SHTF Guns - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

SHTF Guns

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If SHTF I would go more for speed and ease of carry then for heavy firepower. I want to avoid a firefight or be able to extract myself from one if need be.

Most likely would carry a 9mm of some kind. Easy ammo to find and light to carry along with a scoped .22, again easy ammo to find and very light to carry. A good .22 would also be useful for small game hunting as I expect food would be an issue by the time I bug-out.

Granted this is all based on my plan of hunkering down during the start of a SHTF and then very quickly buging out to a more rural area when forced. More bug-in localtion to bug-out. Just my two cents.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

In a SHTF situation I will be using a mossberg 590 with a sling, top folding stock, and a mix of bird/buck shot and slugs. Serves most all purposes. a sidearm will be a 9mm pistol soon, most likely springfield xd, and later a .22 rifle with a scope. Always stock up and bug-in. Share supplies with neighbors and wait out the storm. If you HAVE to leave, the red cros and military should be there by then. Hopefully that is

Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't think it's very wise to take on a scoped rifle at 100 yards with a 9mm. It sounds like extremely poor odds.

If SHTF, the Red Cross will be taking care of the Red Cross. The Feds will be trying to get their heads out of their butts, particularly this current administration.
The free lunch leeches and welfare and entitlement crowd will fast become violent. They will eventually range further out of their comfort zones in search of survival.
And the libtards and progressives will begin to experience reality at a deadly pace.

Plan ahead, don't get married to one strategy, instead have multiple options and plans. Nobody can plan for every eventuality, but be flexible.

As far as my SHTF weapons go, I have what I need.

Good luck.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 01-30-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #14

Liked 108 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There's NO WAY you'll be able to successfully engage a rifleman at 100 yards-especially if they're firing at you and all you have is a 9mm pistol. You might THINK you can but doing so is another matter entirely. You've never been in a real firefight have you? People don't just stand there and wait for you to hit them.

Also once you do get a .22 pistol you need to hunt small game with that actual gun. When the SHTF comes if you havn't already got experience with the firearms you'll be using it won't be very easy to hunt with them. It won't be any easier then than it is now, and probably a lot harder since you won't be the only 1 with that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Thats like 50 pounds of weaponry :P .

Me? 9mm pistol only. Im gonna be moving if I have to bug out. I can hit a torso at 100 yards from the prone position with my pistol. Any further than that and they are either not a real threat and I would be moving the opposite direction (say a crazy guy shooting into the air with a revolver), or they ARE a real enough threat to justify killing (a guy with a scoped rifle trained on me), in which case I am endangering myself more by fighting than by running. Not to mention, it's a lot easier to move FAST with 25 pounds of gear, with maybe 5-7 pounds of it being a related to a small single weapon, than it is with 35 or 40 pounds of gear, with half of it being related to weaponry, or 80 pounds of gear, with two-thirds of it being related to weaponry.

In the near future I'll probably add a .22lr target pistol to that for small-game hunting. In the equally near future both of those will be suppressed.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #15

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My Marlin 60 and YHM suppressor will be hanging out in a bell tower somewhere.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Damn.....ok I see a lot of "forcefully acquired" and "liberated".22 rifles and 9mm pistols, not to mention what ever else ya'll got, in my SHTF future. I hope I will be able to do some good barter trading with them.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Damn.....ok I see a lot of "forcefully acquired" and "liberated".22 rifles and 9mm pistols, not to mention what ever else ya'll got, in my SHTF future. I hope I will be able to do some good barter trading with them.

Jack
You planning on bringing that ruckus to the spitty farm?

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #18

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post

Jack
Good point, Jack. Fact is that the .22 lr will take the 9mm (and supplies) at 100 yds. Then the guy on the hill with the .25-06 gets both, and then the next higher hill, the guy with the .223 gets their stuff, next hill, the .308 gets that, next hill, the .300 win mag gets that....all the way up to Olympus where Zeus has the .500 BMG...

Zeus and the BMG FTW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #19

Liked 108 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Good thinking except I don't see a 25-06 losing a long range battle to a .223.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #20

50lbs plus to carry. Didn't mean to carry all that, lol. You can choose what u want to carry. If u bug in that will be armament and calibers that are common and u can resupply if u happend to find them. Either in abandoned law enforcement vehicles or military, bases, police station etc, etc. By the way BEaR.....love your new avatar. Kicks ass.

Closed Thread