QuickClot Sport
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > QuickClot Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default QuickClot Sport

Anybody used, or at least provisioned, with Z-Medica's QuickClot Sport and/or the Sport Silver?

The military uses them in the field. These days it is a mesh sponge with the mineral zeolite that absorbs water in the blood, leaving only the larger platelets and cloting molecules behind. It stops big bleeds in three to five minutes, according to the Armed Forces.

The Sport Silver includes natural antibiotic silver and is much more expensive but BOTH are pricey. I was reminded of them because I ripped open a shin today getting into my car when I slammed it into an open compartment door edge like someone hitting me with a dull hatchet. It hurt like heck but I couldn't look at it for a while. I cleaned the big surface wound with 90%+ alcohol when I got home (man did I see stars!) and put an oversized sport "band-aid" bandage on it with antibiotic ointment. I was reminded I only have two 3.5"x3.5" QuickClots in my GHB -- one is Silver.

These are really only to be used when extreme bleeding cannot otherwise be stopped, as in by simple pressure, until proper aid can be obtained. They do not repair skin, do not reconnect severed arteries, etc. But when you are surviving out of a bag they could come in handy...

Thoughts? Best places to buy? Alternatives (little styptic pencils, stop-bleeding powders which get crud stuck inside the wound, Crazy Glue single serving 5-packs...)!?

quickclot-sport-silver.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

I thought they were carcinogenic, I could be wrong it's been a few years since my training on them. I mean if it's a truly life threatening injury then who cares but we were warned repeatedly to only use them in a life and death situation.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

I keep a quickclot sponge in my truck along with some gauze,bandages,medical tape. Wouldn't use it unless it was an emergency but its there none the less.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I thought they were carcinogenic, I could be wrong it's been a few years since my training on them. I mean if it's a truly life threatening injury then who cares but we were warned repeatedly to only use them in a life and death situation.
Most carcinogens take repeated exposure to cause cancer.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a couple of QuickClot packets in each of my first aid kits.