Quick poll, how equipped are you RIGHT NOW?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Quick poll, how equipped are you RIGHT NOW?

View Poll Results: How prepared are you?
I have made ZERO preparations, consider me dead! 12 13.04%
I've made SOME preparations like extra food & supplies 38 41.30%
I've got enough food & supplies to last 2-3 months 22 23.91%
I've got enough food & supplies to last 6 months 9 9.78%
I'm ready to survive & thrive for at least a year! 11 11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Quick poll, how equipped are you RIGHT NOW?

I know this might be beating a dead horse but I am a member who RARELY posts about prepping and want to gauge where some folks are in the process.

--hypothetical scenario--

If something were to happen to this country on a mass scale in ONE MONTH from now....would you be prepared enough to get by for 3-6 months? How prepared are you right now, and what would you do to improve on it in the next 30 days before the country went down the tubes?

I'm not a true prepper. I dont buy all the infowars/etc hype but I do think its possible for a double dip recession and lots of REAL struggles lying in front of us on the horizon. I mean we are just days from possibly laying off 10's of thousands of gov employees. This COULD lead to some serious crime issues nationwide, particularly the densely populated urban areas. Thats just my personal take on the current climate.

Me? I'm at about a 2 out of 5 right now, working towards a 3 by the end of the month. Hopefully reaching a 4 in the next 3-4 months. I'm not in a financial situation to go all out so I'm doing things piece by piece. I have about 30-40 days of food/water for my family, decent supply of ammo (Im not a fan of airing exact numbers on a public forum), some basic meds and medical kits, supplies and Yes, firearms.

My next step is doubling my food supplies, topping off ammo & basic sustenance supplies, packing up a REAL Bug bag and having a basic plan in place if phone communication was cut out. All the loose ends that could turn chaotic if I dont plan them out ahead of time.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 03-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Still working on it.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7684 Times on 4174 Posts
Likes Given: 16102

I have no stores of supplies, but I do have guns. I figure in an Armageddon situation, I will be able to acquire necessities from those who are better prepared than I.

image-284698851.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

dango Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I've been through a couple of hurricanes.

I have my signs professionally printed on how I shoot if you loot.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1422 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 3039

I'm a solid 3 right now, and in all reality probably a 4. As for what I would do over the next month, well that would depend entirely on what's going to happen.

If our currency was going to collapse I would take every dime I have and buy material items such as hand tools and salt. Those things will continue to have value and would be needed.

If our entire civilization was going to collapse I would take every dime I have and again buy material things like hand tools and salt. I would also stock up on more food.

If I was going to loose my job next week due the economy, which I probably am, I would save every dime I have to make sure I didn't have any stress until I found another job. Fortunately, I have saved pretty well and I'm not feeling any stress right now.

If I was going to lose my job and knew that I wouldn't be able to find another one because the economy was going to crash but our infrastructure remained intact, I would continue on as normal because that's what I've always prepared for.

One thing I would like to do this month regardless of what is going to happen is get more fruit trees in the ground. In particular, I've been learning about apples and cherries. I never realized how little I knew about them. Learning about apple trees in particular has really been interesting.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #6

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I could live for 2-3 months without changing my lifestyle at all. If I decided to ration I could probably last a year. But I have a big freezer full of food. I have a generator. But only enough gas to fun for about 2 weeks if I run it for 10 minutes every hour. That is all it takes to keep a refrigerator or freezer operating if you keep the door closed. I have just been offered a 45 watt solar panel set up for free. I plan on setting it up for my camper in a portable fashion.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #7

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm a good solid "1", almost a two. I have enough to hopefully get myself and my son to my BOL, possibly even on foot, and that is all.

I did buy a new BOB a few days ago. An old Alice pack I found for 30 bucks without frame. I don't care what anyone says, I used the mountain rucks in Afhanistan (just a bigger version of the Alice), and I have the utmost respect for it.
This one will be my son's. I'll be packing it light enough for him to carry. I'm going to save up a few more pennies and get a mountain ruck for myself with a frame, then start reorganizing my old BOBs into the new ones.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #8

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I just realized a few hours ago that someone stole my backpack out of my Blazer. That really pisses me off. It wasn't a real BOB. It was just a cheap back pack with on old coat, a winter hat and gloves as well as a bottle of water. I just had it because my Blaser is 31 years old. It runs great. But I like to be prepared in case I were to break down in the winter. I guess I will have to start locking the doors. I am I more upset about someone getting into my truck than the loss of the pack. I thought this belongs in this thread as a reminder to check on your preps now and then. We may not be as ready as we think we are.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #9

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Good call Rick, sorry that happened. Thanks guys who participated...looks as though most of us are on the same level 2/3 boat right now. Thats good to hear. The worst that can happen if NOTHING drastic happens is that you are stocked up good. The best that can happen, is you out-live many folks who didnt prepare in advance.

Happy travels ladies & gents

Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

[/QUOTE]
One thing I would like to do this month regardless of what is going to happen is get more fruit trees in the ground. In particular, I've been learning about apples and cherries. I never realized how little I knew about them. Learning about apple trees in particular has really been interesting. [/QUOTE]

Look into "Splicing Trees." Pretty interesting concept I happened upon a couple months ago. It allows you to grow multiple variations of fruit on a single tree. As an example you can grow red and green apples as well as certain breeds of pears on one base apple tree. Same with Citrus trees. Orange, lemon and lime. Etc. super simple too. Nothing more than cutting and using rooting solution and basic Splints to have them grow into one another. This is generalized. There are specific rules to it though. Certain trees won't sustain certain fruits etc.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

People Like This