Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   shtf (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/shtf-8605/)

sgtdeath66 11-21-2008 04:01 AM

shtf

whats the 5 top items you would bring incase shtf

matt g 11-21-2008 05:56 AM

Weapons
ammo
1st aid kit
water pump
wife and kids

sgtdeath66 11-21-2008 06:35 AM

well the wife and kide are a given, i was mainly curious about what kind of supplies example 1 firearm of choice 2 knife of choice ect.

bushtucker 11-21-2008 08:47 AM

What does SHTF stand for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 (Post 51729)
whats the 5 top items you would bring incase shtf

Hey, I'm from aus and ignorant as to what the term SHTF means. Could someone enlighten me please?

bkt 11-21-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushtucker (Post 51749)
Hey, I'm from aus and ignorant as to what the term SHTF means. Could someone enlighten me please?

SHTF is an acronym for "sh*t hit the fan", meaning everything goes to hell quickly.

As for the OP's question, it's prudent to have a bug-out bag ready so you don't have to choose a mere five items to bring with you. Clothing, rope, knives, fire-making tools, food, water, water purification tools, firearms and ammunition, medical supplies, lights, communication devices, radios and a whole lot more can fit in one backpack.

Your home will hold far more resources than a bug-out bag or a vehicle. And there should be no plans to abandon your home unless things get very, very bad. Plan to stay put at home, but be prepared.

user4 11-21-2008 11:10 AM

Agreed with BKT. My Armageddon bag has a hell of a lot more than five items. Only thing I don't have is communication devices, but I can always pick those off the half eaten corpses the zombies leave behind.

hillbilly68 11-21-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 51759)
Your home will hold far more resources than a bug-out bag or a vehicle. And there should be no plans to abandon your home unless things get very, very bad. Plan to stay put at home, but be prepared.

Best advice ever. Sure, we all want to go to the woods and eat bark, but the more likely scenario is we will be home. Think power outage, snow storm, etc and be prepared. Just carry enough stuff in your truck (always!) to get back home.

Not dodging the legit question you asked though, although a BOB has a lot more than 5 items. If I could have only 5? Lets see...

Long gun with ammo (ok, cheated and counted as one:D)
5" fixed blade
Fire starter
Old steel canteen cup
First aid kit

good question, makes you think what one would really choose if you had to

leappy 12-04-2008 06:25 AM

A good gun, radio device, lights, food, and knife.

Recon 173 01-01-2009 05:25 AM

1. Scoped rifle with good ammo.
2. A good handgun. Probably a Glock 17 with ammo.
3. Supplies in the form of food and water.
4. A good sheath knife.
5. Fire starting gear like matches, lighters and/or firesteel.

sgtdeath66 01-02-2009 03:54 AM

i would bring
1. my 12 gauge mossy 500
2. my remmy 597 .22lr
3. my sog seal pup
4. fire starter
5. mre's

and i would find some place in the woods and bunker down for a few weeks-months and teach my daughter survival skills like how to prepare water, kill and skin game and how to make shelter