On the Road Again
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > On the Road Again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default On the Road Again

I have a SHTF plan when I am home.

Problem is I travel for work (airlines and rental cars and hotels).
I am on the road more often than I am home, therefore I stand a good chance of being out of town when I am the least prepared.

I fly with 2 checked bags (1 suitcase and 1 toolbox) and 1 carry-on (laptop).
Just wondering if there are any others that travel and suggestions for essentials to carry in my suitcase.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo323 View Post
I have a SHTF plan when I am home.

Problem is I travel for work (airlines and rental cars and hotels).
I am on the road more often than I am home, therefore I stand a good chance of being out of town when I am the least prepared.

I fly with 2 checked bags (1 suitcase and 1 toolbox) and 1 carry-on (laptop).
Just wondering if there are any others that travel and suggestions for essentials to carry in my suitcase.
Cash. If you can act early enough to pay your way home, before everybody realizes currency is worthless, that would solve all your problems.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 08-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am in the same boat and I am looking more and more at packing a handgun. I have CCW for most of the states I travel in anyway. So I bought a pelican case and have it set up to fit inside a med size suitcase. I don't like the idea because of the extra TSA hassle but I do not want to get caught in Texas when the zombies are knocking on the door in NY and all the flights are grounded. Things are getting crazy. If I have to I can drive home in 2 days

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 08-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Cash. If you can act early enough to pay your way home, before everybody realizes currency is worthless, that would solve all your problems.
I always carry cash, but only a couple hundred bucks. not enough to get me home!
I also pack 10 silver and 1 gold, 1 oz. coins. Might get me a little further, but it could also be worthless!
I can empty a couple of gallons of water from the hotel's toilet tank, but after that I am on my own.
Maybe I should be thinking of a lightweight water purification device.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo323 View Post
I always carry cash, but only a couple hundred bucks. not enough to get me home!
I also pack 10 silver and 1 gold, 1 oz. coins. Might get me a little further, but it could also be worthless!
I can empty a couple of gallons of water from the hotel's toilet tank, but after that I am on my own.
Maybe I should be thinking of a lightweight water purification device.
katadyne makes a nice one about the size of a normal sports bottle.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
I am in the same boat and I am looking more and more at packing a handgun. I have CCW for most of the states I travel in anyway. So I bought a pelican case and have it set up to fit inside a med size suitcase. I don't like the idea because of the extra TSA hassle but I do not want to get caught in Texas when the zombies are knocking on the door in NY and all the flights are grounded. Things are getting crazy. If I have to I can drive home in 2 days
I check a handgun most every time I fly.
Problem is, I have to buy ammo when I get to my destination.
I have to pay for overweight baggage because of my tools.
Just looking for advice.

-Ayn Rand

Old 08-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #7

why can't you pack ammo???? If its in a hard plastic case or original box its supposed to be ok.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #8

My bags are already maxxed out!
I think most airlines allow 75 lbs, per bag, and mine are at the limit.
You can fly ammo in your checked baggage on most airlines, I just can't afford anymore weight

-Ayn Rand

Old 08-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9417 Times on 4058 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

I too am one of the new breed of homeless- I live in an aisle seat on a Boeing 737.

In my computer bag (which you will get from me when you pry it from my cold fingers)- $200 in 20s, 10 in quarters. One ziplock bag. Another zipper, clean skivvys and sox. Another bag- instant oatmeal, instant coffee. matches. Water purification tabs. Each bag will carry a quart of water. Plastic poncho, disposable R99 respirator, fire escape hood, LED flashlight. New pair of 72 inch bootlaces. Roll of black duct tape on shoulder strap, and a carbiner. TSA compliant multi-tool. Aspirin, bandaids, Immodium. A prepaid phone card, a second govt ID, spare $500 limit credit card ($0 balance). 2 miniature disposable toothbrushes.

In my checked bag, a S&W Mdl 36, 25 rds of SD ammo, Swiss Army knife.

It ain't "Escape from Alcatraz", but within size/ weight limits, it has gotten me thru some rough trips.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9417 Times on 4058 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

PS- Gordo- visit your local backpacker's store. Katadyn or PUR. About the size of a can of tomato soup. Carry mine when going outside the US. or Detroit.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.