Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Settle An Argument (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/settle-argument-9120/)

user4 12-12-2008 03:20 PM

Settle An Argument
 
I am trying to put a few finishing touches into my Armageddon Bag (a.k.a. BoB)
and I mentioned to my wife that I wanted a medical staple gun. Of course, I got the knee jerk reaction of "No way!" and that "you can't buy those" (even though you sure can) and "only a doctor should use those"(to which I say BS).

There are a ton of good life saving wound closers, but a staple gun is cheap and effective and has more practicability than many other such items.

So the question stands: To buy a medical staple gun or to NOT buy a medical staple gun. That is the question.

ranger_sxt 12-12-2008 04:07 PM

What sort of Bug Out Bag are you building (a get-home bag, a bag for all contingincies, a bag to get you to a rendezvous/cache point, a 3B Bag)? Where are you bugging out to? How long do you plan on having to bug out for?

Given all of those variables, I would have to think about your plan to put that in a bag. It would take some serious convincing for me to include anything like that in a bag that I carry. I think it would be better in a cache or a bug out vehicle.

user4 12-12-2008 04:38 PM

I'm talking about the "democrat zombies causing a civil war" bug bag. But it doesn't really matter. There's room, and it's a small item, and it's cheap.

A cache is just not practical for me right now, given the distances I need to travel to my getaway.

Dillinger 12-12-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 55388)
I'm talking about the "democrat zombies causing a civil war" bug bag. But it doesn't really matter. There's room, and it's a small item, and it's cheap.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one Ineff. You are more talking a "head for the hills, load up all you think you are going to need in the vehicle and make a break for it" bag not a traditional Bug Out Bag.

JD

ScottG 12-12-2008 04:44 PM

It sounds funny, but staples are better than sutures. Especially if you have to sew yourself up!!!

I believe many ob/gyns now use staples to close up c sections.

The Romans used staples to bind wounds, so it's not a new idea.

user4 12-12-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 55389)
I'm inclined to agree with you on this one Ineff. You are more talking a "head for the hills, load up all you think you are going to need in the vehicle and make a break for it" bag not a traditional Bug Out Bag.

JD

Precisely correct

user4 12-12-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottG (Post 55392)
It sounds funny, but staples are better than sutures. Especially if you have to sew yourself up!!!

I believe many ob/gyns now use staples to close up c sections.

The Romans used staples to bind wounds, so it's not a new idea.

This is exactly what precipitated the idea. We went in today to get my wife's staples removed (as if I couldn't do that). And the fact you can do it yourself is a HUGE plus to me.

Jay 12-12-2008 08:50 PM

I work in a hospital.

Quote:

(as if I couldn't do that)
Without the proper removal tool, you would not be on your wife's Christmas list. Trust me, without that tool, removal is not nice.

Dillinger 12-12-2008 08:54 PM

Well, that begs the question as to whether or not a civilian can purchase said staple puller-outer tool thingy???

I simply must know now....:p

JD

Jay 12-12-2008 09:09 PM

NOT endorsing any brand, or vendor (search for medical staple remover)...... but do your potential patient a favor and buy a sterile kit. Not expensive, but used haphazardly, they can be a huge source of infection.

http://www.egeneralmedical.com/mme-82762.html

...I get know now points for this, right?


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.