Recentley started prepping - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Recentley started prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5686 Times on 3213 Posts
Likes Given: 5076

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Yes good points I need to get other people In on it. Problem is most of my friends just think I'm crazy lol.

My friends and neighbors thought I was paranoid too. 20 years ago. Today, they're not quite so certain.

We're not prepping for TEOTWAWKI, but for 2-3 weeks of trouble caused by a series of major terrorist attacks, a long trucking and/or rail strike, natural disaster, etc.

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #12

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Who's "we" pale face.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Who's "we" pale face.
people who are actually making some preparations rather tham make silly comment about others.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I'm not sure what you're preparing for, but the things I worry about are as follows:

1. Fire - The power company learned nothing from Ike. Every good storm we and all I have to do is look out my window and you'll get a good light show for a few seconds until the power dies because the power company never bothers to trim the trees until someone complains about it. This happens regularly.

2. Flooding - We're at one of the highest points in Houston and a good hard rain can put enough water in the street to make it impassable for smaller vehicles and lower-lying areas almost always flood.

3. Civil Disturbance - Hurricane Ike was a disaster barely contained by HPD. Street criminals are a small problem here. We don't live in a "bad" neighborhood, we just live right next to the "bad" neighborhood (which really means the next block over).

4. Shortages of supplies, especially food and water, due to natural disaster and civil disturbances. Good luck finding batteries or water.

After you live for a couple months in the Texas summer without air conditioning, the heat doesn't bother you as much but it's still not pleasant. Everything we have in the refrigerator is basically trash after a good storm or hurricane, not that we get too many hurricanes.

My primary concerns, in order of importance, are as follows:

Water - Drinking water only (5 gallon jugs); you can be dirty or take bird baths like we did after the hurricane. Sleeping on a bed was too hot and a little nasty, so we all slept on the floor like the dog except for my daughter who was an infant at the time.

Food - We mostly have canned foods, cereals, grains, and things that you can cook on the porch with a Coleman if need be. Thankfully Ike didn't kill the natural gas, but it was too hot to cook in the house.

Sanitation - I have a wife and young children, so toilet paper, feminine products, and a porta-potty and small shovel (back yard works just fine for the dog and it'll do for you, too).

Medical Supplies - Bandages, tape, shears, alcohol/iodine/hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, benadryl, acetaminophen, loperamide, antacids

Protection of Persons and Property - All you really need for normal situations is a good 9MM handgun, but civil disturbances are another matter entirely.

Utilities - Electricity can be dangerous, extra fuses, electrically non-conductive gloves, and a voltage meter are a good idea. Know where your water cut-off is and have a wrench to shut it off. Having water from the tap was not a problem after the storm- there wasn't any because the pumping stations died. After a week or so, the water pressure gradually came back.

Having quality flashlights and a lantern really helped at night.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

good points KBD.

generator is always a good option for short term situations. they can keep your fridge going to prevent spoiled food and provide some lighting and small fans to remain somewhat comfortable.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #16

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I recently realized as much prepped gear as I own (too much, is that possible?), I am missing a vital basic. I wear contacts, but how will you get contacts in a survival/disaster situation? You won't, you'll need a backup pair of glasses. Which I don't have...

Well, I have a pair, but my doctor (incorrectly) says they are the same prescription as my contacts. Which they aren't. I feel drunk with them on!

So, you need to think of the basics, first. Get prescriptions, a LOT of food (maybe a natural source, too. I have a pond and a garden), water, maybe a water filtration system, a backup power source, toilet paper, tooth paste, medical supplies (you can never have too much), durable clothing for every season, basic tools, LOTS of soap, a radio (preferably one with a weather station/EBS), fuel or all your vehicles and appliances (IMO, diesel engines are good for prepping. They can run on practically anything that burns. Look into it.), kitchen and cooking supplies, a bicycle, stationary, lubricant for appliances and mechanical equipment, etc.

Pretty much extra of everything you use on a daily basis.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1077 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Notes on dealing the aftermath:

1. Have a hundred dollars or so in small bills and change because the stores won't have power or, even when they have power, internet connections to accept credit cards. If you have supplies, don't go out because you ran out of your favorite beer.

2. If you are short of supplies (food,water,medical supplies, or batteries in our case), after the authorities permit you to leave your home, get what you need fast. Avoid stores where people are fighting over goods; even if you really need it it's not worth getting injured over.

3. Even hospitals will shut down without power and running water, although they do have generators and are somewhat prepared for short-term natural disasters. Again, avoid getting injured. On that note, avoid going out or working after dark, curfew or no curfew, to avoid being injured.

4. Leaving after a major disaster is not an option. If you're going to leave, then leave well ahead of a disaster if prior warning is available and make sure your vehicle is GTG for a potentially extended drive (spare tire and tools to change a tire, extra gas, maps, and perhaps a spare battery if your battery is questionable). Your water, food, medical kit, sanitation items, and firearms do you no good if you leave them at home. There are only three major routes out of Houston. Know the back roads or expect to go nowhere fast.

5. If the authorities tell you to shelter in place, then you're most likely safe exactly where you are. The biggest problem in getting out of Houston was people leaving who didn't need to and/or weren't prepared to actually leave.

6. Having tools and men to clear roads is important. I dragged just about every limb and tree out of the street up and down the block. Everyone stood around and watched me until finally a neighbor a few houses down ran out and helped me drag the last tree out of the street. Don't expect anyone to help, but do get to know your neighbors so you can potentially get some help with clean up. Ambulances and fire trucks couldn't pass our street on either side of the median because of the number of limbs and trees in the street, which is why I removed them post-haste.

I learned the hard way that while hand tools do work de-limbing and felling, a chainsaw is a lot faster and easier.

7. Security is your own responsibility after a disaster. The police will be busy dealing with looters and murders. Instead of pointing guns at people, take pictures of people who don't belong in your neighborhood and point them out to your neighbors. Criminals and potential criminals really seem to hate that.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #18

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I like everyone else is concern about survival in the case of a natural disaster. And I read all the preper posts thinking I can gain some insite on what to do. But the biggest problem is not how much water to store or what caliber of rifle or pistol to take with. The biggest problem as I see it is that there is a lack of understanding the KNOWLEDGE is the most important thing you need.

Most items that we think we need are used up or gone in a short matter of time. Carring hundreds of lbs of equipment and supplies, will get you killed, you car/van/suv will be of no use to you. Carring water is not only time consuming but heavy and will slow you down. So what do you need?

Well when you get dropped in the middle of the jungle in Panama, the only thing you take with is your clothes on your back and a hunting knife, that is it. You do have a vast knowledge of information on how to survive and are expected to use it.

The problem with living in a push button world is that the buttons will not work in a SHTF environment. What you need is knowledge, get all the books you can carry from the library on survival and read them then teach them to your family for they can survive incase something happens to you.

Then drive your van or suv to a national forest with no equipment in it and try out your survival knowledge, build a leanto, start a fire without matches or lighters, trap or snare small creatures for food or find grubs to eat, just don't get stopped for hunting without a lic. or out of season. Learn how to get water from plants, how many calories you need each day to survive, what plants are edible and which are posionous. How to navigate without a compus or GPS unit, which way streams flow, how to spear fish, how to make a teepee, how to make a stone ax, how to make spears, what plants can be used as string and how to make rope. How to deal with wild animals, how to tell the weather from the smoke from your camp fire. How to carve out wooden bowls, spoons and how to make knives and axes from base metals (iron) or from stone. Which caves will be safe and which will not.

If you are going back to the Stone Age, you should learn how to live like a Stone Age Cave Man.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 05-04-2013 at 04:28 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #19

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Anybody heard of aquaponics? I'm curious as to how to set one up cheaply and what kind of fish are best to have.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #20

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Depends on if you are going to eat the fish or not.

Stop by here http://theaquaponicsource.com/2010/08/09/aquaponics-how-to-part-2-grow-beds-and-fish-tanks They have all the information you need.

Jim