SHTF basics, questions and advice needed - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF basics, questions and advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
let me make it clear that I dont want to abandon my dogs...i like them more than my fiance sometimes

however, if things get really bad, when every pound you are lugging along and every ounce of food and calorie consumed is extremely important, its an important issue to determine.
Don't you under any circumstances voluntarily abandon or sacrifice those dogs. They are loyal companions and will not fail you.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #12

On another forum I frequent (non-firearm related) I found a link to a source of some SHTF advice based on the experiences of someone who has lived, and survived, through a SHTF situation. I recommend anyone interested in advice on SHTF preparation based on a real world scenario take a look at this link: Real Life SHTF Advice (excerpt below). It's the story of a guy who lived through some hard times in Argentina during a time when their society was in collapse. Very interesting reading.

Quote:
My brother visited Argentina a few weeks ago. Heís been living in Spain for a few years now. Within the first week, he got sick, some kind of strong flu, even though climate isnít that cold and he took care of himself. Without a doubt he got sick because there are lots of new viruses in my country that canít be found in 1st world countries. The misery and famine lead us to a situation where, even though you have food, shelter and health care, most of others donít, and therefore they get sick and spread the diseases all over the region.

What got me started on this post is the fact that I actually saw this coming, and posted on the subject here at Frugalís, months before the new viruses spread over the country and the news started talking about this new, health emergency, which proves that talking, thinking and sharing ideas with like minded people (you guys), does help to see things coming and prepare for them with enough time. So I started thinking about several issues, what I learned (either the hard way or thanks to this forum) after all these years of living in a collapsed country that is trying to get out an economical disaster and everything that comes along with it. Though my English is limited, I hope Iím able to transmit the main ideas and concepts, giving you a better image of what you may have to deal with some day, if the economy collapses in your country. Here is what I have so far:

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^^^
That was a great read! It reminded me of the Katrina stories & a panicy telephone call i got asking how much fuel i could get to my family in south MS (luckily we found a better way). My parents still keep a number of those 5 gallon jugs of water & have a 55 gallon drum for gas. IIRC, they dug out my old snubby .38 during that period. If that seems silly, a brother shot his sister over gasoline about 30 minutes away from the 'rents town.

All of the talk about dogs' value reminds me that though my cats won't help me a bit, they are very self sufficient little hunters.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing I suggest is that a new prepper take some classes from FEMA or the American Red Cross. Just about every government agency urges its own staff to prepare for disasters and emergencies in various ways. So, as a result of this knowledge, I started taking disaster survival classes from FEMA and the Red Cross.

Most groups urge you to have about a 30 day amount of food and medicines on hand and always ready. The idea is that most groups that urge preparation feel that eventually, within a couple of weeks, disaster response services will arrive with food and items for the area struck by the disaster. In other words, most agencies see disasters as a short-term issue rather than one that goes on for a really period of time like 6 months or more. To date, most of them have been correct BUT I always plan ahead for a longer disaster/problem just to be safe. It doesn't hurt to be ready, just in case.

FEMA: Plan Ahead

Preparing and Getting Trained

As for water, I keep a small amount of bottled water around the home but I also plan to boil water or filter it over a long term amount of time. I don't think that one can realistically store enough water for all their needs so I plan on tapping into local reservoirs, streams and/or ponds as I need for longer events involving survival. So bleach, fire and purification tablets are all in my inventory for cleaning water.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most people know about canned goods and water... that all seems pretty obvious to everyone - I hope. Then if S#!T really hits the fan and you're left clinging to your guns, I'd suggest stock up on some cleaning supplies for your better half (AKA your gun) so that if there is some major shtuff going down you can always keep your baby clean and running smoothly.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to be traveling through a dangerous area with faulty prone equipment. Yes of course you want to have reliable equipment at your disposal in the first place but I'm talking long term. Given a long enough span of time reliability of equipment decreases exponentially if unkept.

For me I'd rather have the most reliable equipment possible when having to huff it on my own without electricity, running water, supermarkets, etc. But what keeps something reliable? Upkeep! Think about this aspect of SHTF scenarios as well.