Recentley started prepping - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Recentley started prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
So a girl posting after you is considered safe then?
some people try and tell others they have someone on ignore when they truly don't. some of us here call them trolls! they have nothing to add to the discussion other than smart remarks and resort to insults when threatened with with an opposing viewpoint they are unable to debate against. happens quite a lot here on the forum. most have learned what the report button is for!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #52
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 888 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Here us another suggestion. Get your self a sling shot. Buy steel bearing on ebay from china cheap. add turkey feather ring and you can shoot arrows with it. The turkey feather ring flips up and down. You can take game and fish with it. I carry one fiberglass fishing arrow and five hunting arrows. I have a bag of 500 5/15 ball bearings. Great back up system.

img_0157_resized.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This 
Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #53
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Here us another suggestion. Get your self a sling shot. Buy steel bearing on ebay from china cheap. add turkey feather ring and you can shoot arrows with it. The turkey feather ring flips up and down. You can take game and fish with it. I carry one fiberglass fishing arrow and five hunting arrows. I have a bag of 500 5/15 ball bearings. Great back up system.

Attachment 99740
if a person learns how to shoot one of those accurately, they can take small game quite well and silently.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #54
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
I don't see a single event as the SHTF scenario, I believe it may be a series of challenges that continually weakens our society and supply abilities.

Here is my list with no ranking for probability:
1) EMP
2) Pandemic
3) Natural disaster
4) Conflict with China
5) Regional electric grid disruption
6) Financial meltdown
7) Internet hack
8) Meteor strike............................................ .......
A Fire Sale - so named because "Everything Must Go!" Two, three or more of these go off in series, one triggering the other, such as:

Natural Disaster comes, but is unusually large, taking longer to recover, poor sanitary conditions start pandemic, and the two together trigger panic, a run on the banks and a financial meltdown. Russia and China would probably choose that moment to try to crack our financial computers and gain some financing. According to the State Department, this type of cascade is a very real possibility.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

eatmydust Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
A Fire Sale - so named because "Everything Must Go!" Two, three or more of these go off in series, one triggering the other, such as:

Natural Disaster comes, but is unusually large, taking longer to recover, poor sanitary conditions start pandemic, and the two together trigger panic, a run on the banks and a financial meltdown. Russia and China would probably choose that moment to try to crack our financial computers and gain some financing. According to the State Department, this type of cascade is a very real possibility.
Jesus Christ. It's a fire sale.

It's a three-step... it's a three-step systematic attack on the entire national infrastructure. Okay, step one: take out all the transportation. Step two: the financial base and telecoms. Step three: You get rid of all the utilities. Gas, water, electric, nuclear. Pretty much anything that's run by computers which... which today is almost everything. So that's why they call it a fire sale, because everything must go.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #56
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Jesus Christ. It's a fire sale.

It's a three-step... it's a three-step systematic attack on the entire national infrastructure. Okay, step one: take out all the transportation. Step two: the financial base and telecoms. Step three: You get rid of all the utilities. Gas, water, electric, nuclear. Pretty much anything that's run by computers which... which today is almost everything. So that's why they call it a fire sale, because everything must go.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Very good memory, Kbd! :-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #57

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Yeah like the last die hard. Bruce we love you babe but your ****ing old. Dont even start me on Sylvester and Rambo.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Yeah like the last die hard. Bruce we love you babe but your ****ing old. Dont even start me on Sylvester and Rambo.
Bruce is getting up there in years but have you seen RED?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

I don't know if it's already been said or not, but one of the things I find most people don't have are topo maps of their area, along with current road maps. It's kinda surprising because the road maps are available at the gas stations and you can download and print very detailed topo maps for free or pay a small fee for nice laminated copies. A quality compass and grease pencil isn't hard to get, either, but like gas lanterns they seem to have fallen out of favor with the consuming public.

Anybody else run triangle compass courses at night or other land navigation exercises? Go out Friday night for camping and then on Saturday night after having nothing to eat for 24 hours or so, carry all the crap you think you're going to carry with you, and create a waypoint list or run a few triangle compass courses. Your first hike should only be about 5 miles or so. It won't kill you, even if you're a little out of shape, and 5 miles is probably about as far as you'd realistically walk to get out of a disaster area (camping and combat not withstanding). It's not great fun, but you start to come to reality with what you can realistically take with you, how far you can go, what pace you can maintain, and what weight you're willing to put up with. You'll find your pack getting lighter and lighter with each trip or you'll get really strong.

I like GPS, along with all the other trappings of modern technology, but when the lights go out it's all pretty useless as other posters have noted.

I assume other preppers already have this wired shut, but I thought I'd point it out for people who are starting out.

Having several driving and walking routes out of your area is a good idea, not for "bugging out" but for escaping natural disasters (that would be flooding around here, but it might be fire in a place like California).

Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #60
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
I don't know if it's already been said or not,

[snip]
You are WRONG! LOL! Most preppers haven't opened a compass nor own any topo maps (You can also pick them up at the Forestry Service Ranger Stations.). It all falls under "Things I'll learn later" and don't realize the internet will be down, there will be no downloads, the stores won't have a map in sight, and the book bought to learn navigation from is lost. The only prepper that I have talked to that thought had this covered - he had a http://www.earthtechproducts.com/voltaic-systems-off-grid-solar-back-pack.html backpack with a solar panel built in that could charge his GPS! My question was, "What happens in a downpour or falling when fording a river? Is the GPS waterPROOF for at least 30 minutes at 35' deep?" The look on his face told me the rest.

This is one of those skills that is fun to learn and especially in groups. There are many trainers http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/survival-training-courses/ that include it in a skillset called "Wilderness Survival" that also teaches snaring, edible plant identification for your area, fire building and many other needed skills. For half the cost of a black rifle, you spend a weekend with a handful of people and actually DO what you've been putting off until "One of these days."

Also, I would say most preppers have not carried their BOB for even 12 hours. And here's more reality: you may have to carry it for 24 hours or more if there is no safe place to bed down. This isn't going to be camping at the specified campground - this is going to be finding a spot to catnap where you won't be seen, because as soon as an unprepared person sees you have food and supplies, he's gonna bash your head in and steal your preps...and that's your neighbor's 11-year-old daughter. Did anyone figure out how to handle the children trying to kill them for food because they are orphaned and have no idea what to do?

You need escape & evasion training, trauma medicine, plant identification and all the wilderness skills just to survive the first three weeks. Most haven't put themselves in the most likely situation and run through it even once, much less the worst case scenario!

Many preppers think that stuff will insure their survival. The more you learn, the more you know when it happens, the more survivable you will be. Have the right tool for the right job, definitely! But also know how to do it with a paper clip, mothball and duct tape, McGuyver-style!