Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Say I have no gun oil... what do I do.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default No Gun oil ?

If it gets that bad You won't need it. But, If your willing just Google animal fats as a lubricant. Read the different techniques of how to make your own. And as for a cleaning solvent Google How to make Kerosene. All of which is very simple. Lets all Hope it doesn't come to this, but the know how is worth it.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Now, my friend swears up and down that you can use olive or canola oil in firearms and it would work just as well as gun oil for cleaning and preservation purposes.
The Zombie Survival Guide is awesome. The follow up, World War Z is a great read as well.

I think your friend is slightly misinformed, or perhaps his terminology is just off.

You need some sort of solvent for cleaning purposes, the oil is to keep them clean and from rusting.

As such, you can clean most parts with simple soap and water, applied with a little elbow grease. The trick is that you have to get them dry and then lubed with any of the products listed above of a long term lubricant like Fluid Film to keep them from rusting and seizing up.

Anything you could find or salvage from a machine shop or garage would be the first choice. Cooking oils, as stated, just don't have the necessary chemical application in their composition for what you are asking them to do.

In the event you had a piece that you wanted to preserve, store away, and were able to clean it. Use of Canola or Peanut oil, if applied lightly before placing the weapon in some sort of water proof bag ( large ziploc ) probably would not do any harm.

But for running and gunning of a level 4 zombie attack, I would stick with the thick stuff found in motor vehicles everywhere.

JD

Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

mobile 1 nothing better but grease in my eyes.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
mobile 1 nothing better but grease in my eyes.
You enjoy grease in your eyes?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #15

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic for my AR-15. I'm not sure why I haven't been for my handguns. I love Hoppe's oil, but as soon as I'm out, I'll probably stick with the Mobil 1. 2 oz. bottle versus a quart at almost the same price. You can't go wrong!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #16

Interesting. I haven't heard of using motor oil for guns, but looking at what motor oil IS, it makes sense.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who thinks using olive oil on a gun is wonky, and would damage the gun.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Cooking oil isn't a good option, IMO. It will cook off and burn unlike Mobil1 and other synthetic motor oils.

Go buy a couple quarts of 5w-30 Mobil1 and that should last you at least a week or two. ;-)

Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Every abandoned vehicle has a dipstick under the hood. They make great applicators.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #19

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only person who thinks using olive oil on a gun is wonky, and would damage the gun.
On the other hand, stir some greens with your gun and you have a delicious salad!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
motor oil, transmission fluid, etc.

Any kind of petroleum based lubricant would work.
Petroleum based anything with a gun is a bad idea. Petroleum based stuff tends to gum up the works in the hot weather and coagulate in the cold unlike synthetic oils. Not to mention that petrol based oils attract particulates like a magnet, even more so than synthetic, why do you think synthetic lasts so long?
I use Rem Oil and will resort to Hoppes #9 if I have caked on crud to desolve but I'm moving to Tetra grease for all my friction surface and using the Rem Oil for its protective values until I can find something better.

When the democrat zombies are beating on your door its a little too late to worry about gun oil, run it dry until you can find the nearest oil pan, dip stick, or if you're lucky you can raid an AutoZone or WalMart that still has some, after all Oil is the last thing people are thinking about in a crisis.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.