.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wait, I thought the whole idea of calling it "**** Hit The Fan" is because a lesser problem just doesn't cut it?

**** Hit The Fan is exactly that. It's the "oh ****. We're just gonna have to survive" moment.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

That's the general usage of the term, but there are obviously worse SHTF situations than others and a wide variety of different scenarios.

Yeah, I'm ready for SHTF... you've got a nuclear hardened underground shelter with 5 years of food and water? No. Oh, you're a Level 2. What do I need to be level 4 ready? You need...

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

An interesting idea. Level descriptions based on event effects might be more ‘useful’ than level descriptions based on just what the events themselves are.

For example:
xx% of the population without the means to support themselves (for whatever reason);
Breakdown of the financial infrastructure (hyperinflation, fiat currency collapse, etc.);
Breakdown of basic necessities distribution (food, fuel, medicine, water, power, etc.);
Breakdown of communication infrastructure (broadcast, cable, networks, etc.);
Breakdown of accepted social order, rule of law (rioting, bandits, etc.);

Maybe the level is determined by a point system by what the failure is and how extensive it is.

You might even extend the levels to the compensation activities communities will be putting in place. Citing the rise of local: communication networks, local & community supported farms, markets & currency, etc.

Maybe it's a minus (breakdown) / plus (compensation) scale like a launch/mission countdown.

I betcha a scale like this already exists somewhere.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

Liked 114 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor
This would be an interesting analysis to develop levels of SHTF...

Level 1 is an economic depression or a large area natural disaster. Eurozone breakup. Stock market crash.

Level 2 is something we haven't seen recently and needs to be worldwide. A deadly plague, WW III (conventional), A food shortage that hungers over 1 billion more people, an energy shortage that turns off power for 1st world countries for extended periods of time (not rolling blackouts or temporary), many governments fall simultaneously

Level 3 is doomsday level stuff. Local nuclear exchange. A massive sun flare that wipes out satellites and electricity worldwide. Collapse of world trade. At least a billion dead in a year.

Level 4 is human race survival SHTF ...zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, Noah's worldwide flood, dinosaur meteor, ice age with glaciers down to Mexico. Multi-Billions dead if not everybody.

This topic deserves more thought than a couple minutes. I think doomsday preppers should come up with a standard level one to five levels. That would be useful to a lot of people! Then after defining the levels you can identify what sort of preps you need to do to be prepared for that level.
If those are 1-4 out of 5 I'm scared to ask what 5 is.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

That was just a first stab at defining levels of SHTF. 5 would be nice, but it doesn't have to be 5. Whatever makes sense.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I was just picking at you. Looks like 4 on your list has about the worst case possible. I'm sure it could be worse but I think it would be hard to imagine.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

I just did a little googling and 5 levels seem to be what has been used most. What I found was about businesses, data loss, hospital disasters, etc. Not any comprehensive community wide scale.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16831 Times on 9754 Posts
Likes Given: 43897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South View Post
If those are 1-4 out of 5 I'm scared to ask what 5 is.
level 5 is when one very large asteroid hits earth, then it simply doesn't exist anymore!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 911 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

I think classifying events by level of severity is a great idea. The only thing I would really change in the list is to make #1 a localized event such as Katrina:

Level 1: Localized natural or economic disaster i.e. Katrina or the rust belt.

Level 2 is a national economic depression or a large area natural disaster. Eurozone breakup, Stock market crash, National Pandemic, national economic collapse.

Level 3 is something we haven't seen recently and needs to be worldwide. A deadly plague, WW III (conventional), A food shortage that hungers over 1 billion more people, an energy shortage that turns off power for 1st world countries for extended periods of time (not rolling blackouts or temporary), many governments fall simultaneously

Level 4 is doomsday level stuff. Local nuclear exchange. A massive sun flare that wipes out satellites and electricity worldwide. Collapse of world trade. At least a billion dead in a year.

Level 5 is human race survival SHTF ...zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, Noah's worldwide flood, dinosaur meteor, ice age with glaciers down to Mexico. Multi-Billions dead if not everybody.

What I like about having the levels categorized is it makes planning easier.

A good plan A for a level 1 event would be to leave the area. That plan would include having a place to go.

Level 2 would require a plan for leaving the country. At the moment I'm thinking such a plan could have benefited a lot of Jews just before WWII.

For Level 3 there might not be anywhere to go so it would require a different approach than level 1 or 2. (bug in or out?)

Level 4 and you're probably going to need a bunker and maybe a boat?

Level 5 and your best bet is probably going to prayer, bullets, and an ark.

Not much need for a level 6?