Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Refrigeration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1813 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Vikingdad, I remember when we had a swamp cooler for the car. You hung it on the window when crossing the desert and you carried one of those water bags hung on the outside of the car.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2924 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 17348

Maybe I am the nut case I'm always made joke of , but consider NO REFRIGERATION..? Dehydrating , smoke and salt curing , pickling and canning.!

I know , I know , the pain , oh the pain , (HOT BEER) , Ack..!

Hmmmm..? Must a been a "Cro-magnon" in another life..?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8617 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

One set of my grandparents did not have ELECTRICITY until I was about 10 yrs old. They were able to raise 13 kids (yeah, that was not a typo) with no refrigeration. They DID have an icehouse, and would store ice in the winter- but it would not last until the following winter (sawdust makes GOOD insulation for blocks of ice)

COOLING will extend the safe usable life of foods- Milk, cream, butter were kept in the springhouse- at about 52 degrees. Not as good as a 37 degree fridge, but MUCH better than 80 degree air.

But for most foods- drying, salting, pickling, canning, sulfuring, smoking- or eat what is in season.

And yes- a lot of produce will store well in a root cellar- or even in a "hill" or "clutch"- for those that do not have root cellars. Shovel up a mound of dirt about a foot high, 5-8 ft across, lay down 6" of clean straw. Place well dried potatoes on straw, up to a foot thick, cover with more straw, and then a foot of dirt. Need potatoes? Dig in from side, reach in, take potatoes, reseal. Dry, no light and cool- ideal storage.

No refrigeration? Hmm- that means we have chicken tonight. And the remains go into the stew pot, and will simmer until time for Brunswick Stew tomorrow night.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Instead, dry & smoke all meat (soak to rehydrate), slice & sun dry fruits, corn, mushrooms, etc. Store potatoes, onions, root veggies in a cool place.
DANGO, so far only thing that I can fault u for is not reading preceeding posts!

I omitted canning 'cause in SHTF situations you could not get new sealing lids/ rings and again risk poisioning or at least, food loss! KISS !!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5485 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 4763

Quote:
DANGO, so far only thing that I can fault u for is not reading preceeding posts!

I omitted canning 'cause in SHTF situations you could not get new sealing lids/ rings and again risk poisioning or at least, food loss! KISS !!
In survival situations in Europe during WW2, food has been canned and the container sealed with melted beeswax.,

Not a perfect solution, bit it works.

Golda Meier.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2924 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 17348

Quote:

As when I was a child and ole crazy Dad was not around , you do not need Lids at all..! parafin...<---spell checker is killing me , Eeeek..! Ok Mr. Spell checker ,
(Wax) and can be used over and over again .! Air tight seal and recyclable .!

Yeap , we used to can (Taradacticles)...! man , I'm getting old..! Eeek.!

Ps:the only reason I even know this is that my mother and her sister , my Aunt Kay , would can every year , fruits , veggies , meats , all kinds of things..! The bees wax would be preferred but is a little more money..!
In 2005 , we had a local effort to do "hiving" , bee tending , with the intent of honey and wax . We tried for 4 years and every year , the bears would tear it up . A chronic problem and could not stop them.!
6 of us Jim , Al , Carl , Rick , brother Ron and myself . We had been
Beaten 4 years in a row..! The only way to stop them was to kill them , we decided to quit and let the bears win and live .
Now some people have been successful at this. Not too far from here , but not here , lots of black bears .!

Last edited by dango; 05-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8052 Times on 4647 Posts
Likes Given: 10393

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
As when I was a child and ole crazy Dad was not around , you do not need Lids at all..! parafin...<---spell checker is killing me , Eeeek..! Ok Mr. Spell checker ,
(Wax) and can be used over and over again .! Air tight seal and recyclable .!

Yeap , we used to can (Taradacticles)...! man , I'm getting old..! Eeek.!

Ps:the only reason I even know this is that my mother and her sister , my Aunt Kay , would can every year , fruits , veggies , meats , all kinds of things..! The bees wax would be preferred but is a little more money..!
In 2005 , we had a local effort to do "hiving" , bee tending , with the intent of honey and wax . We tried for 4 years and every year , the bears would tear it up . A chronic problem and could not stop them.!
6 of us Jim , Al , Carl , Rick , brother Ron and myself . We had been
Beaten 4 years in a row..! The only way to stop them was to kill them , we decided to quit and let the bears win and live .
Now some people have been successful at this. Not too far from here , but not here , lots of black bears .!
I have a friend up in norCal who has hives hives he keeps in a huge cage he made out of pipes and rollbar tubing attached to a shipping container. It keeps the bears out, but it took some investment of materials and effort.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #18

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I changed the frig in my RV over to a standard 120 volt that I run with batteries and solar panels.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8052 Times on 4647 Posts
Likes Given: 10393

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I changed the frig in my RV over to a standard 120 volt that I run with batteries and solar panels.
Wait, you changed it from a standard RV fridge that runs on 12 volts DC, 120 volts AC or propane? Those are the best ones to have because they are so flexible. You can also run those off of solar without an inverter.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #20

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Wait, you changed it from a standard RV fridge that runs on 12 volts DC, 120 volts AC or propane? Those are the best ones to have because they are so flexible. You can also run those off of solar without an inverter.
Yes. The one I removed was a three-way frig. If you have ever used a 3-way you would know that the 12 volt part is about worthless. And trying to run it on 120 volt thru an inverter is a very poor choice. Works fine with propane and 120 plugged to a regular electric line. I wanted a more self-sustaining option. The new 120 volt only frig works excellent and solar runs it very easy.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.