Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Recentley started prepping (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/recentley-started-prepping-89937/)

onewaywooten 05-02-2013 01:48 AM

Recentley started prepping
 
I've got some basics, ammo , guns and some food. I'm looking for opinions on where to prioritize . How much supply of each should I have ?? What else should I have in my stockpile ? Any comments (ansewers) would be appreciated.

txpossum 05-02-2013 01:58 AM

It seems to me that most people who "prep" struggle with these questions. A lot of it depends on where you live, whether you will most likely have to bug out or hunker down, how many you are prepping for, and other factors that apply to your individual situation.

What is your water supply like? Will you be dependant on water storage, or do you have a well or other source available? Will you need to filter water?I think you should have a minimum of three months food supply for each person you are preparing for. I would have at least 500 rounds of ammo for each caliber of firearm you own.

I recently realized that while I had been worried about ammo and food, I was ignoring some basics like nails and duct tape. Get a supply of batteries. Candles. Do you have a way to cook if the power was shut off? How about heat during cold weather?

Think about what you would need for an extended camping trip.

Anna_Purna 05-02-2013 03:25 AM

From a survivalist viewpoint, Shelter, then Water, then food. You can die from Hypothermia in a few hours if you have no proper shelter depending on the elements you are forced to survive in. Then you will need water to keep going. And food you can if you have to live for a few weeks without any.
It is also nice to have a stash of supplies in different locations, just in case your main location is destroyed, or you have to make a run for it.
Also a nice basic bolt action 22 rifle can become silent death using the right ammunition, and you could hunt at night and not attract any attention to yourself while doing so.

darthjkf 05-02-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onewaywooten
I've got some basics, ammo , guns and some food. I'm looking for opinions on where to prioritize . How much supply of each should I have ?? What else should I have in my stockpile ? Any comments (ansewers) would be appreciated.

What kind of prepping end world, natural disaster , or war? It depends.

hiwall 05-02-2013 03:38 AM

There is a sister website to this one.................
www.preparedsociety.com

Lots of good info and good people. Stop in there and read awhile. You will be glad you did.

locutus 05-02-2013 05:39 PM

The hardest thing for some preppers to accept is that even though you have 5 ARs, 5 AKs, a half dozen 22s, a dozen handguns, and a pickup truck loaded with two pallets of ammo, you can't eat that stuff. Or drink it. Or use it to keep warm or dry.

Ever wonder how much a bottle of ibuprofen or Tylenol would be worth in a survival situation? Or a vial of Tetracycline? Or Vicodin?? a LARGE bottle of multi-vitamin/minerals supplements?

How about a sleeping bag, or even a blanket? Halazone tablets for purifying water?

A small chainsaw and 2 gallons of fuel? A Coleman lantern? A ham radio? A cord of wood for the fireplace? A large box of batteries?

gearhead396 05-02-2013 06:05 PM

I have recently started prepping myself. And yes I have guns ammo and food. But i also have a good sized go bag. With rope/climbing gear, Water filtration tablets and two life straws. Fire starter, tender, small machete and knife, rain gear, a trail tent, coil spring and snare traps, datrex emergency food bars and water bags. First aid kit, mylar blankets/bags. a flashlight and batteries, extra clothes a coat. Aspirin, tylenol, Advil, nasal spray quick clot. and cricket 22 rifle and ammo. The cricket rifle is still on my to buy list though. Everything else is in my room ready to go. I believe it is important to have everything you need if happen to have to set up in them middle if no where. I have tried to think of everything but I'm always looking for more ideas. Oh I forgot I also have a set of 2 way radios.

locutus 05-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead396 (Post 1234215)
I have recently started prepping myself. And yes I have guns ammo and food. But i also have a good sized go bag. With rope/climbing gear, Water filtration tablets and two life straws. Fire starter, tender, small machete and knife, rain gear, a trail tent, coil spring and snare traps, datrex emergency food bars and water bags. First aid kit, mylar blankets/bags. a flashlight and batteries, extra clothes a coat. Aspirin, tylenol, Advil, nasal spray quick clot. and cricket 22 rifle and ammo. The cricket rifle is still on my to buy list though. Everything else is in my room ready to go. I believe it is important to have everything you need if happen to have to set up in them middle if no where. I have tried to think of everything but I'm always looking for more ideas. Oh I forgot I also have a set of 2 way radios.


How about friends.neighbors allies etc to go with??

If your family is alone, what happens if you break Leg??

gearhead396 05-03-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus

How about friends.neighbors allies etc to go with??

If your family is alone, what happens if you break Leg??

Yes good points I need to get other people In on it. Problem is most of my friends just think I'm crazy lol.

rifleman77 05-03-2013 04:13 PM

You may look into fishing gear and a bow or crossbow. If your not a hunter get a little experience this season. Guns are loud and scream "I have valuable items". Opening day for bows you never hear a sound. Opening day for firearms it sounds like ww3.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.