Settle An Argument - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Settle An Argument

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Since this is for a Bug out bag, I think it's safe to assume that the OP isn't looking at combat overseas, with medic and platoon support. He is Joe Anybody, looking to stop bleeding should he incur an injury.

I don't assume to know about his medical training, or the scenario that might pop up that requires a stapler. I'm gonna say it's probably safe to assume that there are a hundred better ways of addressing a wound, but we're talking about an emergency where he is likely out on his own, maybe no hospital in his immediate future, no air-evac, and no fully stocked medic bag.

Go with the Krazy Glue. My 2 cents.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #42

Default Not too sure if Krazy glue is the best idea.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

Go with the Krazy Glue. My 2 cents.
I've used krazy glue, and it seems to crack and open back up with movement... and with larger cuts it would probablly happen even easier. If you gotta hop and pop after getting hurt, you're going to want something that will hold. So long as you can clean the wound and disinfect it... I don't see why a skin stapler would be a bad idea!! Easy and fast to use. You would need more training on cleaning wounds and stitching than pinching the wound together and clacking the staple gun. I'm not crazy about the idea of having to self aid, but this seems the easiest way.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMPnPA View Post
I've used krazy glue, and it seems to crack and open back up with movement... and with larger cuts it would probablly happen even easier. If you gotta hop and pop after getting hurt, you're going to want something that will hold. So long as you can clean the wound and disinfect it... I don't see why a skin stapler would be a bad idea!! Easy and fast to use. You would need more training on cleaning wounds and stitching than pinching the wound together and clacking the staple gun. I'm not crazy about the idea of having to self aid, but this seems the easiest way.
Use more glue.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #44

just carry a tube of super glue....after all it wass originally designed to close wounds.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #45

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Wound stapler's

I had seen wound staplers advertised in catalog for hunting dogs (Hog Hunting) the particular catalog was 'NITE LITE'
They had a hand held pistol grip type stapler + staples
Nasco vet supply section would have allot of the equipment one would need
can order online and sent to your front door!!
the wound would have to be flushed with mild Iodine'Beta dine solution and slather on some Neosporin Think large quantitys (learned on a run over dog) nurseing a dog back to health was a challange be shure to have allot of 'Non Stick Gauze'
also 1/2 pint or larger ointment and lots of sport wrap double what you think you would need and then add 70% more!!!! just changeing some dressings on a dog was a eye opener! you could volenteer at a vet clinic on weekends it helps gain first hand knowelage doctoring without having to practice on humans.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:35 AM   #46

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I must say I am extremely impressed at how calm everyone has stayed in this discussion, even when some disagree, of what most would still call a pretty "out there" question. On G&G, this would have turned into a flame-fest by the second page.

Now, my two cents on the subject. I personally keep towels and duct tape in the bag. I know that are reasonably safe to use (I.E. no increased risk of infection over other methods, no real risk of further damaging the tissue over other methods, etc), and I know it takes hardly any skill, or especially time, to squeeze two sides of a wound together and wrap the limb / torso in the tape to hold it closed. I have used it on minor wounds (ones that are too small to really worry about, but large enough that the bleeding and sensitivity are annoying), and it seems to work just as well as a band-aid for slowing / stopping bleeding.

My BOB is also both my shooting and camping pack. The main pouch is about half full all the time, so I could throw in some extra whatever, depending on the situation, whether that be food, winter clothes, household papers, food etc. It holds my 10/22 (which folds and has a 16" barrel), 2L of water, and some basic shooting (some .22 ammo, a bore snake) and camping (compass, hankerchief, camp soap, rope, tarp, water purification tablets, towel, etc). The main reason I use the same pack and gear for all these different things is so I can maintain familiarity with it. I would have no clue how to use a staple gun on a wound, and would probably end up doing more damage than I prevent by using one. Thus, I prefer to keep it simple with the duct tape.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #47

Default don't laugh

chicks menstrual pads and duct tape will close a very deep wound ! you may get a few weird looks when buying them but it's worth it. i have seen a large slash on ankle with severed achilles tendon, blood flow stopped completly did not help with tendon which was bunched up around knee joint.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #48

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
chicks menstrual pads and duct tape will close a very deep wound ! you may get a few weird looks when buying them but it's worth it. i have seen a large slash on ankle with severed achilles tendon, blood flow stopped completly did not help with tendon which was bunched up around knee joint.
Oooh I've heard that before!!

Gross wound, btw... haha.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #49

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I must say I am extremely impressed at how calm everyone has stayed in this discussion, even when some disagree, of what most would still call a pretty "out there" question. On G&G, this would have turned into a flame-fest by the second page.
Well, first off, the TS is known to hand more than one flamer their ass in a bag for speaking such non-sense...

Outside of that though, I would like to think we have a more reasonable and close knit membership here than a lot of boards with Mall Ninja's and Urban Commandos running around trying to prove how "E"-Tough they are.

Welcome to the Group by the way Lindenwood - Hopefully you will enjoy your stay enough to make it a regular stop...

JD

Old 02-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #50

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, first off, the TS is known to hand more than one flamer their ass in a bag for speaking such non-sense...

Outside of that though, I would like to think we have a more reasonable and close knit membership here than a lot of boards with Mall Ninja's and Urban Commandos running around trying to prove how "E"-Tough they are.

Welcome to the Group by the way Lindenwood - Hopefully you will enjoy your stay enough to make it a regular stop...

JD
Also JD knows that Id give him the five finger death punch if he tried to ban me for talking smack. This is MY house and all you bitches better rekonize!