Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Reviving old batteries (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/reviving-old-batteries-65704/)

Scratchammo 06-03-2012 07:28 AM

Reviving old batteries
 
I figure I'd post this here as it applies to self sustenance. I revived an old deep cycle battery with epsom salt. Before it wouldn't hold a charge but now it's replaced the paddles in my Jon boat. I've also done a lot of online research on electronic desulfators & came across this: http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=12248

You can charge & desulfate up to six 12 volt batteries in parallel & also pair up 6 volt batteries in series. It basically works on every type lead acid & gel battery with the exception of aviation batteries. It won't overcharge & you can leave it on for practically forever. Here's the Q&A: http://www.boatelectric.com/battery_minder_faq.html

I plan on reviving as many junk batteries from the scrapyard as I can. Hope his helps anyone saving money, going off the grid, or.. making extra money. I don't keep useful info to myself.

RJMercer 06-03-2012 10:53 PM

Could you share some details on the process of reviving an old battery with salt?

Axxe55 06-03-2012 11:05 PM

another suggestion on reviving a severely discharged battery is to use the lowest amp setting possible, 1-2 amps or even less and let it charge for at least 12-24 hours. if the battery can be revived, then slow charging is the key. and using the lowest setting and time is the best way.

Scratchammo 06-03-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJMercer (Post 823966)
Could you share some details on the process of reviving an old battery with salt?

I used this tutorial:

You can find Epsom salt in the pharmacy section. Hope his helps.

Scratchammo 06-04-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 823978)
another suggestion on reviving a severely discharged battery is to use the lowest amp setting possible, 1-2 amps or even less and let it charge for at least 12-24 hours. if the battery can be revived, then slow charging is the key. and using the lowest setting and time is the best way.

Yep, you're also correct.

Vikingdad 06-18-2012 06:09 AM

It is worth mentioning that you should maintain your batteries regularly. Keep the tops clean of dirt and acid and keep them topped off using only distilled water. Once the level gets below the tops of the plates that battery will quickly degrade from there.

Scratchammo 06-18-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 839973)
It is worth mentioning that you should maintain your batteries regularly. Keep the tops clean of dirt and acid and keep them topped off using only distilled water. Once the level gets below the tops of the plates that battery will quickly degrade from there.

Right you are.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.