Recentley started prepping - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Recentley started prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1415 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 3033

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Umm... let me think... if you actually have to get to some specific place without all the latest and greatest technology then a map really does help. I guess if you follow major terrain features (roads, rivers, buildings, street signs) then a map may not be a necessity. I find maps to be helpful land navigation aids for those areas that you're not so familiar with, but YMMV.

I guess if you were just heading out on your own to no specific place then just wandering off in a given direction is fine.

If I wanted to meet up with a group of like-minded people at a particular location, then I want a road map, a topographical map, a lensatic compass with tritium, a grease pencil, a ruler, a military type round protractor, a small LED keychain type flashlight, and a GPS unit if I have batteries.
I think the trick is having a particular place to go? Most of us are aware that we need multiple bug out locations, but most of us are limited in how far we can reasonable consider a place to go. It wouldn't do me much good to try and pick out a place in Alaska since I know absolutely nothing about Alaska. Not to mention I'm probably not going to get there without a very good sea worthy boat, and that would be a long trip.

With all that said, I think the trick is going to be figuring out how to get information so that you can determine a place to go. If you figure out where to go then I could see a map coming in handy. (just thinking out load here)

Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #72

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

IF I were rich, I'd buy a mountain top, and stock it for the end of days. Now THAT would be easily defendable, and worth leaving for.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #73

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
...If you bought a cheap compass for $8 from Walmart than you are on your own when this country is on fire.
I did buy this ball compass from EMS but after hours I realized that it was pointless to keep trying to turn it on it's side for elevation -- very frustrating. Right -- I bought this other from Walmart but it was only $7.00.

Am I still on my own with, and does an $8 compass work better than, a $7 one? I ask because the two compasses below are pointing in the same, exact, direction. But just in case pricey magnetic-North is more accurate than cheap, where can I get an expensive tactical compass and instantly become an expert land-navigator too -- preferably in Zombie Green!?

Although "when this country is on fire" I suppose I'll want my HockaLouis fire-extinguisher...
compass-ball.jpg   compass-7-dollars-walmart.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #74
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7678 Times on 4172 Posts
Likes Given: 16096

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

Am I still on my own?
You're welcome to eat with me. I make a really mean stone soup if you have something to contribute.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #75

Thanks. I have a spare apparently useless 'cause-it-cost-less-than-$8 compass I could toss in the pot! And people keep telling me I should dip a toe in...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #76

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

All a compass is, a magnetized needle. I'm sure y'all know that...

Lensatic, with the fancy adjustable Bezel, sights... they're great to narrow down your position to the most precise location, or if you're doing land nav courses and need to find a 5.56 ammo can in the boonies (that's what we used for target locations)

Anything that reliably points North will help keep you from walking AWAY from your destination in lower visibility.

By the way, I've seen those little ball compasses in private planes as a "quick glance reference" in conjunction with the more precise equipment.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #77
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7678 Times on 4172 Posts
Likes Given: 16096

I have seen people make a compass by rubbing wire on silk and either hanging or floating it. Survival is about resourcefulness more than anything.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #78

Hey, HEY! The country is headed towards confligration delicto and you are talking sexual inuendo and resourcefulness!? Survival is about buying overpriced tactical gear from surplus Israeli Kevlar helmets to rough-outside S&W Operator boots. Knowing you can't make it without something called paracord. Flourescent green radioactive Zombie threads. Posting like a cross between Pirate Rambo and an internet parrot -- "yo, I'm squawk comin' fer u wit deadly birdshot, arrggghhhh."

Get serious man!

rambo-pirate.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-10-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #79

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I have seen people make a compass by rubbing wire on silk and either hanging or floating it. Survival is about resourcefulness more than anything.
I experimented with this. Floating worked better, by a large margin. But water can sometimes be very hard to find. If it has to be hung, I would suggest only the very finest silk thread you could get your hands on, and none of that twisted (worsted) stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Hey, HEY! The country is headed towards confligration delicto and you are talking sexual inuendo and resourcefulness!? Survival is about buying overpriced tactical gear from surplus Israeli Kevlar helmets to rough-outside S&W Operator boots. Florescent green radioactive Zombie threads. Posting like a cross between Pirate Rambo and an internet parrot -- "yo, I'm comin' fer u wit deadly birdshot, arrggghhhh."

Get serious man!
Reading this post, seeing the pic... I laughed too hard. Now I must go change...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #80

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
But water can sometimes be very hard to find.
Huh? Only if you obeyed Bear Grilis, and handed over the piss, so he wouldn't hurt you.