Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wow, I have never put any realy thought into this until today.

Sounds kind of alarmist, but then again, it could happen.

Maybe I should have a SHTF kit in my house.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's just like insurance. Bad things may not happen. But if they do, what could you have done to increase the odds in your favor?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Well, I have several respirators, including military protective masks- and Level A full body suits, chemical detectors, radiation meters- but teach HAZWOPER classes now and again, and use all of it.

My concern is not the half life of plutonium, but the half life of dirt that gets irradiated- better known as fallout. And yes, I know how to do dose and dose/rate calculations. 2 operating nuke power plants over thataway. One large primary nuke TARGET thataway, and 2 secondaries over there.

BTW, folks, there is NO filter that MAKES oxygen (wear a filtering mask into an oxygen depleted atmosphere and you WILL die) and there is NO one filter than gets everything. If you think the old man is funning you, put on a military protective mask, clear and seal it, and then crack an ammonia inhalant near the intake. Military protective masks are rated for radioactive dusts, infectous diseases at spore size level, and standard chemical munitions at differing filter life rates. Do some studying.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't expect a gas mask to even remotely protect me in a nuclear event. However, I do expect some protection from most plausible chemical or biological events and that's why I have them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, the gas mask is an interesting idea. Probably not bad to have around but like everything know how to use it and keep the filters in good condition. I personally don't think that most people would know that they need to put a mask on until it's too late. In WW1/2 people in Europe were trained to listen for sirens, detect chemicals, or just wear their gas masks during every air-raid as a precaution because by the time one realizes there is poison around - it's too late.

I personally don't live in an area with much chemical threat from industry or other, so I don't have any masks. As for radiation - well I know how to deal with fallout without specialized gear (SAS survival manual is a good start to find out fyi) but the mask is minor in that case.

I would say that if you're in an area with a real chemical threat go for it, but otherwise use the money on a more basic and more certainly useful gear. Remember the ol 80-20 rule. 80% of problems can be solved with 20% of basic gear - so get the basic 20% before getting the specialized stuff.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1771 Times on 1009 Posts
Likes Given: 3540

If you have the MCU-2/P version from what the Air Force uses. Need to check for:

Examples of defects included excessive dirt, stained eye lenses, separation of silicone rubber from metal parts (disbonding), and inoperable drinking tubes. Examples of unserviceable conditions included disbonding,
excessively stained eye lens, and leak test failures.

http://www.foia.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100528-102.pdf

Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #17

I have a US M40a1 for my personal use.
and the full suit, except I don't have a pair of pants yet.

And I bought a guy out who had a ton of gasmasks and filters. I just haven’t gotten around to selling them yet.
So I have about 200 pounds of NBC gear sitting around in boxes.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You know I never gave it much thought but in reality with my proximity to a chemical weapons depot here in Ky. (about 30 miles north of me) it might be something to look into. They are in the process of clearing out a lot of stuff there but no one knows what will stay behind.THe place has been there for many years and has all of the nifty stuff they have been using or had to be able to use since mustard gas was the big dog in the show. So really I have no reason to believe that they will empty it any time soon if at all.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson