Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > raw eggs for barter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default raw eggs for barter?

I have in the past picked up some info. on storing fresh eggs. I have tried this and with a moisture absorber they should last quite some time. Mine lasted a year. I did however learn that you need to keep moisture out of this method.
1.........5 gallon plastic with sealed lid
2.........pour salt to cover bottom of the bucket deep enough to keep eggs from touching bottom or other eggs.
3..........gently place eggs in bottom with round side down
4..........continue with another layer of salt to cover eggs
5..........keep going up till top is reached.
6..........cover eggs completely on top later leaving 3/4 inch for lid and moisture absorbers. I was able to put 12 dozen eggs in a sealed container. the good thing about this is that both items are sought after in emergency situations. let me know how it works for you as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

That's good info, but I wonder how well they taste compared to fresh eggs?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ever try sodium silicate? Used to be called egg keep. Its also called water glass. It seals the pores on eggshells.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Ever try sodium silicate? Used to be called egg keep. Its also called water glass. It seals the pores on eggshells.
Never have but worth looking into after a google search.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #5

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I put a raw egg in the freezer 2 weeks ago to see if it would freeze. Yep it will and they split open too.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Default Wtf

At any given time untill winter sets in you can find fresh eggs in La. Not all of them will be from a chicken. I prefer my 1 yr. old eggs pickled. washed down with a good Bloody Mary. Stay away from this one getven.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I spent some of my childhood in a bona fide organic hippie commune, people there used to dip eggs in molten lard to create an air and moisture proof coating, I always though it would work better with candle wax but I have no special knowledge on the topic.

They would last a year or more this way if the seal is kept solid, advantage to this method is it's super low tech.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7782 Times on 4496 Posts
Likes Given: 10035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrenzy View Post
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I spent some of my childhood in a bona fide organic hippie commune, people there used to dip eggs in molten lard to create an air and moisture proof coating, I always though it would work better with candle wax but I have no special knowledge on the topic.

They would last a year or more this way if the seal is kept solid, advantage to this method is it's super low tech.
I grew up in a California commune and we just raised chickens that laid eggs, same as we do now. I have too many eggs and just enough chickens. Never thought about storing them for a year. Never saw the need. I could use more chickens though in case I need to start eating them.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8405 Times on 3641 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Yep- anything that seals the egg from air will preserve it for a surprisingly long time. Lard works, and does water glass. As far as flavor- not much change. IIRC,, one of the land grant universities actually ran a legit study on long term storage- flavor was OK out to about 11 months of pore sealed/ refrigerated storage.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have heard from old time Alaskans that the waterglass stored eggs gave fearsome farts.