Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Share or Horde? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/share-horde-5011/)

Jables 06-18-2008 04:54 AM

Share or Horde?

I went on vacation to a lake near here and we spent the week in a cabin and I thought about survival after the big one. Also spent time at the Walmart over there drooling over a Mossberg .30-06 (I'm not a rich guy, so I drool over what I can afford). I did a lot of fishing. My two favorite hobbies are fishing and hunting. My third would have to be raising a garden. There is just something about growing and killing my own food that is satisfying. Every time I kill something I want to mount the wife. :D

Anyways, here's my question. When this country finally craps out, (I don't think we'll be attacked from the outside, I think the economy will be the death of the USA). If you have enough to feed yourself and your family and some left over, will you be Christian enough to reach out or will you horde? I'm only talking about if you have abundance and I'm not talking about a hand out either.

I'll answer first to hopefully explain what I mean. If I was bless with good crops on the family farm and a family in need came up and ask if we could use help on the farm if we could take them in and feed them, I would put them to work and teach them the love of Christ just because I think that's what God would want me to do, but if some wonderer, especially someone who sponged off the welfare system when the country was still around came up and asked for food, begging, saying please mister. I'd ask them to work or no food, and probably stick a .30-06 in their nose and say git.

So would you share or Horde?

mpoirier22114 06-18-2008 12:27 PM

i'd have to say horde, even if i had abundance in crops. game, fish etc, unless you have a specific skill that would be useful to the communtiy in general, (when the shtf me and my family with a small group of friends will be living on the familys 20 acres in a community type setting) if not you will end up being moved along with the barrel of a shotty, may sound mean but my family and friends health and safety comes first

bkt 06-18-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jables (Post 28305)
Every time I kill something I want to mount the wife. :D

God help her if you're caught in a swarm of mosquitos....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jables (Post 28305)
Anyways, here's my question. When this country finally craps out, (I don't think we'll be attacked from the outside, I think the economy will be the death of the USA). If you have enough to feed yourself and your family and some left over, will you be Christian enough to reach out or will you horde? I'm only talking about if you have abundance and I'm not talking about a hand out either.

I'd be far more inclined to divvy up stuff with like-minded friends and use whatever surplus we had to trade with folks outside my group for things we might need or be low on. There's a group of maybe a dozen or so families we're close with who are taking steps to prepare in the event of some temporary or longer-term catastrophe. Unfortunately, we have a bunch of leftist friends who probably would be knocking on our door for help at some point. Turning them away would be difficult, but we'd have to do it. If I'd turn away people I'm familiar with, I'm pretty unlikely to take in a stranger, even if his work ethic seems great.

Bottom line: the time to prepare is now. The signs are there and the discussion volume on stocking up on rice, beans, water purification, home defense, bug-out bags, etc. yadda yadda yadda is pretty intense. Don't come looking for a bail-out AFTER the S has HTF.

G21.45 06-18-2008 04:41 PM

:rolleyes: In a word, horde! Besides, your presumed scenario is unrealistic. Other people aren't going to be showing up asking to barter labor for food. It's far more likely that your neighbors will do everything possible to, first, rob you blind and, then, attempt to take by force-of-arms everything and anything they haven't already managed to acquire by stealth.

It's nice that you're a Christian; but, in the midst of a complete system failure and economic collapse, there isn't going to be a lot of Christianity left to go around. If you need an example look at NOLA! More perfect gubernatorial mismanagement and bureaucratic indifference to human suffering could be neither imagined nor conceived.

I live on a farm surrounded by ever increasing suburban sprawl. There are a few of us on the road who would (probably) band together for our own mutual safety. There are herds to be protected and crops to be watched 24 hours a day. One man, one family, cannot, possibly, hope to do everything required by himself.

So whether you are a pragmatist, a cynic, or a Christian, you are going to need help - Help tending to the farm chores, and help protecting and holding onto your own consumable, highly perishable, physical resources. I'll bet that you will be far more likely to barter and defend your available foodstuffs than you will be to share them, magnanimously, with anyone. ;)

Jables 06-18-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G21.45 (Post 28364)
:rolleyes: In a word, horde! Besides, your presumed scenario is unrealistic. Other people aren't going to be showing up asking to barter labor for food. It's far more likely that your neighbors will do everything possible to, first, rob you blind and, then, attempt to take by force-of-arms everything and anything they haven't already managed to acquire by stealth.

It's nice that you're a Christian; but, in the midst of a complete system failure and economic collapse, there isn't going to be a lot of Christianity left to go around. If you need an example look at NOLA! More perfect gubernatorial mismanagement and bureaucratic indifference to human suffering could be neither imagined nor conceived.

I live on a farm surrounded by ever increasing suburban sprawl. There are a few of us on the road who would (probably) band together for our own mutual safety. There are herds to be protected and crops to be watched 24 hours a day. One man, one family, cannot, possibly, hope to do everything required by himself.

So whether you are a pragmatist, a cynic, or a Christian, you are going to need help - Help tending to the farm chores, and help protecting and holding onto your own consumable, highly perishable, physical resources. I'll bet that you will be far more likely to barter and defend your available foodstuffs than you will be to share them, magnanimously, with anyone. ;)

I'm just praying for a Pre-Tribulation Rapture. Then, while the SHTF event is going on, some of us on here and sit on the shores of that river God talks about in Revelations and fish. I'm pretty sure the fishing has to be off the hook in the Creators river. :cool:

I am also preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best, and the only best I see in the future is the Rapture of the Church.

G21.45 06-18-2008 05:58 PM

:) Then keep on praying! I'm sorry to have to tell you; but, Macdonald and Darby's fanciful rapture illusion simply isn't going to occur. The people who push rapture theology, today, are predominantly televangelists who are going about offering hopeful Christians a supposed, 'fast and easy way out' in exchange for even faster and easier credit card donations.

Historically, this sort of nouveau religious ideology is always popular. In earlier times the Roman Catholic Church used to sell, 'indulgences' to dying men as an easy way to dismiss personal sins and concomitant guilt. More recently the, Christian Fundamentalist, 'born again' phenomenon has been sweeping the western world.

No matter that being, 'born again' seems to be more a miracle of the mouth than a marvel of the soul; nevertheless, being, 'born again' remains hugely popular and is frequently parroted by clever Christian braggadocios who enjoy lording their presumed superior souls over other Christians whom they deem to be less favored. The single scripture most frequently offered in support of rapture theology is John Darby's;

'Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, that ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition .... ' (II Thessalonians 2:1-2)

In order to get any sense of, 'rapture' out of this text, another (secret) commentary must be added to it. The hard cold fact is that there is absolutely NO PROOF for rapture theology inside any of the 66 canonized books of the Holy Bible. In fact I am reminded of the Prophet Moses' sage admonition to the children of Israel;

'If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder; and, the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them.'

'Thou shalt NOT hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for The Lord your God proveth you - To know whether ye love The Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.'
(The Book of Deuteronomy 13:1-3)

coltm4 06-18-2008 07:44 PM

i think the idea of a rapture occuring (litteraly) is misinterperetation. i would be hording stuff myself. i would help who i could help,but me and my family come first.

CA357 06-18-2008 08:23 PM

I honestly do not know what I would do. My wife and ours come first. After that, I guess I'll wait and see. My crystal ball isn't getting any reception on this one. ;)

Jables 06-18-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 28406)
I honestly do not know what I would do. My wife and ours come first. After that, I guess I'll wait and see. My crystal ball isn't getting any reception on this one. ;)

You probably have the same model I do, you have to beat the side of it like an old tv.

CA357 06-18-2008 11:26 PM

Yup, 'zactly. :D