Scout Load Out
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Scout Load Out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default Scout Load Out

Ok I've been camping for years since I was 5, I've been going to a family friends piece of land (with permission), no ones really been back there in years all there kids have moved off and most of there family lives out west. My dad, my brother in law and me. Go camping out there them to get away and me to look around and see what I can find, we find a new camping spot everytime we go out and I usually find something new most of the time I'm out there. So since I've been doing this type of camping I have my standard hiking gear all 100+ pounds of it then I got my scouting gear. Which consist of a bag, a canteen, my knife, and a hatchet. I usually keep matches, food, ammo, a knife sharpener, extra socks, and a small pouch for tools,twine and what ever else I might need in the bag and carry my mossberg 702 plinkster with me. Does anyone else do this type of thing?

image02272013020759.jpg   image02272013023214.jpg  

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Sounds like a lot of fun, wish I could say I did it too

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

dango Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1887 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 5676

Back when I was in better shape, I thought 75 lbs was my limit.

I am all for lightening the load. My equipment was not so much survivalist, but more extended backpacking.
Haven't done any of this in years. (Wife, Kids, Work, you know the usual)

dango Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6550 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 6194

I humped 75 pounds up and down the Rockies until I was almost 50. Now, at 68, I really enjoy my camping trailer!

People Like This 
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1496 Times on 978 Posts
Likes Given: 3234

I used to camp all the time, not that I really thought of it as camping. Me and friends would just put up a tarp to sleep under and catch fish or whatever to eat. Dinner might be fresh catfish, venison, or whatever was handy. I remember catching bass and putting them over some coals for a quick snack while waiting for a deer hind quarter buried in the same coals to finish cooking - The rest of that night was Budweiser and playing Led Zeppelin on the guitar by the camp fire. Life was good.

Like I said I never really thought of it as camping. I would just end up somewhere by a river, on a lake, in a swamp, or in the woods and eventually go back home at some point. Summers were pretty much one long camping trip. I really haven't done a lot of camping since I finished school, and they aren't near as much fun now. I guess I never really got used to captivity after spending my childhood and teenage years being wild as a weed. A weekend camping trip is just enough to make me want to go native.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I humped 75 pounds up and down the Rockies until I was almost 50. Now, at 68, I really enjoy my camping trailer!
I would love to have a small camping trailer. I have a 28' 5th wheel I have to haul around to keep the wife happy. Not really camping but comfortable.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #7

It's comes in real handy when we go out in the big woods, I usually go out a few miles from camp to have a walk around I can usually get dinner and maybe find some good hunting spots sometimes I find things people drop or just things most people havent seen in a while. It also comes in handy because any back packers know that carrying a hundred plus pound pack can wear you out after a few miles.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

dango Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Sounds like my hunting pack. I probably enjoy scouting for locations as much as taking game....

Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

I hike in the local desert once a week and use a small back pack that has a frame to keep the pack separated from your back. Cuts the sweat factor way down. Mine came from Austria but Cabelas sells a hunting pack that does the same thing. I carry a hydration bladder, first aid, lunch, spare batteries for the GPS etc. I much prefer the bladder to canteens or bottles.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

dango Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #10

I had a couple of different bladders but I keep getting holes in the things I don't know how it happens but it does. So I just use canteens now and I usually carry a bottle or two of water just in case I get a whole or the thing breaks on me.

Murphy's law...

BE PREPARED

dango Likes This