Semi-arid/arid climate SHTF
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Semi-arid/arid climate SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Semi-arid/arid climate SHTF

Ok so I know the basics. Stock up on food and water and the like but in almost every thread I see on here once that is all used up everyone just says "I'll head to the woods" or what ever.

Well there are no woods around here. It is farm land as far as you can see in any direction. There is no game other than the occasional rabbit or bird if its the right time of year. There is very little to no water.

The best thing I could think of is to go to my families farm 90 miles NE of here. 30 miles east of there on some friends land is some decent hunting and a small amount of wild fruit but still very little water.

So my question is what would yall do in my situation if SHTF? I am slowly stocking up on supplies but without being able to replenish with fresh stocks I kind think me and everyone in this area might be up s*** creek.

Sorry for the long post.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #2

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Do you keep stores at the family farm? If I had a farm at my disposal I'd store stuff there. But I'd want to get there as soon as possible to secure everything and make sure no one steals it all or takes up shop in your home.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #3

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

And as far as water, since it's farmland aren't there irrigation canals?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
And as far as water, since it's farmland aren't there irrigation canals?
We have two wells on our land. The shallow one is 450ft deep. That would be kinda hard to use if the power for the electric pumps went out. I suppose we could try to get the old windmill up and running again but that well was capped back in the 30's so I don't know if its even deep enough to draw water anymore.

As for supplies, we keep some up there and what we have is safe but it is not sustainable. We have a decent garden but most of the land leased out to a cousin who grows cotton or feed hay on it.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Last time I was through Texas farm country there were wind pumps pumping water from the ground and stock tanks to hold it in. These days there are probably lots of solar pumps too. Take a look around, you might find they are still there. A buddy of mine has a place down south of here where they get 5 inches of rain a year in a wet year. Last season they got 5 inches, but 4 of it was in one storm system that lasted only a couple of days. There is absolutely no surface water to be found anywhere around there. Creekbeds are bone dry. But he still has his antique Aeromotor windmill pump standing over the one hand dug well. I could get that sucker working in a day I'm sure. If not there is always a rope and a bucket.

(Edit) You posted as I was writing. I don't think a wind pump will pull water up 450 feet. Solar electric will though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #6

This is what i'm talking about as far as solar well pumps. http://www.solar-electric.com/grsoposuwapu.html

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #7

The only solar powered pumps I have seen around here are at the research farms near Lubbock. All the other pumps are the occasional old natural gas or electric pumps. I will look into the solar though.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

wind mill pumps can pump as deep as solar (around 1000').

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Make a pond and put in some fish. Learn how to grow vegetables.......

Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #10

I have a buddy who has 60 acres up in Tehama (northern CA) where is is as dry as a bone in the summer (most of CA is extremely dry in the summer and fairly wet in the winter0 Tehama gets about 23 inches of rain annually and none of it comes during the summer.) Anyhow, one of his neighbors put in a solar powered well pump and it pumps as long as the sun is shining so he built a 5 acre pond to pump the water into. The pond stays full all summer long.

Quote: