SHTF Bugout Locations
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF Bugout Locations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SHTF Bugout Locations

I was just curious where would everyone venture off to were the S to HTF?

Some people may have bug-out vehicles that are prepared for this to get them there, but I am curious about locations.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #2

I have been giving this some thought lately and I do not have a good answer. I guess depending on what/how bad I would take my wife and head to my parents small house, small town, 1/2 acre. Not the best but it is a good place to start from.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feastiewinkle View Post
I was just curious where would everyone venture off to were the S to HTF?

Some people may have bug-out vehicles that are prepared for this to get them there, but I am curious about locations.
If the S were to HTF and it looked to be a long-term issue and I was forced to leave my home, my family and several friends and their families would probably head to western Pennsylvania or the Adirondack state park depending on circumstances.

If I'm not forced to leave my home, I'll stay put. I have a freshwater spring in the back yard and no shortage of deer, wild turkey and other critters. Firewood is plentiful, too. It'd be stupid to leave if I didn't need to.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I'd probably have to stay put. I really have no other place to go, the rural areas are very primitive. The house is on higher ground than the surrounding area if flooding was a problem. Weather related trouble would strand me, but we'd have enough time to stockpile.

Roving gangs or civil unrest would make me stay home for sure. Just arm all members of the house. One good reason to own long range or "sniper" rifles.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #5

We already moved into ours. IT's located on a small body of water in a mostly rural area of Texas. several miles down a dirt road. It took a little getting used to but we manage.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #6

My easiest answer would be away from the issue depending on the circumstances. I have had this discussion with my wife and she thinks I am a moron. She is a big city Police Officer so more than likely she will have to go into work. I would grab the kids and head somewhere hoping to meet her again. As far as location I have no idea because this area could be instantly volatile in all directions. I would just have to rely on her to contact my folks on the east coast so we could pass information on to each other.

I keep telling her not to let the gas tank drop below half but she doesn't buy it.

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton

www.sabrearms.com
www.sabrearmsairsoft.com

Old 08-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxpayer View Post
We already moved into ours. IT's located on a small body of water in a mostly rural area of Texas. several miles down a dirt road. It took a little getting used to but we manage.
Millions of people you never met will insist on being your friend when the scenario happens. Now you need to have a plan to keep what you have.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Millions of people you never met will insist on being your friend when the scenario happens. Now you need to have a plan to keep what you have.

We do sort of. Only a handful of people know where this place is, and to give you an idea of the remoteness of it, everybody who has seen it asks me the same thing; "How did you ever find this place?".

My wife and I have discussed it, and we keep firearms in the car, and we have several thousands rounds of ammo and other firearms in the house in a safe. It would seem that in a SHTF situation, force would be all an agressor would be deterred with.

I am smart enough to know that a firearm is not an automatic "Save me" device, but it is all we have and as stated, in the SHTF thing, deadly force is all you have. If people are bent on taking your stuff, with no law around, that is your last best hope of staying alive and keeping your things. Human nature is a terrible thing sometimes.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxpayer View Post
I am smart enough to know that a firearm is not an automatic "Save me" device, but it is all we have and as stated, in the SHTF thing, deadly force is all you have. If people are bent on taking your stuff, with no law around, that is your last best hope of staying alive and keeping your things. Human nature is a terrible thing sometimes.
How far would you go to protect your family? It stands to reason that if we're willing to use deadly force to defend our stuff, there will be others willing to use deadly force to take it away from us to help their own loved ones.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
How far would you go to protect your family? It stands to reason that if we're willing to use deadly force to defend our stuff, there will be others willing to use deadly force to take it away from us to help their own loved ones.
Well, I don't know what I would actually do, but I think in that situation, I would go all the way. If we die, we die. But, (and it's a big but ) I'd bet that in the unlikely event that my little old lady and me were confronted on our own place, once the first few .308 rounds and 7.62x39 rounds find their mark, some of those looters will seek easier pickings. If not, then we'll die. It's that simple. We will have had the satisfactioin of taking some of them with us.