Short term bug out items.. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Short term bug out items..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

RON L SERE SURPLUS: I also have a Coleman singe burner stove, but have found it's wieght and carry the fuel do not justify it's use in my case. The hatchet I use has a hammer at the end oppossing the blade as well as a pry bar. It's a cheapy, but I have painted it camo and keep a good edge on the blade. I found these plastic bowls at Wally World in assorted sizes that have snap on lids with an O ring type seal making them waterproof,air tight. I use a few smaller ones, have painted them OD except for the lid with Krylon Plastic Fusion paint to store my goodies that can not be jeapordized by water or condensation. I also have a bottle of water purification tabs in each of the pockets of the canteen covers. That river and alot of the creeks around here are spring fed, so the tabs work just fine.
I have found a new knife that I want to try from Harbor Freight. It has a stainless blade, aluminum blade guard, and aluminum handle. It comes with generic survival junk in it, but I would toss that and put quality items in it. They cost only $10.00, but the reviews are all real positive, and I can spend ten to see if it's worth carrying. Harbor Freight also sells a wide assortment of micro lights, some that clip over your ear, some that are camo, and all priced right.
Have you thought about getting a few gamma seals for 3 or 5 gallon buckets, filling them with items to replenish your BOB supplies, and burrying them along a trail and making not of the lat./long. of the exact location you burried them? These gamma seals make the bucket water/air tight, and I have thought they would make a good ammo, food, general supply cache. I also have a set of insoles in my boots that have pockets for heat packs, and a par of heated socks that run on D batteries, but I dont use those very often due to having carry extra batteries. I take my cell and a AA charger for use before any tower and power grids go down.
And I love shopping at my local mil-surplus store, the next addition to my BOB gear will be light sticks and a carrier, and a set of MARPAT BDUS. The digitals are only good if you are hiding in a gravel road, or grandmas couch, thats why I own one pair. All my other camo is MO Break UP or Woodland BDUS. And I found neoprene face/head covers at a local convenience store in several patterns that sell for around $6 to $9, but nothing beats my mil-surplus woodland head cover that pulls over the entire head and velcros under the chin. The only facial area exposed is around the eyes, and camo sunglasses or goggles take care of that. Thanks for sharing ideas with me, appreciate it.

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #22

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You forgot the toilet paper!!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #23

Isnt TP or any other butt wiping material a "given" in a Bug Out Bag? TP is a joke for a BOB anyway. I carry a supply of unscented baby wipes in a ziplock bag. The wipes are moisturized and good for a quick field bath, washing cooking devices, as well as a good clean-up after natures call, and they do burn over a hot fire with a good bed of coals. Leave your single use TP at the house and take the wipes. Soldiers use military grade wipes.

"Designated Marksman"-The guy that hunts down the enemy and shoots him in the head.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Great additions Gunfan Artic

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Great additions gunFan Artic, yup, I do agree that the Stove is a Bit of weight and many times I just use the Brit Larger copy of the Esbit with heximine Fuel bars! That one Only goes with me, if the ravel will be Mounted, on Bike or the $ wheeler! A few items are like that, that accounts for why My kits in layers and be added or subtracted easliy from!

I don't agree with your Statement on TP! I have carried a few different wipes, but it's best to try out what ya plan to use, as I tried a few different ones and don't think the bad Rash I got was some joking matter, I did find a ferw that did work, so I remove the roll of whipes from the Plastic Container and add to a zip lock bag and works fine, I do have times when I like TP, so a 1/2 Roll compressed is a fav as well! If your not carefull what wipes ya use, ti could be a misearable outing??? LOL

Both my hatchet (1 in the car) other on my CFP-90 pack, as I have gotten them as used ones 1 Hudson Bay hatchet, the other a Carpentry type Plummer Brand great steel in both and have a great edge on them and didn't pay more than 10.00 both total! I did add a 2$ sheath I got to the Hudson bay the one inthe car just has a cardboard slieve cover all are sprayer Kraylon O.D. Green and for my use fine!

I have used gama seal lids and 5 Gal pails fort my cache's but i don't includde that in my bug out descriptions but god call! They are Just handy, seal well and can hold a crap load of stuff, food, amo, parts or what ever and stay in the ground a good while!

I have a Bottle of Aqua Pure Tablets in all my Canteen covers but I like the water straw and the Kydin for extreme crappy looking water wotht the weight and as in the Coleman, that only goes if I'm mounted!

I think I know of the harbor Freight Knife your referring to, and yea, for 10.00 not bad, the seath is crap ditto the stuff in the handle! I plan to add a schrade one thats patterend after the Better Hollow Handle designs by Chris Reeve but only cost 65$ instead of 4250 and up?? LOL The 10.00 price tag is a little easier buy the schrade is better made and will stand up to the test of time? I mean, cost is one issue but if the knife last a lifetime was worth the $, right? Not sure the Harbor freight Model will?

I do like your plastic Bowl idea, I have a few Used Tuper ware Bowls and containers I use camping and yea, would be a good idea to use for some BOB stuff, good call again! Tupper ware is cheap used and you can find any size and style and well worth the lok at garage sales and some Thrift stores!

I have a few Older sets of Woodland BDU's I was Issued and later I will replace with something but yea, i'm not a big fan of any Digital patterns, they just don't work where I hunt and camp! I'm sure they work some places but not here! LOL

You made some great comments and additions and unlike so many, it's clear that you, as I have tried the gear ya count on and use and will serve the day! I see it as Crazy to collect the stuff never try it and when and if ya need it, then what? I'd had a few 'AH Ha" moments and all, but mosly I have learned a lot more by my mistakes than my sucesses? LOL Plus I'm not perfect and don't expect my gear to be? I expect it to be available, affordable and tested, if not, thats my fault, Right? Pays to Test what your counting on and thats a fun, pratical part of the gear anyhow? So many just don't do it and come some emergency or what ever they will learn the hard way?

Thanks for the Wonderfull comments and showing me gear that I have and use but did not mention!

RON

Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #25

Looks good. It is a start and you are thinking. That is the key.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #26

I use a COLD STEEL tomahawk, it has a hawk blade on one side, and a pointed blade on the other, good for splitting things(ei.zombie heads). The head, shank, and handle are all one piece of steel, with synthetic handles screwed on. It comes with a folding cover for the blades that is secured with one snap. I have used mine for some time, and have nothing bad to say about it, oh except that the pointed blade didnt come sharpened. But after a bit of filing, then the use of my carbide/ceramic sharpener it now has and holds a razor sharp edge. Good product, check it out.