Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The S(has)HTF Watch Haiti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The S(has)HTF Watch Haiti

Firstly Let me say my heart goes out to Haiti and it's people. The devastation of the country and it's people from the earthquake is impossible to imagine as I sit here safe in my home in California with my family. I hope and pray that the many people working to bring relief and aid to this country are able to do so quickly and efficiently.

This is exactly the type of unforeseen catastrophe that leads me to try to be prepared for an emergency. From what I hear there is no electricity, no running water and most of the medical community is in ruins. Three hospitals have collapsed and sadly many possibly hundreds of medical staff are feared dead. As much as 1/3 of the people are in the streets without homes or shelter now.

This is a tragedy of unbelievable magnitude. How will the people survive? How and when will the aid reach them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

Google LatLong: Haiti imagery layer now available

Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

Imagery file for use in Google Earth along with other recent images.

Google LatLong: Imagery & maps in the wake of the Haiti Earthquake

Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

This trajedy is of epic proportions, but it could have been lessened. The government of Haiti has a long history of corruption and civil rights abuses. The $4 bil sent to Haiti annualy by the US government has never trickled down to the citizens of Haiti. The weak infastructure, lack of building codes and the absence of human compassion made this worse than it should have been. Mother Nature was not kind, but the blood of the people of Haiti will always be on the Haitian government.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Everything is in ruins! The hospitals, police station, and prison were all destroyed. Along with all those homeless from the civil population, there are those who were locked up in prison among them. These poor people are truely on their own!!

American Red Cross
International Relief Fund
1-800-RED-CROS
1-800-733-2767
TEXT: "HAITI" to 90999
Automatically donates $10 to the Red Cross relief effort

UNICEF

Americans seeking information on family members in Haiti, call ...
1-888-407-4747

More infor on how you can help:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582902,00.html

Beware of SCAMS http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/13/world-looks-help-haitians-scammers/

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 01-14-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
This trajedy is of epic proportions, but it could have been lessened. The government of Haiti has a long history of corruption and civil rights abuses. The $4 bil sent to Haiti annualy by the US government has never trickled down to the citizens of Haiti. The weak infastructure, lack of building codes and the absence of human compassion made this worse than it should have been. Mother Nature was not kind, but the blood of the people of Haiti will always be on the Haitian government.
Agreed. I feel like a jerk for even thinking it, but i can't help but wonder what the place will look like a year or two after the rescue efforts end. I don't think it will get any better, longterm, not easily anyway.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

Even if you stored provisions in such an event, it is entirely possible that it all could be buried in rubble and inaccessible. I hadn't considered this before.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I have personally been there many years ago with the Norweigan Cruise Lines. The people are warm and gracious. But very poor. There is no Building Code. The Government there does not try to improve living conditions.
My heartfelt condolences go out to those who lost loved ones..

I just hope that the aid and help actually get to those who need it !!

Hopefully the nice young man, Miguel, who watched my belongings while snorkeling is O.K. along with his family. He was 13 at the time. Probably about 33 now.. My heart is grieving for him.. According to the cruise lines, 1 dollar was a good tip for watching belongings. ( I gave him 5 bucks as he sat by and did not leave my belongings once) And a nice polite young man trying to make money for his family and deserved more than just a measely dollar ! And I even bought lunch for him and joined my family to a nice beach picnic.

I wish I could go back to help.. Crap, now I'm bummed out..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Agreed. I feel like a jerk for even thinking it, but i can't help but wonder what the place will look like a year or two after the rescue efforts end. I don't think it will get any better, longterm, not easily anyway.
Let's send noboma and the rest of the DC Royals down there to "Help the people" with a one-way ticket.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Im sure we will throw money at it, more than anyone else will. Of course we will be chastized by the rest of the world for not doing enough.