Refrigeration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Refrigeration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2356 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Default Refrigeration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNLPeb3qIhc

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

eatmydust Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3143 Times on 1815 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Amazing and beautiful in it's simplicity!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1492 Times on 975 Posts
Likes Given: 3223

I don't think it would work that well in high humidity, but should be great out west.

A spring is also good for refrigeration. I saw a spring house in Charleston from the early 1700's. The water flowed in the center of the room and then ran in a trough around the room and emptied on the other side. Pots would then be placed in the trough. Anything in the pots would be kept cool.

I also saw a small spring box while out in the woods metal detecting. It was about 3ft x 3ft and 2ft tall. The walls were rock and there was a rock slab covering the top of it. There was a 1ft x 1ft opening in the front. It was built right in the middle of a creek over a spring. The opening acted like a small damn and let water flow over it but it raised the water level inside. Things like milk and butter would have been stored in there. Along with a watermelon or two in the summer. I always wished I had taken a picture of that.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #4

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Default Pot in pot evaporative cooling

The video shows 55f inside the Empty pot in a moderate breeze, moderate humidity and 65f ambient. That is better than no cooling and a boon to arid, dirt poor Africans. The effect is similar to N. trappers placing perishables in burlap bags & setting them in any available water, or even an open hole in moss or muskeg.
In this country, if I were prepairing for "grid meltdown" my refrigeration would include the Peltier chip type coolers (Koolatron). Pull your car battery (no gas anyway) . When sizing your solar panels, allow for 4a (50w) extra load. My dad had made a windcharger in the 40's and in my early years I remember reading 8 amps on the gauge. I still have the prop for it & hope to recreate & report at a later date!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Folks in Colorado, Arizona, and similar DRY climates use a "Swamp Cooler" instead of an air condtioner- simple evaporative cooler. And when the humidity is 10%, works great! It is also the principle of a terra cotta water jug, or a canvas water bag. The African market is a desert region.

Does not work that good in the humid South- but yes, a spring house DOES wor. Not ice cold, but much cooler than the air.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #6

Default Refrigeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Folks in Colorado, Arizona, and similar DRY climates use a "Swamp Cooler" instead of an air condtioner- simple evaporative cooler. And when the humidity is 10%, works great! It is also the principle of a terra cotta water jug, or a canvas water bag. The African market is a desert region.

Does not work that good in the humid South- but yes, a spring house DOES wor. Not ice cold, but much cooler than the air.
Keeping on the thread subject "refrigeration", the swamp cooler does't really apply. My concern is that people used to a 38f fridge depending on evaporative cooling for refrigeration in an emergency situation may do more harm than good. You certainly don't want food poisoning

Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

This does work much, much more efficiently in arid climates. Here in California I can get a 25 degree drop in temperature out of the swamp cooler on a very dry day. But it does raise the humidity inside the house (which the wife doesn't like). Much, much cheaper than air conditioning.

Also, those fleece lined canteen covers, blanket covered canteens and those burlap covered water bags are designed around the principle of evaporative cooling. You must soak them thoroughly in water when filling them though. I can't tell you the number of people who thought I was crazy when I "spilled" water on my canteen covers while filling. "Heck", they would say, "now the canteen is going to get everything wet!"

A few hours later when my canteen water is cool as a cucumber and theirs is ready to make tea, they finally understood.

So, soak your canteen cover before going out!

canteenfleece.jpg   canteen.jpg   desert-water-bag.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #8

Default con't (finger hit send)

Instead, dry & smoke all meat (soak to rehydrate), slice & sun dry fruits, corn, mushrooms, etc. Store potatoes, onions, root veggies in a cool place.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #9

Default evaporative cooling... refrigeration?

Viking Dad, your wife is feeling the trade-named "clammy cool". Yes the swamp cooler does lower the air temp which is partly negated by the humidity short-circuiting your bodys' own cooling system! And your stated 25f drop still puts the temperature nowhere near safe REFRIGERATION temp for perishables. I stand by my original post, don't take the chance of poisioning the family!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk View Post
Viking Dad, your wife is feeling the trade-named "clammy cool". Yes the swamp cooler does lower the air temp which is partly negated by the humidity short-circuiting your bodys' own cooling system! And your stated 25f drop still puts the temperature nowhere near safe REFRIGERATION temp for perishables. I stand by my original post, don't take the chance of poisioning the family!
Okey dokey artichokey.

I wouldn't use these methods instead of refrigeration, because they aren't. But they are a great idea to utilize if refrigeration fails. Cooling food by any methods available will extend the amount of time you can safely store it, and this includes meat.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.