SHTF Guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF Guns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ill go as long as I can with that quiet little 22. Don't need the muzzle blast of the 5.56 or .308 immediately giving away my position.

So you guys and yer huntin rifles can just jump right up in goalline defense and fight it out civil war style.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You planning on bringing that ruckus to the spitty farm?
Only if I am in your AO and you want to trade or barter and I am not fired upon first, brother.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

First Do you really think that 308, 223, and 30-06 will he easy to find once the SHTF? I highly doubt that. Because Everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, Grandma, and grandpa has one or more Like me I have all three. 22lr is also going to be one of the first things looted out of any store that has it. Your best bet is to dig in and wait it out patrol the perimeter and take care of your own.

That is what I am thinking. In my area I may run to the hills just because I live within striking distance of the lowlifes and giveme hords out of DC....

I will sit on the top of my house and watch all you effign mall ninja wanna-be and your elite team fighting guys fight it out in the street then once it is all done I will sneek down in the middle of the night and take what I can. I wonder how Leg of mall-ninja taste?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I wonder how Leg of mall-ninja taste?
Like chicken. I like mine with BBQ sauce and a little bit of cheese.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Only if I am in your AO and you want to trade or barter and I am not fired upon first, brother.

Jack
Just ID yourself and you should be fine.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hello the camp!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There's NO WAY you'll be able to successfully engage a rifleman at 100 yards-especially if they're firing at you and all you have is a 9mm pistol. You might THINK you can but doing so is another matter entirely. You've never been in a real firefight have you? People don't just stand there and wait for you to hit them.
I never said I can "take on" a rifleman at 100 yards. I DID, however, say that I am not going to be engaging in every firefight I can with the expectation I will always win. It should be obvious, but nobody gets into a firefight without expecting to win. Unfortunately, one side is going to lose. The more often I actively engage threats, the greater the odds of me eventually losing, no matter how much heat I'm packing.

If I am creeping down some alley or whatever and a bullet hits the wall next to my head, it wouldn't matter if I had a pocket pistol or a scoped M1A. If I don't IMMEDIATELY move, there is a good chance his next shot will be in my chest. It doesn't matter what you have. While you are trying to locate the shooter with your ears and through your scope, that shooter is going to be watching you the whole time, getting ready to place his second and likely final shot on you, a stationary target. If he has a scoped, rifle the odds of you beating him to the punch are very slim and running is a much safer option. If the weapon is NOT a suitable long-range weaon (say, a bead-sighted shotgun with foster slogs), even still, you are now even better off running as he won't have nearly the precision to hit a moving target as a scoepd rifle. Unless your ego is driving you or you absolutely have to get past / to his location, there is no reason to engage.

So, while some people here will expect to be able to take out every threat within 300 yards will end up dead trying to take on stationary defensive targets, I'll be the guy MOVING away from the threat to survive another day, or at LEAST to flank the shooter if avoiding that location is not an option.

But, yes. If I dive on the ground I can place accurate shots inside a 12" target from 100 yards with my pistol. If the situation warrants it, I can at least place accurate covering fire to get their heads down to get to safety. Realistically, however, the only reason I'd need to shoot that far would be if I am defending a fixed position from moving targets, or if I am trying to protect loved ones while they move away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Also once you do get a .22 pistol you need to hunt small game with that actual gun. When the SHTF comes if you havn't already got experience with the firearms you'll be using it won't be very easy to hunt with them. It won't be any easier then than it is now, and probably a lot harder since you won't be the only 1 with that idea.
As mentioned above, I am a pretty good shot with a pistol, especially a scoped one (which I'd have). I am confident I'd be able to shoot 4-5MOA, especially from a supported position, which means squirrels to 50 yards and slightly larger targets to perhaps 100.

BTW, what's all this talk about murdering random people for their gear when you need it? Way to make the point that gun-owners aren't all just crazy nutjobs looking for a chance to kill people... .

Murder definition:
[For one person to, without justification, kill another human being with malicious intent].

It is both unjustified and malicious to set up in a window or tree and stealthily kill non-threatening people simply for their equipment. I really hope I can count on other pro-gun people, especially the types who frequent these and similar forums, to do their best to help with the chaos or at least survive it as peacefully as possible, and not actively add to it for their own personal gain. If that is the case, then we are apparently no better than those liberal free-lunchers we all like to dog on so much...

If you are all just kidding, then I apologize and carry on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30
Do you really think that 308, 223, and 30-06 will he easy to find once the SHTF? I highly doubt that. Because Everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, Grandma, and grandpa has one or more Like me I have all three. 22lr is also going to be one of the first things looted out of any store that has it.
PLUS ONE! Here is something I posted somewhere else quite a while ago:

Quote:
As a civilian, it is a little silly expecting to be able to collect any sort of combat supplies from an enemy large enough that you know they will use a common caliber (either a military or an extremely organized militia).

If choosing .223 or 9mm or whatever just because our military uses it, and expecting to be able to "scrounge" off them, let me ask this: Do you think a civilian will be allowed to wander around battle fields or supply depots to gather military ammo (or any supplies) as they need it? Further, if the military is hit so hard and is in such bad shape that they don't bother hassling you over grabbing some of their gear from their dead comrades or abandoned supply depots, wouldn't you also expect the force which hit them so hard would be taking the place of that military? Whether it's zombies, a domestic uprising, or a foreign invasion, do you think if they managed to wipe out our military they would just then wander off to let the local civilians (who are on the same side as the enemy they just crushed), to waltz in and gather up all the leftover military equipment? Of course not--they would have already advanced into the position as they drive out our military. Thus, trying to move in to take some unused military gear would be incredibly dangerous.

Now, lets talk about standard "enemy" calibers like 7.62x39. If an organized foreign enemy attacks us, again, do you expect to be able to just waltz onto a battlefield and take ammo off dead soldiers? Are you going to hide in the bushes as battles take place, and sneak out to grab a few packs when you get the chance? Also, say our military finally defeats the enemy, do you think they would then let civilians walk around and pick up enemy weapons and supplies? Of course they wouldn't; they would likely stock them all up and destroy or store them.

A side note about using the most popular U.S. calibers that aren't necessarily current U.S. military calibers (.30-06, .45acp, .22lr, .30-30, 7.62x39, etc). Notice how these most popular calibers were the first to be wiped out of stock during this recent Obama gun scare? Common calibers have the advantage of low prices and better availability when things are going well, but when things start to get bad (or people are affraid things will go bad), they are also the first to go. Going to any gun store the day after a major disaster (nuke, biological weapon, etc), and all you will find will be the less common rifle calibers (.270, 7mm, .25-06, .338, maybe .243, and MAYBE some rare pistol ammo like .500 S&W, etc). So, don't expect to be able to find much of the most popular calibers at any public places. These common calibers will be the first to leave the shelves, while rare calibers like .270 or .338 and what-not should be locally available for a good bit longer.

Now, there are still some logistic advantages to common calibers. Even if you ended up being one of the few survivors of some horrible event (but don't expect to always be the LMOE), then through the process of looting uninhabited homes or even corposes you are much more likely to find common calibers. HOWEVER, at that point, said survivor would have a vast array of weapons to choose from, so it wouldn't matter what you started off with as it would be just as likely to find a common firearm (9mm pistol, AR15, .308 bolt-action, or a 12g shotgun) as it would be to find ammo for it.

In a nutshell, the situation would have to be SO SO SO BAD for one to expect to easily acquire the weapons or ammunition of any organized force (government militaries or even very well-organized militias), that I wouldn't bet much stock in it getting that far. I say find a caliber you are comfortable with, and try to stock up on it as much as you can. During a SHTF situation, don't count on being able to get much more of it, no matter what it is. If the situation isn't that bad, with societal fear being the only real enemy (like what caused the recent ammo and gun shortages), it will be no easier to acquire .223 or .308 than .25-06 or .270. If the situation basically causes production to cease, the popular calibers will disappear from the shelves very quickly, but even still, you might only find one box of the less common calibers here and there (so again, don't expect to be able to find a lot of even this).

Bar far the biggest reason to buy a weapon in a common caliber is so stocking up on ammo will be the easiest. If you spend $20 every time you went to Walmart to buy some ammo, you could have like (100) 9mm, (60) .223, but maybe (20) 7mm or .270. If I ever decide to buy a longer-range rifle, it will be in one of the common calibers (.223, or maybe .308) specifically for this reason.

Good luck and happy zombie surviving.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 01-31-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #28

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Where did we get these guys???

I see dead people.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Which guys?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Which guys?
I believe he was refering to you....I'm just sayin.

Closed Thread