Saving Seed From local produce/Window Box Growing operation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Saving Seed From local produce/Window Box Growing operation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Saving Seed From local produce/Window Box Growing operation

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

The question of folks, seed stocks and grows of Plants in winter might seem a little odd? I've had time to reflect on my preps and despite some positive turns in our finances, it's tough going! I know many folks feel the same way and live day to day, month to month in their personal lives as well as their spendng habits?

How to get Good, solid seed stock that non-Hybrid, self sustaining and can be a start of a way to become even more self sufficient and independent of catalogs, extra dollars spent and with an investment in time and skills that one day might save your family!

I have always bought produce at Road side stands, Flea markets and farmers Markets, the quality is better and I like the idea of supporting local growers. As well, the prices are good and fresh is always better.

With the Ice and snow here and perhaps too much time on my hands, I though, how to extend my seed stocks of Crops and produce I like and use a lot in our cooking and meals. With all the local farmers markets closed and ditto any Flea markets or Roadside stands, I had to think outside the box. Buying my Produce at Wal-mart, Kroegers or Aldis and many other food markets. I saw this as a way to duplicate what other would do and do in their weekly shopping sprees?

I gathered Bell peppers, Hot Peppers, Romanao as well as a few different tomatoes! I used the Flesh of the Vegetables for our meals but made it a point to remove the seeds from the Peppers, and Tomatoes to save.

How to save the seeds, not let them rot or ruin, and how to harvest them? A use of Bing as well as few other search engines, showed how many seed companies gather seed year to year for sale and saving. I duplicated the Process with Wax paper as well as Paper towns, Newspaper ands other low cost recyclable material. I as well, saved many different Metal cans, as well as other disposable containers food came in to use as vessels to grow the seedlings.

I Spread the Seed and pulp from the Tomatoes as well as the peppers and laid them out to dry. Not wanting blow the save by being too impatient, I set them on a shelf in the laundry room and on wash day used the heat and drying action of that room to dry out the seed masses.

Once dried the wax paper was easier, but I also used seeds spread out on Paper towels to dry, see PIC #1 :

pic # 1:

As you can see, this Laid them out so they could be seen and identified from the vegetable pump, this was easier on the peppers than the tomatoes! Using a dull knife, as well as my Fingernails I gently scraped the seeds present on the sheet in PIC #1 and dumped them into a small Container to save, see

PIC # 2:

Once that was One, I used many different containers sizes, shapes and sizes, mostly what ever food stuffs we used they serve as the base for the seedling growing process! Then, a sunny window area became the base for my widow box gardein grow,

See

PICS # 3:

PIC # 4:

As you can see, all I did was add Potting soil (Enriched with Miracle Grow Solution for faster grow and let nature, the sun and time do it's thing? I will add more PICS of the Grow to this thread till they produce flowering buds and fruit, or bust out? Either way, it cost me little, but time and some effort and should be a solid base for next summers crops?

You can do it many different ways and I'm not saying mine is perfect or the only way! Try it yourself and see what I mean, Prepping need not cost ya major MONEY! It's a Lifestle not a bank account?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good thread Ron.

With the feds screwing around and deciding what seeds we can have and grow, we need alternatives.

I found a spot online for non hybrid seeds and have been stocking up as I can.

Imagine being a lawbreaker for growing non hybrid vegetables.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Good thread Ron.

With the feds screwing around and deciding what seeds we can have and grow, we need alternatives.

I found a spot online for non hybrid seeds and have been stocking up as I can.

What place are you getting them from? How long do they keep?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The length of time seeds will keep depends on the vegetable. I've vacuum sealed mine and hope to stretch their shelf life.

This is where I've been getting them. They're inexpensive and ship for free. http://www.seedforsecurity.com/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Great Minds think alike?

Hello all, Thanks CA357, Great minds thnk alike? I saw the Law wit the feds coming a while back and I wanted to offer folks an Alternative to sold seeds that might get really hard to fnd or go way up in cost? Yea, what a shame I have to become a Criminal for Growing peppers and Tomattoes? Looks one step closer to the end of our way of life and Constitution? OH well, I know I will Provide for me and Mine and thats a Great Idea vacuum sleaning them, as of late, I've just put them in Zip Lock bags, yours is a better and longer term Sulution, thanks for the Great reply man! I can always count on you to have my back!

RON

Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My pleasure Ron.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Back to Basics....

Just yesterday my wife and I were talking about the seed bed and getting an early jump on planting. I've kept one cuke from the spring pickings, it's been on the shelf since May and is just starting to go bad. Thats all most eight months on the shelf. If I can get the seeds to sprout and produce the cukes should be really good keepers. Crossing my fingers. Good luck with the unkown seeds. If nothing else you will have gleaned a lot of know how from the looks of your Pics. Happy gardening.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #8

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Thank CA. Have you tried them yet to see if the seeds work from year to year?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Indeed, imagine.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I haven't planted them. We won't be here come Spring. (I sincerely hope) So they'll go with us to our new home.

The idea to have non-hybrid seeds is so the seeds can be saved and then planted.

Shelf life is generally a year or two, but archeologists have found ancient seeds in Egypt that have been planted and grown. That's why I'm vacuum sealing them.

When we're in our new place, I'll plant some and see how well they grow. It will also be time for me to collect and save their seeds.

The website I gave you has some excellent reading.