Quikclot for those unfortunate life moments
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Quikclot for those unfortunate life moments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Quikclot for those unfortunate life moments

I know this has been brought up before but has anyone actually used the stuff? I carry a homemade first aid kit in my backpack when I ride my Shadow or when I'm popping cans in the woods. I'd like to know its limitations like what to not put it on. I hate being sewn up even when the adrenaline's still in my head. Let me know what y'all think.

Oh, & don't get stabbed.... It sucks.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've always preferred stitches to pretty much all the other alternatives. My Dad and I have both stitched each other up. It gets the job done, doesn't hurt too much, is cheap as hell, and is as permanent as you need.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 AM   #3

Do you use a suture kit or improvise?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Most people in most situations clot naturally pretty well. First is pressure with an absorbing compress. Suturing is definitely NOT a first step, but I'm assuming you know this. I just don't know how suturing got into this conversation...especially if one is bleeding without clotting.

I don't personally have QwikClot in my range bag homemade first aid kits...but I do have a maxipad.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not a legitimate kit, but we have most of the gear. A nurse just gave my Dad the needle and way more than enough thread when he told her he didn't need pain killers, he just needed to get back to work. She just wasn't prepared to do that. And we've had the clamps for veins and the things to hold the needles, as well as a pair of surgical scissors, for a while.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 06-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Not a legitimate kit, but we have most of the gear. A nurse just gave my Dad the needle and way more than enough thread when he told her he didn't need pain killers, he just needed to get back to work. She just wasn't prepared to do that. And we've had the clamps for veins and the things to hold the needles, as well as a pair of surgical scissors, for a while.
Sounds kinda like mine. I've been scrounging up medical supplies for a little while.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My father-in-law is a medical doctor and is willing to prescribe a few key antibiotics (hasn't gotten around to it yet):

Amoxicillin (30-500mg or 30-250mg)
Erythromycin EC (28-350mg)
Septra (SMZ-TMP DS) (20-800mg-160mg)
Keflex (cephalexin) (28-250mg or 30-500mg)
Tetracycline (60-500mg or 60-250mg)
Gentamicin (5ml)

Walmart will fill these for $4 each. This isn't illegal or unethical.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

Liked 315 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Got the Adventure brand ultralight/watertight Medical Kit .9 last year for back back and of course added some stuff to the kit. One of the things was QuickClot Sport Silver (25G). Never intended to add the QuickClot but my friend suggested to me to add it to med kit. Never have used this stuff. Guess it'll work if someone is bleeding real bad. Won't know until I have to use it but I hope I never have to. I do know that it's spendy.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=191&catname=QuikClot&prodname= QuikClot® Sport™ Silver 25g/pack

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=235#

Last edited by mrm14; 06-25-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #9

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quikclot does work and i have seen it used, if you dont like stitches you will not like quickclot, it works by pretty much burning the wet area where blood is coming from and it burns like hell, you have to be VERY careful about where it is used and what type of wounds it is used on (major) and remember it is only temp you still have to get put back together after the quikclot is scraped out of the wound. When i was in the military they issued it to us and after the first few times we had to use it they removed it from our med kits as it caused to much damage if the wound is not just right. Most people think its a awsome way to seal a big gash and thats not what it was made for and they find out the hard way.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #10

Liked 315 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Quikclot does work and i have seen it used, if you dont like stitches you will not like quickclot, it works by pretty much burning the wet area where blood is coming from and it burns like hell, you have to be VERY careful about where it is used and what type of wounds it is used on (major) and remember it is only temp you still have to get put back together after the quikclot is scraped out of the wound. When i was in the military they issued it to us and after the first few times we had to use it they removed it from our med kits as it caused to much damage if the wound is not just right. Most people think its a awsome way to seal a big gash and thats not what it was made for and they find out the hard way.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it should only be used by someone properly trained in its use, which I am not. I guess the sponge in the kit it treated with a compound that chemically cauterizes the wet wound. I wonder if they're using Silver Nitrate. Regardless, I think I'll remove it from my med kit.

Last edited by mrm14; 06-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.