Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default SHTF box

How many of you have a gas mask in the shtf box? I have two on order for me and my better half and have mentioned it to a few other people and got the yer f-ing crazy look. I think its a great thing to have in uncertain times, even if not an attack but just a disaster at a local plant or something where you need one..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I actually don't have them in there, and I too have thought about it, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

I have several the basic emergency personnel white foam mask with the plastic inserts, but I don't have a traditional gas mask.

Having Mount Rainier in the back drop of Casa De Dillinger it is something I should probably put a little more thought into though.

JD

Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have two masks with spare filters. I can't remember which ones, but they're good quality masks that take NATO filters.

FWIW, don't buy cheap ones. If you ever actually need them, you will want quality. What's your life worth?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got a Soviet one, but it was mostly for looks. I don't know how well it works.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

We are actually issued high quality gas masks, chem suits and epi-pens. Gotta spend the post 9-11 money on disaster related items. Most days I have the Crown Vic with all the accoutrements. While in POV, I am rarely more than 5 miles from home and the afformentioned fully outfitted Ford.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
Gas Mask are useless unless you got the correct filter....Think about it !
do tell ???

The ones I have checked into all state for bio, chemical or nuclear.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BoB........Bug out box

The box 3foot by 2.5 x 2.5 foot has a latched lid and water resistant, carry handles, Its a carpenters job box made of some sort of high speed plastic, its perfictly suitable for storing tent,MSR camp stove & gallon of fuel, few food goods,compact camp cooking utensils/pots,cord& rope,collapseable saw with different blades (wood/meat,steel,studite/carbide will gnaw thru padlocks) firstaid kit, .22mag revolver and 4 boxes ammo, baby plastic tool set with screw driver/bits,them hammer/hatchet/prybar thingies, 2 sizes vice grips,gimlet for augering holes in wood, couple rolls duct tape, 300ft paracute cord,propane pizeo torch & bottle of gas, couple different size blue tarps, two plastic sheet paiters drop cloths, fire makeing kit & tender,2K#hand winch/porta power, short d-handle spade. thats what I have so far the extra sleeping bags loosly rolled up in gunny sacks with sleeping pads hung from the rafters in the back shed ready to go when needed,2ea 5gal gas cans of gasoline (pretreated with fuel stabul) I can bug out by 16' lund Boat/15Hp evinrude or Snowmobile&sled or Honda ATV & trailer in 30 Minuets with kids dogs and bug out box

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-24-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #8

I have 2 m17 Israeli masks with updated 40M NBC NATO filters (about 6 each)both is a separate rucksack with the individual ALICE bags.Tested and up to date...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill-Zone View Post
Chemical's and Filter's need to be matched one breath and your body will rip itself apart , Radiation and the wrong suit / you just made your self a bodybag and in a few second's (full of mush ) A mopp-4 chem attack will wipe you out in a heart beat in the wrong suit/mask.....Take some HAZ/MAT training before you waste your time and money on what ya-hoo's at a ARMY/NAVY surplus are trying to sell ya.......and Train-Train-Train...how fast can ya put on a full chem-suit might just make a differance....and then try to get family member's all suited up before time run's out......
After a nuclear blast do you really think a mask or suit is going to protect you from radioactivity? Do you know what the half-life of weapons grade plutonium is?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-12-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
After a nuclear blast do you really think a mask or suit is going to protect you from radioactivity? Do you know what the half-life of weapons grade plutonium is?
So, is your stance that NO preparation is just as good as a LITTLE protection? If not killed by the blast, most of the death is from inhaled fallout, which the mask might prevent. A little protection is better than none, AND nuclear is not the ONLY reason to have a mask. There is still a far greater chance of chemical or biological attacks than nuclear, and in those cases, the mask could just save your life. I have 4, with spare filters, for my wife and me. Two in the home, and two in the car.