Recentley started prepping - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Recentley started prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2226 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 5168

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Oh, sure, as of now, hunting is a good way to go. Personally, I don't hunt, but that a personal choice.
Here in the NE, the game populations are coming back, too. I'm 39, and not until I was an adult, did I start to see any animals. Deer, turkey, moose. Some of these not until I was in my 30's. And we're in a fairly rural area, plus, I was in the woods a fair amount with the Boy Scouts.

One of the reasons I've heard is that the game populations were hurt by the DDT and crap they used to use. Something about it making bird eggs too fragile, and they'd break. Now that a lot of that stuff is gone, everyones doing better......
We're the same age and have saw the same thing, the game populations just rebounded earlier here. We had deer in the southern part of my county when I was very young but none in the northern part. I started deer hunting early on with my Dad but it was a 30 or 40 minute drive to go somewhere where there were deer. The deer and turkey slowly spreed and by my 20's they were everywhere. Before my teens it was an event when someone killed a deer. In my teens hunting changed from "hunting" to "shooting" because you were probably going to actually see something then.

It puzzled for me a long time when I was young as to why very few older people deer hunted, or even had a deer rifle. That's when I learned there were no deer when they were young. But most of them had a shotgun and they loved bird dogs, and that's because they loved quail hunting which was rapidly declining when I was little. By my teens almost no one quail hunted and very few had a bird dog anymore, but many older folks still get a gleam in their eye when someone mentions quail.

I've always considered my self very fortunate to have been able to grow up in a rural area in the 70's and early 80's. I was born soon enough to experience how things had been done for generations like making molasses from sugarcane or using the outhouse. But I also got to experience the arrival of all the new technology and the huge increase in the standard of living that occurred here in the 80's.

I saw a show once that mentioned a disease called "black leg" that had really devastated the deer populations for much of the country in the late 1800's. Hunting finished off the rest.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #32

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

It's hard to say that all the game would be hunted out in a week. How many people are still around? There are too many variables to the open ended scenario (end of the world) to say for sure. Unless you are one of those guys on doomsday preppers who have figured out exactly what is going to happen to cause this.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #33

Liked 3633 Times on 2072 Posts
Likes Given: 2526

For any one of us to believe that we know what the future will bring is unwise. The reasons that we "prep" whether it be for a SHTF scenario or for a comfortable retirement, is that we are doing what we can to swing the odds in our favor.

We cannot control or foresee the future, but we can influence some of the variables. Game populations will be decimated in some areas and in some areas they will thrive. In a truly TEOTWAWKI, some people would become agrarian and some would become nomadic hunter gatherers.

I think the only thing we can be certain of in the event of an apocolypse is that human populations will be decimated.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #34
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust

I think the only thing we can be certain of in the event of an apocolypse is that human populations will be decimated.
I believe it was a state department study done in the '60s when EMP Became a reality that if Americans were denied electricity for three months, 70-90% of all the population would be wiped out.

Prepping is a process of anticipating needs and a rational way of meeting them. I started prepping by being able to survive Hurricane Katrina. Two weeks food and water, plywood for the first day of the storm to board up the house, and then ways to treat most medium and minor wounds and maintain sanitary conditions without leaving the property. Even after shows like Preppers, MOST Americans cannot survive three days at home without water from the tap, food from the store and a buttload of electricity. However, most people cannot drop $20,000 on years of MREs, an arsenal with thousands of rounds of ammo and tons of survival supplies. There are reasonable, inventive ways of being ready when it happens without upsetting your life and draining your savings.

As stated above, I "prepped" for a two week storm. A couple hundred dollars at the grocery store, a few things I was short on and reorganizing my storage area is all that is required. The Mormon Church, who are all living preppers, suggest buying 10% more at the store EVERY time you go shopping on storable foods, not $3,000 on vacuum-packed, freeze-dried food. So you have ~$100 in the cart, swing down any aisle with cans and get condensed soup, evaporated milk or Dinty Moore stew in the amount of ~$10. Bags of flour, sugar and cornmeal store nicely in Rubbermaid containers. The extra food gets STORED (this is not for binging, restocking your pantry or Friday Night football) and you simply do this until you have a three month supply. Obviously, that's your first goal, but feel free to carry it out as far as you wish.

On things other than food, attend yard sales, look for things a piece at a time. I started asking myself every day, with every item I touched, "What if this broke in SHTF mode?" One day, that exercise led me to the realization that I had a pantry full of cans and one - count it, only one - can opener! A few yard sales and $4 later, I had four. This attitude of living a "Prepper Lifestyle" is far easier than deciding one day you need a fully-stocked bunker...NOW!

And finally, the thing that kills all men's egos: Admit you don't know every damn thing and get educated! Once a month, do something to expand your knowledge. Go to a nursery (NOT Home Depot) and find out what grows in your area and what to watch out for, then plant a small garden. Take a beekeeping class. Find a person that hunts better than you (YES, it is possible!) and ask for tips. During America's Great Depression, animals were almost hunted to extinction - you are going to have to be great at some point to bring down any animal. Learn to ride a motorcycle. Take a soap and candle-making class. Take a survival class. In one year, you will have twelve SHTF/EOTWAWKI skills that can also save and/or MAKE you money...EVEN IF NOTHING HAPPENS!

This is how our grandparents lived. It's called self-reliance, doing your best and making something out of nothing. It's a belief in self. It's an investment in family. And it is far, far better than what we have been reduced to in"modern" America with our reliance on everyone BUT ourselves.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
eatmydust Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #35

I use wise food storage a lot. I used to buy the one week packages every payday. Now ever few months I order one of the larger buckets. If nothing happens in the next 25 years I'm gonna have a thanksgiving feast with freeze dried food.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #36

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

I believe it was a state department study done in the '60s when EMP Became a reality that if Americans were denied electricity for three months, 70-90% of all the population would be wiped out.

Prepping is a process of anticipating needs and a rational way of meeting them. I started prepping by being able to survive Hurricane Katrina. Two weeks food and water, plywood for the first day of the storm to board up the house, and then ways to treat most medium and minor wounds and maintain sanitary conditions without leaving the property. Even after shows like Preppers, MOST Americans cannot survive three days at home without water from the tap, food from the store and a buttload of electricity. However, most people cannot drop $20,000 on years of MREs, an arsenal with thousands of rounds of ammo and tons of survival supplies. There are reasonable, inventive ways of being ready when it happens without upsetting your life and draining your savings.

As stated above, I "prepped" for a two week storm. A couple hundred dollars at the grocery store, a few things I was short on and reorganizing my storage area is all that is required. The Mormon Church, who are all living preppers, suggest buying 10% more at the store EVERY time you go shopping on storable foods, not $3,000 on vacuum-packed, freeze-dried food. So you have ~$100 in the cart, swing down any aisle with cans and get condensed soup, evaporated milk or Dinty Moore stew in the amount of ~$10. Bags of flour, sugar and cornmeal store nicely in Rubbermaid containers. The extra food gets STORED (this is not for binging, restocking your pantry or Friday Night football) and you simply do this until you have a three month supply. Obviously, that's your first goal, but feel free to carry it out as far as you wish.

On things other than food, attend yard sales, look for things a piece at a time. I started asking myself every day, with every item I touched, "What if this broke in SHTF mode?" One day, that exercise led me to the realization that I had a pantry full of cans and one - count it, only one - can opener! A few yard sales and $4 later, I had four. This attitude of living a "Prepper Lifestyle" is far easier than deciding one day you need a fully-stocked bunker...NOW!

And finally, the thing that kills all men's egos: Admit you don't know every damn thing and get educated! Once a month, do something to expand your knowledge. Go to a nursery (NOT Home Depot) and find out what grows in your area and what to watch out for, then plant a small garden. Take a beekeeping class. Find a person that hunts better than you (YES, it is possible!) and ask for tips. During America's Great Depression, animals were almost hunted to extinction - you are going to have to be great at some point to bring down any animal. Learn to ride a motorcycle. Take a soap and candle-making class. Take a survival class. In one year, you will have twelve SHTF/EOTWAWKI skills that can also save and/or MAKE you money...EVEN IF NOTHING HAPPENS!

This is how our grandparents lived. It's called self-reliance, doing your best and making something out of nothing. It's a belief in self. It's an investment in family. And it is far, far better than what we have been reduced to in"modern" America with our reliance on everyone BUT ourselves.
I couldn't have said it better.
I never thought about it, but I guess it's the prepper in me that constantly tries to learn new things.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1095 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 362

I had never heard of prepping until watching American preppers .My first reaction was a bunch of head cases then again maybe they will have the last laugh. My prepping making sure I have enough cigarettes.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I had never heard of prepping until watching American preppers .My first reaction was a bunch of head cases then again maybe they will have the last laugh. My prepping making sure I have enough cigarettes.
have you ever added anything constructive to any thread you have posted on?
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1095 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
have you ever added anything constructive to any thread you have posted on
I thought maybe they would have the last laugh was constructive. As for prepping others seem to have it covered. Maybe its just me I will worry when or if something happens I have plenty of other things to concern myself with in the here and now. I have watched some prepers their lives revolve around preparing for something that might never happen. Like any interest there is sensible and there is obsessive. PS I keep a first aid kit in my van.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #40

Here's a question for all you preppers. What do you think is the most likely shtf scenario? I'd lean toward financial collapse with the way the countries been running for the last few years.