Should we trade our gold for silver?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Should we trade our gold for silver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Should we trade our gold for silver?

Exactly one year ago the silver to gold ratio was 63:1, today it's 36:1. Wouldn't it be wise to consider exchanging? We also have to take a possible gold seizure into consideration. I'm thinking of exchanging my APMEX ounce for a kilo of silver & the remainder for Silver Eagles.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A bit late but I would personally do it.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well, if you have any muzzle-loading firearms, you could also benefit from having some anti-werewolf ammo available to you.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Well, if you have any muzzle-loading firearms, you could also benefit from having some anti-werewolf ammo available to you.
Nah, I got silver plated buckshot

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gold has better weight characteristics for making bullets, but silver can be used. Is that what you meant? Cause SHTF, Gold and Silver will initially be worthless as paper or coinage. After the SHTF crisis, it will again regain its value. Depends on what you want to guard, carry, etc.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8688 Times on 3761 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

Seriously- the dang crystal ball is in the shop for calibration and an oil change- so I don't have a CLUE- and if I did, I would be too feelthy stinkin' RICH to be fooling around on some internet forum!!!

Remember- Bears make money, and Bulls make money. Piggies get slaughtered. IF you had made the switch a year ago, I would be cashing in, taking the money and running like squirrel that had sucked down two Red Bulls and a Jolt cola. Will silver continue to climb? Will the gold silver ratio continue to flatten? Will Little Orphan Annie find her dog?

Unless you got a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor, you're gonna have to wait and see.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #7

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would say sell both and invest in non currency methods of payment. Get proficient with a welder. Get a decent water purifier with a couple filters. Precious Metals will be worthless when you'll want to sell them. Sell now, and sell to someplace like Switzerland. But thats just what I would do.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #8

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Historically the ratio has always reverted itself back to 16:1 without exception. If I had gold, I'd do a lot of it especially in junk silver where bartering will be easier, when the dollar falls. No one will have change for an ounce of gold, but you can hand them a 90% silver dime. Just my two cents, of course, I have very little in precious metals because I've been running a struggling business since being laid off two years ago, but that's another thread.

12FRETTER

Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Or, you can hand them 10 .22LR rounds!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Precious Metals will be worthless when you'll want to sell them.
That's what I've always thought. By the time the situation gets desparate enough for you to try to dump off all your stocked precious metals, people will have way bigger concerns than jewelry.

On the other hand, early on, you might be able to buy a few things you need as things continue to fall flat. For example, a month after the dollar collapses, when paper money might be worthless, you might still be able to trade someone a 4-wheeler for a handful of gold coins, when otherwise cash wouldn't be acceptable.

The things that will keep you alive will be most valuable if TSHTF but some sort of social order is restored: weapons, ammo, food, water purification.

Other less important things might be toilet paper, deodorant, razors, batteries, etc.

But, I'd say keep a small amount of gold (or, I suppose in this case, silver) around, but don't put too much stock in it. I do see the logic in keeping silver, because it will indeed be difficult to "break" an ounce of gold, heh. On that same note, you probably wouldn't bust out the precious metals every time you needed a candybar, so in these cases you might very well say I'll give you five gold coins and a box of 9mm for [insert important item(s) that you really need].

And I guess to answer your question, if it is still worth a relatively large amount, then you might as well trade it out. But be ready to sell quick (if you can) because it is going to flip the other direction quickly and then nobody will want to buy it from you.