You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Random thoughts on survival.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 765 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Random thoughts on survival.

Today Id came across some notes Id taken during a wilderness first aid course.

One their topics was natural disaster and what current ambulance per population density, on average its one ambulance per 135K people, imagine a post disaster emergency response would be rather slow in responding.

One fellow Id worked with was talking about post Katrina shutdown of transportation. He'd mentioned using a chainsaw to clear miles of road.
TLuker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13353 Times on 5667 Posts
Likes Given: 2217

My home county has 1 ambulance per 3139 people. However, the issue is going to be mobility- assuming you can reach the patient, can you reach the hospital?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Liked 765 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 49

That can be an issue, if say a earth quake in a populated area the ambulance may be mobbed.

A couple weeks back Id volunteered to help out at a local Vet clinic.
Got to see the veterinarian work, had me prepping the area for surgery. Being 540 air miles from a major city like Anchorage, the Vet flies out every 4 months for a 3-4 day general clinic of Spay and Neuter, worked on a leg tumor, the experence was esp interesting.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 10-21-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts

As a child of the "duck and cover" period, my survival philosophy features a "shelter in place" mentality. My family all lives within 5 minute walk, in a rural farming village. My plans are intentionally vague, with a basis in community, helping all to be able to fend off the Orcs, both organized and disorganized.

Depending on government services is a hollow wish. They will all be overwhelmed and depleted in the lifetime of a small insect.

Greg

Last edited by glangelius; 10-22-2015 at 01:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3577 Times on 1972 Posts
Likes Given: 1038

The government does have lots of body bags and ammunition.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 964 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The government does have lots of body bags and ammunition.
The only government I trust is a 45-70
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 1315

The Rocky Mountains attracts hundreds of would be Mountain explorers each summer. The Fall hunting season brings many out of shape urban cardiac patents to be.
The hospitals are often hours away. Every small town in these visited areas has Heliports. The bright Red Choppers stay busy.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:46 AM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13353 Times on 5667 Posts
Likes Given: 2217

Quote:
The Rocky Mountains attracts hundreds of would be Mountain explorers each summer.
The fall hunting season brings many hunters that stumble across the remains of some of the would be Mountain explorers. Mother Nature has no pity.

The most sensible thing I can recall that Colorado did- was to pass a law that if you require rescue- you are going to pay for it. Small rural counties were getting bankrupted by dingbats that decided to ski from Telluride to Crested Butte in January. If you buy a hunting or fishing license, part of that money went to a rescue fund.

To get back to the original topic, in the event of a widespread natural disaster, not only will hospitals and med centers be swamped- they may have their own set of problems. Most will have emergency power for a while- but I have lived thru getting emergency WATER supplies to a 500 bed hospital when the city water failed after a tropical storm/ flood. They will have not only a limited amount of medical supplies/ drugs, but limited amounts of food. Can their staff get TO the hospital?

I would be looking closer to home- our local doctors, nurses, EMTs- and yes, our veterinarians! What emergency medical supplies- and KNOWLEDGE- have you prepared in advance? Don't tell me what you can look up on the internet- if your ISP is down.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 1315

Yes, I think most of the Western Counties must suffer the cost. There have been a number of law suits regarding the charges for rescue. Courts have ruled that people may risk their lives and other lives to avoid the cost of a rescue. There are some fines levied on people who trespass and require costly rescues.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 406 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The fall hunting season brings many hunters that stumble across the remains of some of the would be Mountain explorers. Mother Nature has no pity.

The most sensible thing I can recall that Colorado did- was to pass a law that if you require rescue- you are going to pay for it. Small rural counties were getting bankrupted by dingbats that decided to ski from Telluride to Crested Butte in January. If you buy a hunting or fishing license, part of that money went to a rescue fund.

To get back to the original topic, in the event of a widespread natural disaster, not only will hospitals and med centers be swamped- they may have their own set of problems. Most will have emergency power for a while- but I have lived thru getting emergency WATER supplies to a 500 bed hospital when the city water failed after a tropical storm/ flood. They will have not only a limited amount of medical supplies/ drugs, but limited amounts of food. Can their staff get TO the hospital?

I would be looking closer to home- our local doctors, nurses, EMTs- and yes, our veterinarians! What emergency medical supplies- and KNOWLEDGE- have you prepared in advance? Don't tell me what you can look up on the internet- if your ISP is down.
Most veterinarians are more Intune even to the human anatomy and seem to be a it more capable in some cases as their patients can not talk and tell them what it wrong or where it hurts so I would not hesitate seeking help from a veterinarian in an disaster situation warranted it