Samauri Attack! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Samauri Attack!

View Poll Results: AR-15 or Rem870/Moss500
AR-15/M4 11 68.75%
Remington 870/Mossberg 500 4 25.00%
Ok-wht do you have better? 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3096 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

An Infantry squad with ARs or some full auto variant.
Toss in a Flamethrower for good measure.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #22

Any shotgun will work as long as you let me max out my load with "dragon fire" shells.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Of your two options, i picked the AR.

I would rather have my SKS; that bamboo armor might shut down the .22.
Further, my Norinco SKS is naturally anti-Japanese and would still have the spikey bayonet if i ran out of ammo.

edit* I would have to insist on good quality BRASS-cased ammo for the AR.
Samurais wore steel armor!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
Samurais wore steel armor!
All of them? That is not my understanding and disagrees with the summary on wikipedia and other interweb sources. Japanese armour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THE ANATOMY OF THE SAMURAI WARRIOR ARMOR - MilitaryItems.com

Although, after further reading, it is my understanding that the bamboo was said to be only one component of the battle armor. I supose i was thinking more of the practice "armor" they are shown using in practice duels.

Regardless, i'd prefer something larger than .22 caliber for a defensive firearm.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #25

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

All of them? That is not my understanding and disagrees with the summary on wikipedia and other interweb sources. Japanese armour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although, after further reading, it is my understanding that the bamboo was said to be only one component of the battle armor. I supose i was thinking more of the practice "armor" they are shown using in practice duels.

Regardless, i'd prefer something larger than .22 caliber for a defensive firearm.
Don't know what the samurais wore myself, but one thing I do know is that bamboo is some tough stuff. Tough enough to deflect a .223 round I don't know, but I wouldn't be too surprised.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 AM   #26

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Let me ring in with my opinion since I started the post.I would personally prefer the shotgun with slugs and buckshot myself and try to escape.I think that I could drop quite a few samauri from a distance with slugs and wound several with each single round of buckshot from a distance,and have no problem putting down each and every samauri I encounter from 10 yards or less with buckshot-that is if I am lucky enough to not be hit by arrows

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #27

Quote:

The Japanese were master blacksmiths, who delt with steel. The katanas, and armor were steel. How would a samurai stop a steel sword that can easily slice through a torso, with bamboo armor?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets

The Japanese were master blacksmiths, who delt with steel. The katanas, and armor were steel. How would a samurai stop a steel sword that can easily slice through a torso, with bamboo armor?
I'm going to assume you know much more about the subject than I, but I think they probably tried their best not to get hit with the other guys sword.

I've had the opportunity to handle a high quality handmade samurai sword (not one of those stamped replicas) and must say the quality is downright sinful. I hear that even this type didn't compare to one of the originals.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
Did you review those links? Do you have one that disagrees?

I thought it odd as well, given the legendary quality of their swords. I would imagine the use of iron and other materials for armor probably had something to do with the difficulty of processing raw materials into steel. If i recall correctly, iron is an element that can be mined, while steel is a compound that requires complicated processing using iron and coke and lots of heat. If i had only a limited quantity of steel, i would use it for my offensive weapons.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #30

Quote:

Did you review those links? Do you have one that disagrees?

I thought it odd as well, given the legendary quality of their swords. I would imagine the use of iron and other materials for armor probably had something to do with the difficulty of processing raw materials into steel. If i recall correctly, iron is an element that can be mined, while steel is a compound that requires complicated processing using iron and coke and lots of heat. If i had only a limited quantity of steel, i would use it for my offensive weapons.
steel isn't that complicated, but of course when your trying to make it in a primitive environment (as you seem to be pointing out) yes, it can be very difficult. I believe steel was discovered in some cultures by accident.