Recentley started prepping - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Recentley started prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1100 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Paper money will be useless. Silver, gold, anything real you can barter with. Silver dollars are to large, unless buying a big ticket item like a gun or a car. Silver dimes are better than silver dollars. In a depression, people do not make change. A loaf of bread is likely to be a silver dime or a silver dollar. It is also likely to be a hundred dollar bill, as no one will want paper money based on nothing of value except the good faith and credit of the fed. Lol

Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

AR10 hit on a great subject. After the dust settles, even a little, people will be wanting and/or needing to trade for goods. Paper money may be worthless, one thing that has real value and long shelflife is ammo, especially the most popular calibers.

If you think ammo is pricey today, we haven't seen anything compared to a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1330 Times on 868 Posts
Likes Given: 2796

Personally, I try to focus on being more self sufficient. So for me prepping isn't about buying things so much as being able to get by without buying things. Plant a garden and store your veggies and you won't have to buy any veggies. Go hunting and kill a few deer, turkeys, and various other critters and that takes care of the meats. With those two things you just eliminated your need to buy any meats or veggies. You are eating healthier, you are no longer dependent upon an international supply chain, you will learn a lot during this process, and you will save some serious money. Now apply that to everything you spend money on. How can you produce your own hot water without having to use electricity? How can you provide your own heat, and a tip to go with that one is start by really insulating your home so that you don't need much heat to start with. How can you provide your own water? And the list goes on.

I'm not saying to go primitive and just eliminate all modern conveniences like electricity. I'm just saying to think about how to become less dependent on everything we take for granted. How can you use less electricity, and what would you do without any electricity? At the same time I place a lot of emphasis on saving money and being financially prepared as well. Being self sufficient and not having to buy things, or as many things, goes hand and hand with saving money. Now I'm killing two birds with one stone so to speak. Actually I'm killing a lot of birds with one stone. My version of prepping eliminates bills. Eliminating bills allows you to save money. Save a little money and now you've eliminated all the financial stress that so many experience. Plus I'm getting the satisfaction of being able to do things myself. I'm also preparing for financial disaster as well as any another disaster, and I'm improving my quality of living in the process. It doesn't get any better than that!

Last edited by TLuker; 05-04-2013 at 03:20 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #24

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Gizord1- I recommend getting Lasik surgery to fix your eyes. My wife and I and son all had our eyes fixed. I highly recommend it, as a prep and for every day.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #25

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Gizord1- I recommend getting Lasik surgery to fix your eyes. My wife and I and son all had our eyes fixed. I highly recommend it, as a prep and for every day.
I plan to have it done in college. I wanna have it done before I join the military.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #26

Liked 1045 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 683

I am surprised that everyone still considers hunting a good way to go. It will be for a couple months, but what happens when everyone who has a gun is out shooting every animal they can find? No more animals, and quick.

Now you'll still need the gun, though. To kill them, yes, but more importantly, to defend them. The ones you're raising for food. If you have enough to breed, to make new ones to eat, you don't have to hunt.......

Old 05-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6023 Times on 3410 Posts
Likes Given: 5633

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I am surprised that everyone still considers hunting a good way to go. It will be for a couple months, but what happens when everyone who has a gun is out shooting every animal they can find? No more animals, and quick.

No one wants to admit it, but that's true. Game will be gone within a week.

Rustling cattle will be a bad idea too. The ranchers will have them in well guarded areas. And they're a tight knit bunch. Ya don't want to try to take on the Stock grower's Association.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #28

Yeah, you think that quick? A week? Either way, not long.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1330 Times on 868 Posts
Likes Given: 2796

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

Now you'll still need the gun, though. To kill them, yes, but more importantly, to defend them. The ones you're raising for food. If you have enough to breed, to make new ones to eat, you don't have to hunt.......
Hunting is a good way to go right now at least in my area due to the large amount of game. It could also be a good way to go in the future but it would depend on the circumstances. I do agree completely that if everyone heads to the woods that game will be gone very quick. There were no deer or turkey in my area (or in most of the Southeast) when my grandpa was young. There were very few when I was young. Disease and over hunting had wiped them out, and there was a much smaller human population then to wipe them out.

Quail hunting became very popular and was popular into the early 70's. Since then the quail have all but disappeared because all of the small farms that made great habitat for them have disappeared. Deer and turkey have done well but the coyotes are starting to put a dent in their population. Hunting is what native Americans and early settlers did and game is still here. That makes hunting seem to be an eternal thing that people have always done and will always be an option to provide meet, but it's not. Times change along with habitat and game populations.

I highly recommend hunting for prepping. For the moment hunting is a very cost effective means of providing meat, and "might" be in the future. I recommend many take advantage of this resource if you live in area were it is cost effective, but as clr8ter pointed out be ready to do something different in the future if circumstances change. But that's ultimately what life and prepping are about. Life is all about change and prepping is an attempt to be prepared for that change.

When my grandpa was young, and all the big game was gone, everyone relied on farming and raising animals to make a living. That farming is what created the habitat for the quail to do so well, and that in turn provided new game to hunt. One door closed but that opened another door.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #30

Oh, sure, as of now, hunting is a good way to go. Personally, I don't hunt, but that a personal choice.
Here in the NE, the game populations are coming back, too. I'm 39, and not until I was an adult, did I start to see any animals. Deer, turkey, moose. Some of these not until I was in my 30's. And we're in a fairly rural area, plus, I was in the woods a fair amount with the Boy Scouts.

One of the reasons I've heard is that the game populations were hurt by the DDT and crap they used to use. Something about it making bird eggs too fragile, and they'd break. Now that a lot of that stuff is gone, everyones doing better......