Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   The Road (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/road-22128/)

user4 01-13-2010 02:06 PM

The Road

Has anyone seen this? I loved it.

The world is in ruins after some apocalyptic event. A father and his son are walking towards the coast in an attempt to head south to escape the increasingly cold, endless winter. Along the way they have to avoid gangs forced into cannibalism. Their only weapon is a pistol with 2 shots.

Warning: Not really a happy ending. Kind of like life. Still a great story in the non traditional sense.

M14sRock 01-13-2010 02:30 PM

I read the book. It was well written, and deeply disturbing.

The recurring theme in books such as "Lucifer's Hammer", "One Second After" and "The Road" seems to be cannibalism.

So few people realize that there is a 3 day supply of food in the country at any time. If the delivery systems break down, people will be VERY hungry in a very short time.

Stock up on ammo.

tallguy130 01-13-2010 02:35 PM

I read the book too and loved it. Really messed with my head! By the end I was only reading it during the day. Think I'll hold off on seeing it for a while, have to be in the right mood to see that one.

Stock up on ammo indeed!

user4 01-13-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 212195)
I read the book. It was well written, and deeply disturbing.

The recurring theme in books such as "Lucifer's Hammer", "One Second After" and "The Road" seems to be cannibalism.

So few people realize that there is a 3 day supply of food in the country at any time. If the delivery systems break down, people will be VERY hungry in a very short time.

Stock up on ammo.

Cormac McCarthy also wrote No country for old men, and all the pretty horses he seems to have this recurring theme of helplessness of circumstances.

DoyleTheDog 01-13-2010 03:45 PM

I was waiting for this movie to come out for the longest time. Only to have it not show in theaters within 50 miles of where I live.... Looks like I'll be waiting. Maybe I'll pick up the book.

lonyaeger 01-13-2010 03:53 PM

The book was fantastic, McCarthy won a Pulitzer for it.

Haven't seen the movie but my son did and said it was very good, but not as good as the book. Although Viggo Mortensen absolutely rocks.

user4 01-13-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog (Post 212229)
I was waiting for this movie to come out for the longest time. Only to have it not show in theaters within 50 miles of where I live.... Looks like I'll be waiting. Maybe I'll pick up the book.

There are other ways to see this movie...

lonyaeger 01-13-2010 05:58 PM

Yeah, but I'd rather seen it on a Bluray player in my home or in the theater.;)

DoyleTheDog 01-13-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 212247)
There are other ways to see this movie...

True, but I'd rather not watch a good movie on the computer. I save that for movies that I wouldn't ever bother renting.

M14sRock 01-13-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 212200)
Cormac McCarthy also wrote No country for old men, and all the pretty horses he seems to have this recurring theme of helplessness of circumstances.

After reading "The Road" my wife got me "No Country for Old Men". The first half was good, but then it really fell off. Lousy ending, too. Have not read "All the Pretty Horses".