seed questions...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > seed questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default seed questions...

Hey guys, I figured there would be some good insight on this board about this subject. I currently live on a vast amount of farmland that's not in use anymore. This coming spring, me and the old lady plan on planting a small family garden. I've never planted an actual garden before (ie, carrots, corn, beans, etc...) I hear a lot of weird stuff on other boards/ radio so I guess my question is, and I apologize for being entirely ignorant on the subject,

If I plant a garden with commercial seeds (Wallyworld seed packets), will they produce seeds for the next season on their own, or is this a one shot deal (ie I need seed reserves for further seasons).

I know to some if not most of you, this is probably a stupid question, but once again, I have no experience and I'm trying to learn. I've grown many things in the past and know HOW to garden, I've just never made something I would want to sustain from season to season.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #2

Edit to add, I just realized I posted in the wrong forum, feel free to move to survival if necessary. My apologies.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7088 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 8583

Most garden plants need new seeds planted every year to grow. You may get a 'volunteer' tomato plant here or there but for the most part, the garden must be planted every year.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2088 Times on 1133 Posts
Likes Given: 3162

Quote:
If I plant a garden with commercial seeds (Wallyworld seed packets), will they produce seeds for the next season on their own, or is this a one shot deal (ie I need seed reserves for further seasons).
You can save and preserve the seeds from most garden vegetables. However, most of the seeds that are sold are hybrids. The vegetable that is produced next year may not have the same appearance size and taste as the one that came up the first year. This is especially true of tomato seed.

For peppers, egg plant, tomatoes, etc. it is better to buy bedding plants.

There are companies that sell non-hybrid garden seed. Google up heirloom varieties.

Here is one company:

HEIRLOOM SEEDS - over 1300 varieties of non-hybrid seeds including heirloom vegetable seeds, heirloom flower seeds and heirloom herb seeds.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

As Al said. Example- you plant Big Boy tomatoes- and they do great- you save the seeds, plant- and get Cherry tomatoes. Big Boy is a hybrid- a cross between cherry and Rutgers. The next generation reverts to the dominant parent- a cherry tomato.

Hybrids were created for disease resistance, size, appearance, etc. But they do not breed true. To do that, you need non-hybrids, also called "heirloom" seed. If you plant a Mortgage Lifter Tomato, or a Cherokee Purple, you get Mortgage lifter or Cherokee purples. Country Gentleman Sweet corn gets more Country gentleman. Save the seed from Candy Corn ultra sweet, and you get a plant that looks a bit like millet, not sweet corn.

we do grow a lot of hybrids- buy new seed every year- but I also plant some heirlooms. Just because.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up guys. There's still some time before plantin' season, so just starting the research. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have been stocking up on non hybrid seeds for a while. Here's a link to a place that's very reasonable. There's not a lot of variety, but it will keep you fed.

Link: Seed for Security

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Burpees also carries Heirloom seed-

Heirloom Seeds and Plants, All Heirloom Vegetables - Burpee.com

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks c3. I bookmarked the Burpee site. I need some variety and they have a nice selection.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default seeds .........

i hope the shtf never happens ,but the big corp.farms are buying out mom and pop farms.this is the plan ...it sounds unreal but it is happening .archer daniels midland ,monsanto ,dow and others are producing genetically altered seed,that when planted,grow in a ''leased'' farm (mom and pop).you use company seed and chemicals on your land ....when your lease is up ..your land will not grow anything but big corp farm products ....they manipulate your land.so ...if you cant grow ...you go belly up ,the bank /auction gets your family land ...only to be bought up by big corp farms!