Scenario -What would you do? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Scenario -What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6828 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
My buddy and I were having a discussion and I'd like to know what you guys think. What would you do?

SCENARIO: LEAVING THE MALL

You are leaving the mall alone after going shopping. You have one bag in your weak hand and nothing in the other. You have a CCW and are carring it strong side IWB. Upon heading out into the parking garage where your car is parked two males that you did not see begin to follow you about 12 feet back. It is night time and you are alone. No one else seems to be around.

You are aware of this and turn around and tell them to stop following you. You are walking backwards at this point with them 10 feet from you. Their hands are exposed, no weapons can be seen, but they seem to be following you for a reason other than a friendly conversation. They continue to advance. You tell them to "Stop! Get Back! Leave me alone!" To you it seems like you are going to get jumped, maybe attacked or carjacked. You are obviously concerned for your safety and these two guys don't seem detered by your commands.You continue to tell them to stop, while walking backwards to your vehicle which is parked at the far end of the lot.

The only way to possibly get away is to run by them back into the mall or to run to your car and hope you can get inside before they get to you. Neither option seems like a good idea. You are watching their hands and they are still exposed, but dammit, they are still coming towards you and it doesn't seem like a friendly visit. They say they just want to talk, but it obviously seems like more.

Considering they are acting aggressive, there isn't any sure way away from them without turning your back or trying to go around them what would you do? You draw your firearm, but they still advance and don't seem to be affected by it.

I personally think this is a reason to draw your weapon. You feel threatened and are afraid that bodily harm will come to you. While they have no visable weapons they arn't friends, it's late at night, and their visit doesn't seem to be friendly. My question is do you feel it is justified to shoot if they continue to advance without any weapons?

My friend thought you should draw, but shoot for their legs not center mass. He said it would be better to wound then to possibly kill them considering they have no weapons or haven't said anything threatening.

I feel that it is definitely wrong to shoot to wound, but how can I explain it to him besides " you don't do that ever."?

What would you do and what do you think of my friends reaction in this scenario?

On one hand I think that shooting either of these guys is the wrong move, and looks bad if they don't have any weapons on them, but seeing what people can do once they get close enough even with their bare hands sure makes me feel threatened and fear for my life. Plus, they could have a knife or something and just haven't pulled it yet. They arn't sane seeing as how you keep telling them to stop and get back.

NOTE: None of this happened. We were just having a discussion and seeing how we both had two totally different ways of considering handling it, I wanted others opinions.
actually had something very similar happen about 6 years ago in milwaukee. 3 mall goblins following me to my truck asking for money for gas (common scam in my area) i pulled my cell phone and called 911. they ran when i started talking to the dispatcher. wish i had a gun, but no ccw. last time i went to the mall in milwaukee.

spoke with the cops when they arrived filled out a report. im sure they never did anything. milwaukee chief of police was a pro-crime liberal scumbag at the time. the new one is the same sort of scumbag.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #22

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

This is not unrealistic. I was chased with my son by an obvious drug addict. He chased us through a dark parking lot. My son was only 10 years old at the time. Luckily the guy stopped following us before I was forced to shoot him. I turned a corner around a building and prepared to draw. He did not come around the corner.

Once it happens to you there is nothing silly about it!
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #23

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
In todays world it is really stupid to go shopping where one would be alone ,at night ,subject to a robbery ,rape or being killed, if you live in a high crime area.The posted ''what if '' seems too unrealistic for real life ..... cable tv maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
If your going to do this thing, don't forget to pick up your brass and destroy your weapon used or leave it there.

The legal crap after the fact is such a bitch.

And I agree this thread is stupid.
Is the scenario a little contrived, maybe, maybe not. But it is fairly realistic and could easily happen whether it is a mall parking lot or a restaurant or bar parking lot.

I remember something my mama taught me, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"..... if you don't have something to add to the conversation that is constructive, don't butt in.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #24

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

The scenario is flawed from the start.

Seriously, who does not check to see if they are being followed when leaving anywhere? Who dares to just casually walk through a dark parking garage or lot (where do they exist these days?) when alone and not notice two fellas not 20 feet behind them?

This is troll bait as JD has posted.

Anyhoo, if one is stupid enough to get in this situation, then stop short. Start patting your pockets and talking to yourself. Turn and walk right through them, stabbing both in one kidney as you go by. Keep walking and talking to yourself and patting your pockets like you lost something.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #25

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Troll bait...I'll keep that in mind.

The basis of this has happened (see above). I just went into much greater detail.

You leave someplace alone at night. As you exit the door two men begin to follow you ( which you notice right away). They have no weapons and are ignoring your shouting to stop following you. They are not friendly. What would you do?

Why the he'll does some think this is so far fetched? As much as I try to fully be aware of my surroundings, sometimes I may miss something.

Last edited by jamesb; 02-06-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6828 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
Troll bait...I'll keep that in mind.

The basis of this has happened (see above). I just went into much greater detail.

You leave someplace alone at night. As you exit the door two men begin to follow you ( which you notice right away). They have no weapons and are ignoring your shouting to stop following you. They are not friendly. What would you do?

Why the he'll does some think this is so far fetched? As much as I try to fully be aware of my surroundings, sometimes I may miss something.
its easy. if your scared, no weapons present, first thing call the cops. i pull a cell phone before i pull a gun. if weapons are present then you go right to a gun. the cops wont rodney king ya for being scared.

personally after my one experience i dont go out at nite if i dont have to. i dont go into high crime areas if its avoidable. minimize your risks. go shopping dining theater etc in safer areas avoid the issue altogether.

situational awareness is important and my few runins with goblins have taught me valuable life saving lessons.

i would far rather avoid a fight than be forced to take a life even a worthless criminal one. i want my ccw in wisconsin to be prepaired for a last resort not to go parading around in downtown milwaukee at nite with a gun.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #27

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

^Well said!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #28

This is an old thread, but I would like to comment anyway.

The scenario isn't totally implausible. And the main question is a valid on.

I was in California for an annual trainers clinic. One night after training we were heading tithe restaurant. I am not a small guy and I was walking with some of the most skilled fighters/trainers I've ever head the pleasure of knowing. Then, a lone kid shows up around 25 feet or so behind us asking if we have any change.

We are all trained in situational awareness. He still had a slight drop on us. A large part of this lapse was because of the company as there were set to be 15 of us meeting in the parking lot, but we are usually very aware anyway.

I would also like to note, yes, in my mind, in the posted scenario, you are smart to pull your weapon. The truth is, if I get my hands on you before you are able to pull your weapon, you won't be able to pull it. I won't even have to reach for your weapon.

Also, it isn't all that difficult to do some serious damage without a weapon.

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #29

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Default Warning shot?

My first consideration would be am I being paranoid? I would walk a pointless circle to insure they were following me. Perhaps around a couple of cars. (Perhaps back into the mall?) If they cut between cars to close distance, I would know I wasn’t being paranoid.

As far as warning goes, I think maybe I would say, “Get away, I will defend myself.” I don’t think I would tell them I had a gun.

12 feet really isn’t very much distance. I think I would pull it and hold it behind me to see if they turned away. I think just aiming for display it puts it at risk of being taken. I’m also not much for ‘shoot to wound’ either. I don’t think I would aim it at someone unless I intended to STOP someone.

What are your thoughts about a ‘warning shot’ in the air or ground as an emphatic way to announce one’s lethality?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #30
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11007 Times on 4767 Posts
Likes Given: 1810

Warning shot= bad idea.