Short term bug out items..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Short term bug out items..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Short term bug out items..

This is my short term bug out items. The shotgun takes apart and fits inside a pack or another member of the family can carry it. (I have two of them) I normally would choose the smaller set of optics unless there were someone else to carry it. The rifle and revolver are both .357 magnum and the rifle is topped off with a Burris 4x20mm Timberline scope. With the rifle filled with 9 rounds and the revolver holding six I would put one 50 round box of .357 and a box of 20 gauge #6 shot into the pack. Perhaps not enough to fight off hundreds of zombies but I also have to carry an ultralight tent, fishing line and hooks, thin rope, fire starter, small medical kit, small tarp and water/food and a change of clothes. Enough for a week one should plan on. It adds up quick. If it were winter one would need even more equipment. Of course with other family members these things can be distributed equally. Water and water purification is critical. You have to know where water can be found as you will never be able to carry enough to last you.
There is a leatherman, sharpfinger, a folding Buck, a Mora stainless Swedish Military knife and a fillet knife (which probably wouldn't be taken normally.) It all looks like a lot but the shotgun is a better choice for smaller game than a .22 in my humble opinion. Depends on where one lives I suppose. All of the knives are not real expensive. The folding Buck was used to process an entire elk one time from start to finish. The Mora is about $20.00 and I used them a lot when I was a commercial fisherman in Alaska many years ago.
So there it is.. Something to ponder and critic. I have .270 caliber rifles that I am very fond of but for a short term bug out these would be taken the the rest hidden for future uses..

The world be strange except for me and thee, and sometimes I think thou art a bit odd....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Looks good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you considered upgrading/replacing one of the knives with a machete or hatchet? I would.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes I have. I have been wanting one I have seen at Cold Steel for some time. Just have not gotten around to it yet. They make good stuff and carry many different models. I had a Walmart cheap piece of junk that I used to cut the heads off snakes and someone stole it. Probably did me a favor. A machete is on the top of my list. Would work better here than a hatchet.

The world be strange except for me and thee, and sometimes I think thou art a bit odd....

Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check these SOG SOGfari machete...I read a lot of good things about them.

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives and Tools MC-01 13-Inch SOGfari Machete: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives and Tools MC-02 18-Inch SOGfari Machete: Home Improvement

These are what I am looking to purchase later though...

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-RTAK-II-Plain/dp/B001DZV3BG/ref=pd_sbs_sg_5

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1079-Outcast-Bush-Knife/dp/B001TKLF2W/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I29RFM0JNQD74A&colid =2WH8THK6RB5OK

Last edited by Poink88; 09-26-2010 at 03:37 AM.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 517

nice setup.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 09-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #7

Good looking setup.
Like poink88 said I’d consider replacing a couple of knives with a machete, kukri, or hatchet.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I really like Vaughan. the hatchet is for camping and lives in my pack. The Rigging Axe is in the long term Bug Out Kit.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Short term???

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I saw this post and while I know it's 'Short term" I think it's way too heavy on weapons?/ Those of you that know me are sitting back saying what??????? No, I rteally feel that even a short term Kit should address the Big 3? Food, Water and Shelter! If your gear will address all those needs it's good, this one will Provide ya Shelter, and maybe food, but sure not all 3? I'd add some Food Items, add some Sheet Plastic, if even wrapped over the weapons and some simple water carry needs and I'd see it as a lot better set up! Judt my .02 and your milage may varry?

RON

Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”