Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Should we trade our gold for silver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 49 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Precious Metals will be worthless when you'll want to sell them.
I don't think I agree with this. If you think more (and I HATE to use this term!) globally, precious metals will always be worth something. Just because our currency falls flat doesn't mean that precious metals aren't worth something to other currencies. Moreover, if the world fell flat, precious metals would be THE King of currency. Since we are seeing a cascading effect in revolutions, we may also see that same effect in economic crashes, leaving precious metals king.

I'm not stocking up big quantities, but I do have some junk silver. I think it's foolish to go into collapse without some form of proven currency dating back thousands of years.

12FRETTER

Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a little bit of each and wish I had a lot more. After studying it for a while, certain things stand out. Silver is perfect for small transactions, and is really starting to return to its true value. Everyone should have some silver in 1-oz or smaller pieces. Old 90% silver dimes might be ideal. Other things may be used for barter - coffee, ammo, eggs, batteries, etc. But I believe gold and silver in the hand will rule supreme if things break down. They are the surest store of value through hard times.

Gold is a little different in that it would generally not be used very often for commerce if TSHTF. Maybe to buy a farm or a houseboat or a missile silo, but other than that it's usually better to hide any gold until the crisis is well over. It helps you carry your wealth or savings THROUGH the crisis. One other important role for gold in a breakdown is this - if things get really bad, 1-oz of gold (per person) will get you across any border in the world. That might be something to consider in your planning. But for most of us, silver is the better value and much more accessible.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #13

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
One other important role for gold in a breakdown is this - if things get really bad, 1-oz of gold (per person) will get you across any border in the world. That might be something to consider in your planning. But for most of us, silver is the better value and much more accessible.
If it's serious enough to border hop, borders will either be Kill on sight or completely unguarded.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If you have little or no silver and some gold, trading in an ounce or two of gold for silver bullion or junk coins is a good idea.

The purpose of holding precious metals isn't to use them for barter if the SHTF (though silver will be easier to work with than gold in such a situation), but to have a store of wealth after the dust settles.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
If you have little or no silver and some gold, trading in an ounce or two of gold for silver bullion or junk coins is a good idea.

The purpose of holding precious metals isn't to use them for barter if the SHTF (though silver will be easier to work with than gold in such a situation), but to have a store of wealth after the dust settles.
Quoted for truth

Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #16

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Well I've been watching the market recently & it's hard to say where silver is going but even if I don't trade my gold I still want to get more silver.

Gold/silver ounce ratio:
April 5, 37.06257982120051
April 6, 36.95431472081218
April 7, 36.90176322418136
April 8, 36.25061546036435
April 9, 36.06356968215159
April 11, 36.39303482587065
April 12, 36.21890547263682
April 13, 35.84255842558426
April 14, 36.69154228855721

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

So go buy more silver. Both metals are holding rock steady. It's the dollar that is reliably falling in value. The sooner you part with Federal Reserve Notes in exchange for money (metal), the better.

People have done gold/silver swaps depending on varying price ratios in order to increase their metal supply over the years. But with the recent GATA metals-price-manipulation revelation and the general mayhem in paper currencies, I wouldn't recommend trying to do that.

And if you're going to look at ratios, you'd best go back significantly farther than a couple weeks. Look at it from 1850 through today and you'll see the clear divergence. Take a closer look over the last decade, and you'll be able to see how silver has irrationally and inexplicably followed gold no matter what (that's the price manipulation GATA exposed). Now that that manipulation has more-or-less stopped, you can see how silver prices move much more freely relative to gold.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #18

I've always thought that seeing paper, gold, or silver as money just doesn't make since. Often wonder how it got established and plan to do some researching on it.

In an industrial world I can see its resource need for electronics. But as for the first guy to trade his food for something shiny.....don't get that. Don't get me wrong I applaud it at times because of what we're able to obtain because of it. But there's a reason they say you can't take it with you.

For all intent purposes I will probably never see the value in something you can't use for your needs. If I had something to trade in a post apocalyptic world you'd never be able to buy it from me with money. Besides If money and time was well spent on needed resources, you would probably be able to just come across it all later on.

I recommend watching Water World.

Also don't forget the golden rule.

"You know the golden rule: **** the gold. He who has the nickel-plated makes the rules."

3,000 Miles To Graceland.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #19

Liked 49 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Post apocalyptic is not the only scenario though. While it is true enough that precious metals will do very little in that post apocalyptic world (Mad Max), there is another scenario where the dollar falls. Sometime in the future, another form of currency will take its place. During that interim, precious metals are your wealth that can carry you through. Once the new form of currency takes hold, you can bet, based on history, that it will be tied to precious metals all over again. If I had more money to put into my retirement (chuckle chuckle), it would be in precious metals, probably junk silver. If I could convert my current, albeit small, 401K to precious metals, I would.

12FRETTER

Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1633 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

I think trading silver for gold would be a better bet. although most of the time I'm wrong...hehehe