Short term bug out items.. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Short term bug out items..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post

I saw this post and while I know it's 'Short term" I think it's way too heavy on weapons?/ Those of you that know me are sitting back saying what??????? No, I rteally feel that even a short term Kit should address the Big 3? Food, Water and Shelter!
I agree.

Here's what I've put together as a BOB after close to a year "studying" preps. I planned it to last me up to 5 or days without anything else.

Here's a smaller GHB (get home bag) I keep in my truck at all times. Just items to get me home if the SHTF while I was at work and had to hoof it to the house.

Last edited by Seven; 09-29-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
I rteally feel that even a short term Kit should address the Big 3? Food, Water and Shelter!
Yep. A little light weight 2 man tent would be right nice to have along to get out of the snow and rain if that were the case.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #13

I like your selection. Each man needs to decide for himself what wll work for him. Of course advice from like minded people is not a bad thing. Its free. If it was my stuff I might add a hatchet or a machete. Otherwise I like it.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #14

I just got a Cold Steel tomahawk, the blade cover says "Secure Ex", it has a chopping blade and a pointed blade. MidwayUSA has them on sale for $31.95. It has a synthetic handle about 22" long, the blade is attached with 2 screws, and the blade cover has lots of rivet holes that will make good attachment points. I highly reccomend this item.
002.jpg  

Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #15

And I must have a knife/cutting tool obsession or something, here is my arsenal, except for the 2 hatchets and an axe that are out in the shop. I have 42 or 43 knives, axes, hatchets, and other cutting tools. I also make a few of my own, and my "in works" blades are included in the pics.
042.jpg   043.jpg   044.jpg  

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Weapons are fine, but More Real world use items would be a smart addition

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

You all are Missing the point! While I do love and enjoy my weapons and cutlery, I see the addition of basic Food, water and shelter would be the smart addition! Simple items like a Tarp, a small dome tent, some canteens, Water Pur goods and Food, would be better additions than 12 more knives?

The Purpose of a BOB is to make it from point A to B, and sooner or later ya have to eat, Drink and maybe even sleep? The Simple comfort items do make the trip a lot more real and easier?

As I said, I love my Firearms and even more my edged weapons, I do see a reality check needed in many folks BOB? AS in all things in life, your free to use what ya like? I just thing a little more diversity is needed in some folks Bobs?

RON

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #17

I only take a hatchet or machete, and up to 3 knives. My BOB is old school, I use an older Kelty back pack, olive drab in color, that I've camo'ed the frame. My smaller bag is a camo ALICE pack/frame. For water I use 4 mil canteens, two 1qt, two 2qt, with covers and a canteen cup. I also have a pouch made up in each bag to hold a 1.5qt resevoir and drinking tube, and I have a drinking tube/cap that I can transfer from canteens. I carry a 5x7 camo tarp to use as a ground cover or to cover my one man camo bivvy shelter. I bought 2 5x10 pieces of camo burlap and have sewn them into a 10x20 piece, folded the edges over and put grommets around the perimeter. I use this to further camo my hide, or as a sleep mat for my extreme weather military mummy bag. I make fire starter by mixing saw dust and petroleum jelly, and carry zip-lock bags of dryer lint, a carbide fire striker, waterproof matches, and a couple bic lighters. I carry mil-surplus fuel bars and a mini folding stove for cooking and boiling water in the canteen cup. I carry 2 quality compasses, a map grid, note pad/pencil, and 5 or 6 topo maps of my surrounding area in a pvc tube I glued an end and threaded cap on. I live in the country of the backwoods of a very rural area, with state forest and national park land surrounding me. I carry my Marlin Papoose break-down .22lr, a S&W semi-auto 22 pistol, and my AK-47 with 6 30rd mags and a supply of ammo. I carry a spool of para-cord, a small flashlight, and several micro-lights that all use the same size battery, and a supply of batteries. I carry a few MRE's, a few canned meats, multi-grain bars, mandarin oranges in those little friut cups, they have more vitamin content than the mixed fruit. And I use the .22s to shoot squirrel, rabbit,the nieghboring farmers turkeys and chickens, along with any fresh veggies I can "snipe" from the garden. I carry fishing line and supplies, as there is a decent sized river nearby full of smallmouth, goggle eye, and buegill or sunfish. Float trips for tourists is a main source of income on this river, and taking a canoe would be quite easy for transportation further into the woods, or on downstream to a larger town and resources. Maybe I need to add one of my 4' 6'' ultralight spinning rods/reels and more tackle to my bag. This is my basic BOB contents and my survival plan. It probably lacks something here or there, or is overloaded elsewhere. But I try to make at least two 5 day drills a year, one in summer, one in winter, and I seem to do okay.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Gunfan I like the way you roll!

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS, R4esponce to gunfan, I like the way you roll!

I see a lot more of value in your BOB set, I see it as a Layered kit, not all is with me 24/7, but a core of that Kit is! I don't have the Marlin Papoose like you do, but I had a AR-7, I'd like to add a Stainless steel Papoose back to the kit, as someone broke int my Van and stole the AR-7, he's welcome to it, as it was not very reliable anyhow! LOL

I use a CFP-90, as a Main Pack, as well as a CFP-90 compbat pack off of it for my Vehicle part of the kit! My Kit Mirrors yours in many ways but a few! I carry a Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove, as well as a Brit Larger copy of the Esbit stove with Heximine bars as they burn hotter and warmer than the GI Triox Bars your using! I have a small Hudson Bay Hatchet I like and it's accross the front of the CFP-90 in the loops! I use a Ka-Bar next Gen in the Rig or on the combat pack, a Gerber Multti tool, as well as a Spyderco Police model so Yea, I guess I carry close to the same cutlery?

I like a 2 QT as well as a1 1 qt, with a 5 QT Bladder extra in the Main Pack if I need it, that one is left deflated and rolled up! Bottom of the CFP90 has the 4 Pieve Molle sleeping system I use as well as a few Camo Tarps I use to Rig a lean to if I want and need to, as well as a roll of was like 45 ft Para cord! AM/FM/SW Pocket radio with a AA battery solar charger to power it if needed! I have a quality silva Compass I used inthe Military and a topo of my AO! I carry some dried fruit, as well as dehrdrated soup and stew mixes! I use a Maddi AKM clone along with a M-95 Classic 9MM BHP clone, but those items I don't count as limited members of my BOB! I have a few different containes for Strike anywhere matches as well as a Swedish Fire steel and a few different Lighters! a Drop line and small box of Fishing gear as well! I feel the Pole takes up too much room and I hate them anyhow! I have a water Purification straw as well as a Kayadin Water filter and some coffie filters to keep out the crud into my filter! Your BOB is a lot like mine, with some minor differences, like yourself, I have tried mine for weeks at a time just adding more food as I needed! Good Post and thanks for yur contribution to the reality of a BOB!

RON

Old 10-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Gunfan -- what's the knife in the bottom pic fifth in from the right? It's woodland camo on the handle and blade and looks like it might be an auto.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #20

I think its a MAXAM, but not an auto, a flipper. I loosen all the blades on my flippers just enough that I can flip them open about as fast as an auto.