Treatment for snakebite
Snake venom does not travel through the body via the circulatory system, their fangs are usually too short. Venom (snake and spider) is transported throughout the body via the lymphatic system, which in the limbs, is situated a couple of millimetres below the surface of the skin. Where the lymphatic system converges at the lymph nodes (in the groin, armpits and neck), it is situated deeper within the tissue; you do not want venom getting here!
Once venom reaches the lymph nodes it is transferred into the veins and WILL reach the brain and heart.
Keep the bite victim calm, this is probably the most important thing to remember. A high heart rate accelerates the function of the lymphatic system, and will lead to the venom acting on the body quicker.
Do not wash the area, as this will wash away venom on the skin that will assist the hospital in identifying the snake species (if you can't) so they can deliver the correct antivenine. Keep the victim calm.
Bandage firmly (but not tightly) the bitten limb starting from the top and working down towards the bite, then back up again. Example: If the bite is on the ankle, bandage from the groin, down over the knee, over the affected area, then back up towards the knee and finishing at the groin again.
This will not cut off the circulation but will inhibit the action of the lymphatic system and hopefully prevent venom from reaching the lymph nodes. Keep the victim calm.
Splint the affected limb to stop the muscles from 'pumping' the venom towards the heart and brain, and restrict all movement from the victim. Keep the victim calm.
Get the victim to the hospital post haste and if possible ring ahead and advise them they have a snakebite victim inbound and to have (snake species) antivenine available. If you don't know the species tell them this, they should have a universal antivenine on hand. Did I mention to keep the victim calm?
Most snakes will never bite something without provocation. Contrary to belief, few will ever actively persue a victim either. When you're out in the bush 99.99% of the time you'll be fine. If you do get bitten though, make sure follow these steps!