Quick its SHTF what gun(s) do u grab - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Quick its SHTF what gun(s) do u grab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101
Pop corn for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is why I don't buy the premium membership. I'd be too tempted to post in the political section. Even though I'm usually on the same side as the majority of people here, it's just more fun to watch people get mad at each other than it is to be in the middle of it. Mmmm popcorn.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #82

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

In all honesty I would pack a gun that would help me steal toliet paper the easiest and would also be good for holding up the ABC store.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1218 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
In all honesty I would pack a gun that would help me steal toliet paper the easiest and would also be good for holding up the ABC store.
There is no gun good for holding up an ABC store. They've already seen whatever you bring! Remember the L.A. riots? There was a reason no one looted the Korean stores. The ABC stores might not be Korean but they are just as prepared.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1086 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Not everyone can afford the unconstitutional fees and licensing for class 3 and nfa nor the damn 50000 it would cost to buy a mg. how is this a movie script it is actually plausible say another economic meltdown causing the dollar to lose more value so the treasury prints more bills and hyperinflation sets in. Milk starts costing $10 a gallon then $20 and so on other products too. Soldiers can't afford to feed families on what they are getting paid in hyper inflated economy and start deserting fuel costs rise grounding air traffic and military training (this just happened recently) causing our pilots to not get enough stick time to keep qualified food costs rise so much that looting and rioting starts military is called in to enforce martial law but wait they haven't gotten paid and have deserted or as seen in Katrina with police refuse to report because of fear for families getting caught in the lawlessness. This is an actual possibility it may be slim to none but is actually feasible that is a true shtf situation in my book or as some others have said in other threads the Yellowstone super caldera blowing, solar emp, and many others there is a reason they make movies like that because most have some basis in reality
Let's have a think about this one.

Our military are some of the only folks I know of who say F you to all the unconstitutional and illegal crap that our so-called civilian leadership wants to do to us, and if a really bad situation ever lands on America's doorstep where we need them, you want to steal their weapons and ammunition?

So, let's say that you could do this, doubtful, and it was legal, which it is not, who is carrying this thing and all the ammunition for just a few minutes worth of firing time? You said you were a disabled combat veteran, so why grab the heaviest weapon one man could possibly carry?

What would a M240 do for you that the M-14 wouldn't? Call me crazy, but if I were going to carry that weight in weapons and ammo, which I would not, I think I'd want most of that weight to be ammo instead of guns. An equipped M-14 (optics, weapon light, sling) with about 7 or 8 mags is going to weigh the same as the M240. If you had a SCAR, you could carry even more mags. I hope you're eating your Wheaties.

If, for some strange reason, I ever had to leave my home and wander off to parts unknown, I think I'd take a 9mm pistol.

If someone wants to kill me and take what I have, they're going to find a way to do it and it won't matter what I am or am not armed with. The pistol is just there for those who are stupid enough (most criminals) to get in my face and threaten me before attempting to do whatever it was they were going to do anyway.

When milk gets to $10 a gallon, it won't matter whether or not you can get a machine gun because most Americans will be too busy trying not to starve to death to worry about starting a civil war or the like. We've been there before, it was called The Great Depression. Life was very austere in America at that time and yet very few people were out running around with machine guns and they were legal back then.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

Our military are some of the only folks I know of who say F you to all the unconstitutional and illegal crap that our so-called civilian leadership wants to do to us, and if a really bad situation ever lands on America's doorstep where we need them, you want to steal their weapons and ammunition?

So, let's say that you could do this, doubtful, and it was legal, which it is not, who is carrying this thing and all the ammunition for just a few minutes worth of firing time? You said you were a disabled combat veteran, so why grab the heaviest weapon one man could possibly carry?

What would a M240 do for you that the M-14 wouldn't? Call me crazy, but if I were going to carry that weight in weapons and ammo, which I would not, I think I'd want most of that weight to be ammo instead of guns. An equipped M-14 (optics, weapon light, sling) with about 7 or 8 mags is going to weigh the same as the M240. If you had a SCAR, you could carry even more mags. I hope you're eating your Wheaties.

If, for some strange reason, I ever had to leave my home and wander off to parts unknown, I think I'd take a 9mm pistol.

If someone wants to kill me and take what I have, they're going to find a way to do it and it won't matter what I am or am not armed with. The pistol is just there for those who are stupid enough (most criminals) to get in my face and threaten me before attempting to do whatever it was they were going to do anyway.

When milk gets to $10 a gallon, it won't matter whether or not you can get a machine gun because most Americans will be too busy trying not to starve to death to worry about starting a civil war or the like. We've been there before, it was called The Great Depression. Life was very austere in America at that time and yet very few people were out running around with machine guns and they were legal back then.
I agree with almost all of this. The only thing I'd add is about criminals getting in your face before an attack. Our guys were ambushed more than once by criminals during Katrina, and I know of one specific instance in which 2 of them fought off an entire gang that was posted up on a rooftop. When the SAW came out of the bottom the boat and started spitting rounds their way, they said the BGs freaked and literally started diving off the rooftop into the water on the other side.

I think I'd prefer to have a battle rifle with an optic and a light and plenty of ammo PLUS one of my Glocks for backup. With plenty of ammo. Probably an M4. Nice and light and so is the ammo.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-04-2013 at 04:31 PM.
JW357 Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #86
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3159 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

Yeah, Get an M14/Springfield M1,.....two Handguns & 500+ Rds.( I have much more the this but it's about what you can carry if you have to "bug out" instead of "Bugging in"),...extra Mags all around, some Newer MRE's, and Some Canned stuff,...I might shlep some extra Ammo for a shotgun(12Ga. Semi-auto)..
I also Have 3-1/2 extra Skids of Bottled Water, 2 full Freezers, Plus a Water Filtration system for the House(sealed!!), 2 Generators(5000 run w/6000 Peak, and 3200Run, 4000 Peak) and 5 trays or assdt. Canned Stuff, including hard to find stuff like Canned Fruit thats "No Sugar Added..." plus a frozen Turkey Breast & lots of Chicken....I'll just throw on a Pot of Soup, Chili, or Pasta & Sauce,..and wait it out...I can stretch what we have out to 100+ days,..maybe 120 Days of we're careful,..Plus we have 120+ days of the Puppie's Food & treats too...no reason for him to have to go Hungry..and he's crazy but a good WATCH dog, which is what you need...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 10-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #87

Liked 1128 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Heres what Im grabbin , Im gonna go to the kitchen , pop a fresh batch of jiffy pop popcorn, use the tin foil for my new hat and sit back and watch Jerry Springer . Have a good day all

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 389

For the longest time. I believed a 12 gauge shotgun would be the most effective versatile gun to grab for the 'one gun' scenario. Problem is, range is very limited and that's a huge disadvantage when considering in a SHTF situation....I'd like the ability to defend a larger area.

My S&W MP15 it is then!

Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
For the longest time. I believed a 12 gauge shotgun would be the most effective versatile gun to grab for the 'one gun' scenario. Problem is, range is very limited and that's a huge disadvantage when considering in a SHTF situation....I'd like the ability to defend a larger area. My S&W MP15 it is then!
Hey if you could stock up on Brenneke Special Forces Magnum Maximum Barrier Penetration slugs for longer distance shots you might have something going. If I remember right, with the right barrel and gun that stuff is zeroed in at 100 yards.

Just keep your backdrop in mind. That stuff will shoot through an engine block and into the cylinders and will go through a tire and rim and come out the other side.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1086 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 454

For a SHTF situation where you have to leave the relative safety of your home and neighborhood (which you should already be familiar with), it might be a good idea to invest in a pair of quality, compact binoculars. That way, you don't have to find out how good you are (or aren't) with your rifle of choice.

I realize lots of us here have been in the military, but things that worked acceptably well while part of a military unit may not work when it's just you and your family. This may only apply to my family, but my wife was never in the military, has never been shot at (even while escaping from communist Viet Nam), hasn't seen many dead bodies, and isn't equipped to deal with that. I'd like to keep it that way if at all possible.

Glass any area you need to move through first. If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't. Take the long way home if you need to. It's better than getting shot at.