Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Safe water storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Default Safe water storage

i am thinking about purchasing a few LARGE (up to 2500 gallons) water containers from this place Water Tanks, Plastic Tanks, RV Tanks, Custom Plastic Tanks, and my questions is........................HOW WOULD YOU KEEP THIS AMOUNT OF WATER "POTABLE" FOR A LONG STORAGE SESSION?

algae would be the biggest problem i am guessing, the containers are sealed and can be buried if so desired (with the right precautions).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

i would prolly put the tank in between the main house water supply and the house itself so there is a constant flow of water through the tank. even so your going to have to be careful in that you need enough turnover fast enough to prevent contamination.

there is no good way to store water longterm without sterilizing it first and even then there is a fairly quick expiration.

i think your better off having a ground well dug and investing in a generator to power the pump rather than one huge pita stockpile. personally i have a generator that can power the essentials in my home if i need it. such as my freezer refrigerator and well pump.

if your talking about shtf zombie time then a solar chargeable battery that can power the well pump.

if you gotta leave your location you can take the generator or battery system with you a 2500 gallon tank isnt very portable.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-31-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 AM   #3

you are very correct, but i don't intend on leaving. i read up on the "inline" situation, but i would rather not due to possible "upstream" contamination @ any point could and would contaminate the whole supply -- that's why i plan to buy a few tanks.

here is my thought processes: underground stored water is kept @ a constant temp, outta sunlight, and sealed until needed, thus no algae should grow........correct? it would be tap water (from a parish source, so it is treated already), and if need be, it could be boiled before use. whattya think? i read (and think this to be true), if sealed and kept that way, good (treated) water should be able to be stored indefinitely.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

As far as I know, you should be okay. But I'm an amateur, not an expert.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #5

Default Reading

USEBOTHHANDS: Sir, these are good reads; with good? ideas

Storing Water, includes how to purify water

Emergency Water Storage : Homeland Security News

How to store drinking water for emergencies - Detroit Country Living | Examiner.com

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #6

Neophyte1

thank you sir, good information for good water and water storage. 'preciate it!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you can buy water purifiers, i think you just need alot of it, and i would keep it moving with like a pump so it doesnt get stale and attract mosquitos and stuff

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #8

check out the post, it'll be sealed and put "outta sight, and outta mind." no mosquitoes, no sunlight, verly little temperature changes, and NO access to possible tainting from "inline" water supplies to "keep it fresh." don't want to risk possible contamination of upstream pipe breaks, or boil water notices.

i just need to know if i can 1. fill, 2. seal, 3. forget till needed.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Water is supposed to have a pretty infinite shelf life. However, it may pick up an odor or taste from the plastic tank itself.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams