Recentley started prepping - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Recentley started prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1973 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 4470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
You are WRONG! LOL! Most preppers haven't opened a compass nor own any topo maps (You can also pick them up at the Forestry Service Ranger Stations.). It all falls under "Things I'll learn later" and don't realize the internet will be down, there will be no downloads, the stores won't have a map in sight, and the book bought to learn navigation from is lost. The only prepper that I have talked to that thought had this covered - he had a http://www.earthtechproducts.com/voltaic-systems-off-grid-solar-back-pack.html backpack with a solar panel built in that could charge his GPS! My question was, "What happens in a downpour or falling when fording a river? Is the GPS waterPROOF for at least 30 minutes at 35' deep?" The look on his face told me the rest.

This is one of those skills that is fun to learn and especially in groups. There are many trainers http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/survival-training-courses/ that include it in a skillset called "Wilderness Survival" that also teaches snaring, edible plant identification for your area, fire building and many other needed skills. For half the cost of a black rifle, you spend a weekend with a handful of people and actually DO what you've been putting off until "One of these days."

Also, I would say most preppers have not carried their BOB for even 12 hours. And here's more reality: you may have to carry it for 24 hours or more if there is no safe place to bed down. This isn't going to be camping at the specified campground - this is going to be finding a spot to catnap where you won't be seen, because as soon as an unprepared person sees you have food and supplies, he's gonna bash your head in and steal your preps...and that's your neighbor's 11-year-old daughter. Did anyone figure out how to handle the children trying to kill them for food because they are orphaned and have no idea what to do?

You need escape & evasion training, trauma medicine, plant identification and all the wilderness skills just to survive the first three weeks. Most haven't put themselves in the most likely situation and run through it even once, much less the worst case scenario!

Many preppers think that stuff will insure their survival. The more you learn, the more you know when it happens, the more survivable you will be. Have the right tool for the right job, definitely! But also know how to do it with a paper clip, mothball and duct tape, McGuyver-style!
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm having trouble figuring out how a map would be very useful? I know their value for some things like metal detecting! I have a very good collection of maps for my area including many historical maps. I also know how to navigate with a compass, and have actually done it. Regionally I'm good to go just from knowing the rivers and most of the counties. Traveling nationally I would be in trouble, but I have a hard time picturing myself traveling nationally if SHTF. If it came to that I always figured it would be more of a head west type thing rather than to specific location? Please let me know if I'm wrong here.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #62
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm having trouble figuring out how a map would be very useful? I know their value for some things like metal detecting! I have a very good collection of maps for my area including many historical maps. I also know how to navigate with a compass, and have actually done it. Regionally I'm good to go just from knowing the rivers and most of the counties. Traveling nationally I would be in trouble, but I have a hard time picturing myself traveling nationally if SHTF. If it came to that I always figured it would be more of a head west type thing rather than to specific location? Please let me know if I'm wrong here.
No way to take an intelligent question the wrong way! And for someone like you that has an intimate knowledge of his surrounding counties the confusion is understandable.

My best answer is that most people "know" their surrounding area by driving through it on their way to something else. When SHTF, we may be reduced to other means of transportation and routes of which we were previously not aware. Highways or roads may be blocked, wiped out, patrolled by military or pirates or in other ways unsafe. With a map, you have options. You can find a bike trail or safe route for a horse.

I doubt that during SHTF that many people will relocate, but will stay within 30 miles of home, as moving will cause them and their family to be susceptible to danger. But as a situation drags on, people may wish to find overland alternatives to move. Even if a farther migratory move were to happen, general national maps would aid in proper navigation that would save wasted time, movement and a waste of resources.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #63
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1370 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Umm... let me think... if you actually have to get to some specific place without all the latest and greatest technology then a map really does help. I guess if you follow major terrain features (roads, rivers, buildings, street signs) then a map may not be a necessity. I find maps to be helpful land navigation aids for those areas that you're not so familiar with, but YMMV.

I guess if you were just heading out on your own to no specific place then just wandering off in a given direction is fine.

If I wanted to meet up with a group of like-minded people at a particular location, then I want a road map, a topographical map, a lensatic compass with tritium, a grease pencil, a ruler, a military type round protractor, a small LED keychain type flashlight, and a GPS unit if I have batteries.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #64

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Tekgreg, regarding maps. I see how they would be useful. Even for someone like me, who has acknowledged he's not going anywhere. My question is: Assuming you're staying home, how far out from your house might you want to have topo maps? I know they're not super cheap, and who knows how far you may have to go temporarily, like for business, or foraging, ect.?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #65
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Tekgreg, regarding maps. I see how they would be useful. Even for someone like me, who has acknowledged he's not going anywhere. My question is: Assuming you're staying home, how far out from your house might you want to have topo maps? I know they're not super cheap, and who knows how far you may have to go temporarily, like for business, or foraging, ect.?
We used to get topo maps for our county, then any hunting area we might likely be in if it was in another county or state. We didn't have them for everything in-between. Our rational was that you can generally dead reckon across some areas with a general road map, but if it's an area you will wander, hunt, gather or escape across, then you could likely get lost and a topo map is necessary to nail down your exact position, find shelter or water.and do it all quickly.

So the exact answer would be it depends on the person, but does that help you evaluate your need?.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #66

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

If you turn a compass sideways will it tell you magnetic-elevation?
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #67

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

Are you asking if you turn a compass on it's side if it will tell you how high you are?

If you're trying to use your compass sideways, I think it's obvious just how high you are!!
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #68

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
So the exact answer would be it depends on the person, but does that help you evaluate your need?.
Yes and no. Obviously several topo maps for the local towns is in order. As far as anywhere else, I plan to stay here, but I suppose the issue is I don't know where I might have the need to travel to temporarily........

Old 05-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #69

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Are you asking if you turn a compass on it's side if it will tell you how high you are?

If you're trying to use your compass sideways, I think it's obvious just how high you are!!
That's silly. Everyone knows how high they are. But we need to know how high we'll be. I tilt the compass 90-degress but the needle keeps pointing to my motor no matter how carefully I aim it. It's hard to get a bearing...

Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #70

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Seriously? Get off the thread if you just want to troll. If you bought a cheap compass for $8 from Walmart than you are on your own when this country is on fire.