Rattlesnakes 101 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Rattlesnakes 101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Treatment for snakebite

Snake venom does not travel through the body via the circulatory system, their fangs are usually too short. Venom (snake and spider) is transported throughout the body via the lymphatic system, which in the limbs, is situated a couple of millimetres below the surface of the skin. Where the lymphatic system converges at the lymph nodes (in the groin, armpits and neck), it is situated deeper within the tissue; you do not want venom getting here! Once venom reaches the lymph nodes it is transferred into the veins and WILL reach the brain and heart.
Keep the bite victim calm, this is probably the most important thing to remember. A high heart rate accelerates the function of the lymphatic system, and will lead to the venom acting on the body quicker.
Do not wash the area, as this will wash away venom on the skin that will assist the hospital in identifying the snake species (if you can't) so they can deliver the correct antivenine. Keep the victim calm.
Bandage firmly (but not tightly) the bitten limb starting from the top and working down towards the bite, then back up again. Example: If the bite is on the ankle, bandage from the groin, down over the knee, over the affected area, then back up towards the knee and finishing at the groin again. This will not cut off the circulation but will inhibit the action of the lymphatic system and hopefully prevent venom from reaching the lymph nodes. Keep the victim calm.
Splint the affected limb to stop the muscles from 'pumping' the venom towards the heart and brain, and restrict all movement from the victim. Keep the victim calm.
Get the victim to the hospital post haste and if possible ring ahead and advise them they have a snakebite victim inbound and to have (snake species) antivenine available. If you don't know the species tell them this, they should have a universal antivenine on hand. Did I mention to keep the victim calm?

Most snakes will never bite something without provocation. Contrary to belief, few will ever actively persue a victim either. When you're out in the bush 99.99% of the time you'll be fine. If you do get bitten though, make sure follow these steps!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #12

Liked 949 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

I see 1 or 2 a year, but ive found they would rather leave you alone. ive about stepped on one a couple of times (they blend in quite well) but never had one strike at me. with that said if i find one in the yard i vaporize its noggin with a 12ga filled with birdshot. im with you jeep, the snakes freak me out too!!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

When I lived Outside I used to say I hate snakes. Now that I live in God's country where there are none I can admit they scare the bejabbers out of me. If one were ever to bite me I would just croak as a matter of GP.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts

I'm in Salome, AZ on an airpark. My wife called me and let me know there was a rattler under the hose reel. I checked--bang-bank--no more rattler. It was a Western Diamondback. The scorpions outnumber the snakes about 20-1
Cheers:

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 04-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #15

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jeepcreep, you crack me up! I guess you'll never be a boot dealer!

Since I started watching Steve Irwin, I figured I could catch a snake, just like he can. I'm certain, however, if I ever encountered a coiled up snake I'd run through the 12fretter shaped hole in the next available wall. Of course, in Knoxville, the only thing I occasionally have to deal with are Kentucky fans. Ba da tishhhhh.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:18 AM   #16

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts

When treating American rattle snake bites. There is no need to concern your self with the kind of rattler that caused the wound. All rattle snake bits are treated with the same anti-venoms. These treatments depending on your state can run over $7000.00 dollars. You can get your dog a shot that protects them in most cases for around $50 bucks. This shot is given before the bite and a booster shot is needed each year.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

What they dont tell you is that 90 percent of those bites are preventable. A large portion are from dumb drunks trying to catch them, followed closely by sober individuals trying to catch or piss them off. I grew up in the Arizona desert and had only 2 run ins with rattle snakes that I didnt want to happen. I always heard the rattle and payed attention to where they might be. I might add they were tasty.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
If more people ate rattle snake you would not have a problem, same as the coonass and the Grobeck an the White Ibis......
I ate rattle snake one time at the Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo TX as a appetizer, It sucks believe me it don't taste like chicken, Bony, tuff and tastes like SH#TT

"ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, WHERE'S MY GODDAMN THOMPSON"
By Lester Gillis AKA George Baby Face Nelson

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterratt View Post
I ate rattle snake one time at the Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo TX as a appetizer, It sucks believe me it don't taste like chicken, Bony, tuff and tastes like SH#TT
It has to be cooked right. Cowboys need to cook it for you, my dad was a cowboy and he cooks the hell out of it.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts

Not everyone who is bitten by a snake is drunk or stupid. I was in a search and rescue unit for many years. I have seen many people who were injured by snakes who were just working at a job or making a living. It is just like a fall not everyone injured in a fall is drunk or stupid. The very idea that a rattler warns before it strickes only happens in old cowboy movies.

Newest Threads