Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > SHTF basics, questions and advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default SHTF basics, questions and advice needed

When I first joined this site and blundered my way onto this particular part of the forum, to be quite candid, i thought ya'll were a little crazy. However, upon further review you do have a point.

I think in a disaster situation (hurricane Katrina for example), where the normal keepers of society cant or wont do their jobs, utilities are non existant, resources are scarce, and the crack runs out and people get irritable, you have to be prepared. So i just wanted to say, I am on board. So now its time to get prepared.

I am pretty well prepared defense-wise. I have a lot of shotguns, and a lot of bullets for the shotguns, although mostly hunting ammunition. I have a great hunting dog, so i think if i can get out of town, I can live off pheasants . I also have a few pistols and plenty of ammo. I also have an AR-15 and about 500 rounds for it. I have a red dot sight on there, but i have iron sights too. I also have a german shepherd for home defense.

My questions come up with non-defense needs. and when I cant get out of town. here's what Ive thought of already.

Water- (how many gallons is a good number?)
Water purification-(what are some good companies to look at?)
Food-MRE, canned goods (any other ideas?)
Sleeping bags, blankets, clothes, socks
tent
small propane stove-(how many bottles, any brands?)
an axe or hatchet
an assortment of other tools-(reccomendations for must haves)

what else should I have?

what about keeping the dogs alive? or does the cost of the dogs outweigh the benefit of the dogs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #2

I'm no expert on survival and the such. But I just had to touch on the dog thing.

A dog devotes their life to be with you. I wouldn't go anywhere without my dog in a SHTF situation. Hes been with me since I was 4. I am now 18. So, I personally would sacrifice a few things in order to get dog food.

How big of water drums can you get ahold of?
If you're not limited to space, you can use those hawaiian punch 1 gallon bottles. I've got 3 in my room and each of them cost 1.97.

S.S.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can run a small DC electric pump through a charcoal house filtration system off of either solar, wind, vehicle or human power into five gallon poly containers. Treatment for micro-bugs can come later. Dry clothing (food savers work great for this), shelter, sleep sacks for your bags, good knives and axes, a couple of solar panels or an automotive alternator that can be used to build a water or wind electrical system and a couple of batteries are a must. Have MRE's on hand in the event you have to bug out on foot, canned food if you can get out by vehicle. Weapons that you have plentiful ammunition for or your favorite .22 if you're on foot. By all means take the dog, if worse comes to worse; well have you ever seen the movie 'Little Big Man'?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Solar Powered Battery Charger VW/Audi & Other Makes - eBay (item 220371966526 end time Mar-08-09 12:53:34 PDT)

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a couple of these for alternative electricity, but they don't put out much juice. They are darn cheap though designed to keep a 12v charged; when the fuel runs out, there should be plenty of car batteries around to run radios, lights, or water pumps. I have wondered, for peeps in really rural areas, if the plastic barrels from car washes could be cleaned for water storage.

Having heard the Katrina stories from all of my relatives in MS, it seems worth a bit of preparedness. They all have generators now.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
When I first joined this site and blundered my way onto this particular part of the forum, to be quite candid, i thought ya'll were a little crazy. However, upon further review you do have a point.

I think in a disaster situation (hurricane Katrina for example), where the normal keepers of society cant or wont do their jobs, utilities are non existant, resources are scarce, and the crack runs out and people get irritable, you have to be prepared. So i just wanted to say, I am on board. So now its time to get prepared.

I am pretty well prepared defense-wise. I have a lot of shotguns, and a lot of bullets for the shotguns, although mostly hunting ammunition. I have a great hunting dog, so i think if i can get out of town, I can live off pheasants . I also have a few pistols and plenty of ammo. I also have an AR-15 and about 500 rounds for it. I have a red dot sight on there, but i have iron sights too. I also have a german shepherd for home defense.

My questions come up with non-defense needs. and when I cant get out of town. here's what Ive thought of already.

tent
an axe or hatchet

what else should I have?

what about keeping the dogs alive? or does the cost of the dogs outweigh the benefit of the dogs?
well to start, water how much is enough- depends how many people
purification- dont know about that
you got the food thing figured but i would say go with mre's therefore you wont need a can opener
sleeping bags- depends on your climate if it gets cold then a nice -30 bag is wise to keep on hand, clothes arent that important to bring cuz you can wash your clothes when you bath in a creek or pond. but socks are a must, you need to keep your feet clean and dry to avoid "jungle rot" which could kill you in one form or another
dont know about propane cookers, my thought is keep matches and a magnesium striker. fires will keep your moral up higher than a mini stove will and provide heat.
i would go with a hatchet, maybe one with a saw in the handle. i think gerber make one. and always always bring a pocket knife and a fixed blade atleast 6 inches long.
as for the dog dont bring alot of food for him, just enough to feed him for a day, what ever you kill he can have as well. also a few high calorie bars wouldnt hurt either

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:

Between 1 and 3 gallons per day per person, depending on where you live and what level of activity.

Quote:
Berkey is good. Water purification tablets are a must. Boiling water will do in a pinch.

Quote:
Split peas, lentils, beans and rice store easily and keep for a very long time. Flour, sugar, oil/lard.

Quote:
tent
If you want ideas on surviving outside the home, do a search for "survival kit" on this forum.

Quote:
As many as you like/can carry.

Quote:
an axe or hatchet
An axe AND a hatchet AND a folding camp saw. Firewood comes in handy when your propane bottles run out.

Quote:
Rope, knives, compass, maps...the list goes on. Do that search for "survival kit" and you'll see plenty of ideas contributed by many folks here.

Quote:
Dogs are outstanding alarm systems and deterrents. Keep your dog around. They can eat all sorts of things, including those parts of animals you hunt that you'd maybe rather not eat.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

great post bkt very helpful, thanks a lot

Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Don't forget a basic First Aid kit. Keep regular plain ol' bleach on hand for water purification as well. Rotate it out though, because it has a finite shelf life. Make sure you have any meds that you may need for you & yours and your dog too.

Make sure you have personal hygiene items as well. Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and razors at minimum. You'll feel better if you keep up your hygiene.

I'd suggest you do some internet surfing. You'll find more lists and information than you'll be able to stand. Once you have the information you can better decide what you need and what is important to you.

I will withhold comment about abandoning your dog.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

let me make it clear that I dont want to abandon my dogs...i like them more than my fiance sometimes

however, if things get really bad, when every pound you are lugging along and every ounce of food and calorie consumed is extremely important, its an important issue to determine.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a horse of a different color.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams