Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   raw eggs for barter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/raw-eggs-barter-43489/)

Cadoll 06-06-2011 01:01 AM

raw eggs for barter?

I have in the past picked up some info. on storing fresh eggs. I have tried this and with a moisture absorber they should last quite some time. Mine lasted a year. I did however learn that you need to keep moisture out of this method.
1.........5 gallon plastic with sealed lid
2.........pour salt to cover bottom of the bucket deep enough to keep eggs from touching bottom or other eggs.
3..........gently place eggs in bottom with round side down
4..........continue with another layer of salt to cover eggs
5..........keep going up till top is reached.
6..........cover eggs completely on top later leaving 3/4 inch for lid and moisture absorbers. I was able to put 12 dozen eggs in a sealed container. the good thing about this is that both items are sought after in emergency situations. let me know how it works for you as well.

Davo45 06-24-2011 11:43 AM

That's good info, but I wonder how well they taste compared to fresh eggs?

oldshooter 06-24-2011 08:13 PM

Ever try sodium silicate? Used to be called egg keep. Its also called water glass. It seals the pores on eggshells.

Cadoll 06-26-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldshooter (Post 528729)
Ever try sodium silicate? Used to be called egg keep. Its also called water glass. It seals the pores on eggshells.

Never have but worth looking into after a google search.

opaww 06-26-2011 03:41 PM

I put a raw egg in the freezer 2 weeks ago to see if it would freeze. Yep it will and they split open too.

willshoum 06-26-2011 04:10 PM

Wtf

At any given time untill winter sets in you can find fresh eggs in La. Not all of them will be from a chicken.:eek: I prefer my 1 yr. old eggs pickled. washed down with a good Bloody Mary. Stay away from this one getven.....:D

Phrenzy 06-29-2011 08:58 AM

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I spent some of my childhood in a bona fide organic hippie commune, people there used to dip eggs in molten lard to create an air and moisture proof coating, I always though it would work better with candle wax but I have no special knowledge on the topic.

They would last a year or more this way if the seal is kept solid, advantage to this method is it's super low tech.

Vikingdad 07-03-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrenzy (Post 531313)
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but I spent some of my childhood in a bona fide organic hippie commune, people there used to dip eggs in molten lard to create an air and moisture proof coating, I always though it would work better with candle wax but I have no special knowledge on the topic.

They would last a year or more this way if the seal is kept solid, advantage to this method is it's super low tech.

I grew up in a California commune and we just raised chickens that laid eggs, same as we do now. I have too many eggs and just enough chickens. Never thought about storing them for a year. Never saw the need. I could use more chickens though in case I need to start eating them.

c3shooter 07-03-2011 05:18 AM

Yep- anything that seals the egg from air will preserve it for a surprisingly long time. Lard works, and does water glass. As far as flavor- not much change. IIRC,, one of the land grant universities actually ran a legit study on long term storage- flavor was OK out to about 11 months of pore sealed/ refrigerated storage.

freefall 07-03-2011 05:50 AM

I have heard from old time Alaskans that the waterglass stored eggs gave fearsome farts.:rolleyes: